UnevenEdge

Why is it so hard to get off the phone with some people

André Toulon

TL;DR Buddy's 14th thread about his phone hatred.

First of all, I don't like being used as white noise......My lady friend calls me just to sit on the phone and sleep.  If that's not annoying enough. I'll wake her up to tell her bye because I feel like it's a dick move to just hang up (even though I could just lie and say that i said "Love you, gnite" and she'd be none the wiser), and then she fabricate some weak ass jumping off point just so I'll respond and stay on the phone and she goes right back to sleep.  Just go to bed and let me go find some insomniac shit to do.

My mother is also hard to get off the phone with, but she's the opposite.....Like she just never runs out of things to say.  For a woman who rarely goes anywhere she has the most stories.  I usually just put her on speaker and walk off because she doesn't even pause to breathe, much less leave a gap for the other person to respond.  If you happen to find that narrow window to say "Oh look, I gotta go" she'll completely ignore you....Just keeps talking or says "wait a minute"........I can be at work, driving, being beaten my midgets and she just insists on telling me about some random person who I don't even know.

I fucking hate phones.

Ideally, a phone call should only be used for quick exchanges of information.

"Hey, it's me. I'll be at the place in this amount of time."

"Okay. Don't forget to bring the thing."

"I won't. Later."

That type of shit. Then, when you get to the thing, make all the small talk you want. A boring conversation in person is still annoying, but if it must be had, it's better than over the phone.

I'm even okay with small talk over text, because you can look at it, go back to doing whatever it is you're doing, and respond to it when you're good and ready. And if the other person gets pissed at you because you din't respond to their text in the time they wanted, just cover your ass by saying, "Well, we should just hang out more so we can talk." Which, obviously, makes you sound like a suave mofo.

Only clients call me these days....

But... people that treat text messages like phone puss me the fuck off... I have zero obligation to respond in YOUR understanding of timely manner... "I saw you post on Facebook but you can't respond to my text?" Yes... yes.

I know what you mean cuz in a very general way, I feel the same. Even as a young teen when all the girls sat on phones for hours, blech, I didn't like that shit. I do think its different if its somebody who lives far away and don't get to see often. Especially cuz I dont social media too much, if at all usually. Then there are actually reasons and things to talk about. So I can do it for hours easy peasy... but only those kind of people. Like once every one or two months I have one lengthy convo.

the sitting not saying shit is stupid...before LB and I moved in together, we would call each other every night but we fucking TALKED....and the not shutting up thing...that's totally me and my father...but I never see him, he lives back in NY and we probably only call each other once every 6 months....

the sitting not saying shit is stupid...before LB and I moved in together, we would call each other every night but we fucking TALKED....and the not shutting up thing...that's totally me and my father...but I never see him, he lives back in NY and we probably only call each other once every 6 months....

My mom is in MS and she and my daughter talk for hours because they both like to just talk about nothing.......Me and my son both pretend to be sleep or busy when she calls.

I used to chalk up my girl wanting to be on the phone for no reason to her being young (er than me), but then I thought about it.......32 ain't that young.

I can't do that because if I turn it off, I won't remember to turn it back on until Tuesday.....I'll be like "YAY, NO ONE IS CALLIN" *29 missed calls.*

Ah yes, the anxiety that follows the freedom of turning my phone off. I started doing this because client were calling me at 11pm to talk about their mortgage file.

Then the horror of the 30 seconds the phone takes to start up and the messages they just keep coming.

I can't do that because if I turn it off, I won't remember to turn it back on until Tuesday.....I'll be like "YAY, NO ONE IS CALLIN" *29 missed calls.*

also you get "WHAT IF IT WAS AN EMERGENCY?" like 80 times.

Like Sawdy, the only calls I get are from clients.  Thankfully, they aren't long winded to that extreme, but there are still a few people that don't know when to shut up.  The worst of them like to repeat shit overt and over like I didn't hear them literally thirty seconds prior.  It's almost a nervous tick.

I hate that type of shit.  I hate talking on the phone, texting I'm fine with cuz unless you're asking something that needs to be answered right away, I don't have to answer right away.

Everyone that knows me knows that over the phone I'm good for ten minutes tops, after that I'm in imagination land and I don't know wtf I just agreed to that pissed you off >:D

I have an Uncle in prison and I dread his calls cuz I'm locked into a 30 minute conversation about things I don't remember.  I tried passing the phone off to my boyfriend but he got pissy about it after the 5th time and I'm like, "What the fuck man, you got nerve, you're the one that convinced me to get the prepaid phone crap in the first place"

30 minute phone calls, get the fuck outta here with that shit. >:D

Lulz.  My mom does that .  She just hangs on enough to tell me shit right at the wrong time and I'm like ma I'm at work but really.  Ma I'm elbow deep innpoipy but I'll call you back or I'm passing meds or something ill call you later or tell me later and she hears non of that honey.  Love that but really is annoying when im suppose to be doing something.

Guest The Hound

I shoot shit on the phone with people a lot, some present company included too. It's fun, but like... people totally gotta both be in the mindset for it. You CANNOT just call someone out of the blue and expect to drop 10-30 minutes or more on the phone with them.

Send a fucking text first and see whats up before you do it.

FFS.

I can totally relate to this subject.

Lulz.  My mom does that .  She just hangs on enough to tell me shit right at the wrong time and I'm like ma I'm at work but really.  Ma I'm elbow deep innpoipy but I'll call you back or I'm passing meds or something ill call you later or tell me later and she hears non of that honey.  Love that but really is annoying when im suppose to be doing something.

Black moms don't play....You owe them....FOREVER!.....If they wana talk, you are gonna be on the phone or you're going to hear about how hard it was raising you.

TL;DR Buddy's 14th thread about his phone hatred.

First of all, I don't like being used as white noise......My lady friend calls me just to sit on the phone and sleep.  If that's not annoying enough. I'll wake her up to tell her bye because I feel like it's a dick move to just hang up (even though I could just lie and say that i said "Love you, gnite" and she'd be none the wiser), and then she fabricate some weak ass jumping off point just so I'll respond and stay on the phone and she goes right back to sleep.  Just go to bed and let me go find some insomniac shit to do.

My mother is also hard to get off the phone with, but she's the opposite.....Like she just never runs out of things to say.  For a woman who rarely goes anywhere she has the most stories.  I usually just put her on speaker and walk off because she doesn't even pause to breathe, much less leave a gap for the other person to respond.  If you happen to find that narrow window to say "Oh look, I gotta go" she'll completely ignore you....Just keeps talking or says "wait a minute"........I can be at work, driving, being beaten my midgets and she just insists on telling me about some random person who I don't even know.

I fucking hate phones.

people are lonely :(

it's sad, but true.

but it is VERY annoying when you can't get off the phone with people... especially when it's your mother. it's not like you want to hurt her feelings, but it's like.... okay.. yup mhmm....

you begin to wonder, "are they talking TO me? or AT me?"

and sadly, it's usually the latter  :(

you should try hanging up once or twice, see if they notice!