UnevenEdge

6/3 Schedule Jack rerunning at 11

It's staying on course. They are just rerunning the same episode at 8 for 2 weeks.

To clarify, how this will work is next week's episode will have its usual "sneak" premiere on [as] at 8, air again during Toonami at 11:30, then get an encore on 5/27 at 8 PM, while 6/3 will "sneak" premiere a new episode at 8 PM, back to "normal".

http://adultswim.x10.mx

Can't say I'm not disappointed in this. I don't think a show like this is going to hit as big the second time around.

They did fix the Super problem however. Toonami won't be a week behind the 8pm

Try the FIFTH time around! That episode will have premiered at 11 PM on 3/11, replayed twice on 3/15 at 10 PM and 2:30 AM, and then also aired just the previous week in the exact same timeslot as part of the marathon on 5/27.

You think things were bad in November 2014 through January 2015? Try Toonami being kicked off by a FULL HOUR of reruns! Hell, it would make more sense for Gundam IBO Season 2 to premiere at 11 PM instead; that's how absurdly STUPID this move is! If they gotta give Jack a rerun, it should be after 3:30 AM after GITS.

It's very much based on fearmongering.

Personally, if this is indeed true, I think it has to do with S5 of Jack doing well, but not affecting the rest of the Toonami lineup, but it's doing good already. It wouldn't be planned if it was like AoT where the show was bringing tons of viewers into the block for new episodes.

OK now that I have time to reflect on this:

- I don't think this was the best thing they could've done. The ratings will not be as high as the first time around. However, I was talking to Sketch earlier to day on Twitter and he sort of theorized that they may be holding the timeslot for FLCL. We may get more info on this at Momocon. I'd imagine that they will do another full run of Jack (which would take us until mid-August) before that. They do not want to shift the block around but want 11:00 pm to remain part of Toonami. Super hasn't proven itself to be 11:00 material perhaps either. To be completely honest, I don't think FLCL is 11:00 PM material either because it's kinda out there and doesn't have that mainstream appeal. But it's their show that they produced, so I can see the logic.

-Another point we touched upon was that the audience for Jack and DB are not as compatible with that of Family Guy. It's entirely possible that this will not affect Super in the slightest because as we've seen, high ratings for Jack do not equal high ratings for Super. Before Jack, Super (and Kai before it) would be affected by how much or little Family Guy did. We may now even see Super gain on Jack. Either way, I don't think it'll affect the rest of the night. If it directly affected the rest of Toonami, we'd be benefiting right now after the huge ratings every week for Jack.

-If for some reason it does drag everything down to an unacceptable level, they'll make a change. Unlike Super, they have some level of control here.

Yeah, FLCL S2 at 11 is really the only way any of this makes any sense at all! Otherwise, if you ask me, they oughta just bump DBZ Kai to 11 and leave it there. Sure, it's not even a dub premiere anymore, but it almost always does well when Super tanks, usually outgaining it!

AOT has not shown itself to be worthy of 11 and it will probably just air all its episodes at 12:30, then be replaced by JoJo Stardust Crusaders.

It's very much based on fearmongering.

Personally, if this is indeed true, I think it has to do with S5 of Jack doing well, but not affecting the rest of the Toonami lineup, but it's doing good already. It wouldn't be planned if it was like AoT where the show was bringing tons of viewers into the block for new episodes.

This sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to how tremendous Jack did compared to the rest of the block when the ratings just plateau-dipped for the rest of the night, so they think they can retain those ratings with .... episodes everyone already saw. Doesn't quite make sense to me.  Besides, aren't these the same people who always put reruns at the back of the block?

Anyone who sees any and all opportunity to proclaim Toonami dead should just break that habit right now.

I'm just going off of what happened after programming made the genius decision to rerun AOT at 11:30.

Not dead most likely, but the block could be cut down to just 12:00 to 3:00 if and when their programming decisions fail.

If the block got cut back to 3-3.5 hours, it would be fine if we were left with quality shows. 3 long runners/3 shorter shows/ 1 rerun was a good formula back in 2015.

I really don't know what they expect here. It does seem like AS went, "Hey this show did great at 11!! It beat Family Guy most weeks. Why change it ?" While that may work for the weeknight comedy block, the opposite is true for reruns of a seriazlized action program. The best we can really hopefull is on par with how the encores did. Maybe they just don't think it matters because Super isn't getting over a million most weeks at 11:30 so what's the harm? I really think though that FG viewers and DB viewers were more of a compatible audience.

But its like anyone with an idea you don't like, you have to just let them try it and if it fails, then they'll change it. I remember attempts in the mid 2000s to put Home Movies back in the 11:00 hour and giving Futurama or FG a rest. They tried it a few times and it would last literally a week or 2 before they had to change it back. Remember ATHF at 8:30 on Saturday last year? 3 weeks and King of the Hill was back. If this doesn't work, it won't go on long.

Yeah this just screams bad idea from the very start, mostly because the effects of the Attack On Titan 11:30pm immediate rerun still haunt Toonami and may of us to this very day.

However if this is really partly happening because they just need ten weeks to prepare the possible new FLCL season or something of the like, then it makes a little more sense in the grand scheme of things.

The best we can hope for is that this same slot rerun turns out way better than the last one Toonami had

Or that it's a mere placeholder because they haven't fully figured out the June 3 schedule yet. I really hope DBZ KFC moves up an hour, DB Super stays put, and everything else but GITS moves up 30 minutes, with Jack rerunning at 2:30 AM. That would seem to be the most logical slot for its rerun to me, since previously prior to the marathon, its last run will have been 2:30 AM on Wednesday nights. It's almost like they learned absolutely NOTHING from the AOT rerun debacle if they stick with this!

Well, they already announced Lupin, which is coming two weeks later. If they had something to replace Jack, or really any update on the 11:00 slot at all, it would have been said prior to this, or maybe on tonight's episode of Pre-Flight. Because doing otherwise is just shitty scheduling all around.

I'd rather have no show up there than a Jack rerun, but that's purely a personal opinion and it would be wrong to go after Jason about it. :420:

What you're missing here is that Lupin has indeed been announced for 1:30, but currently that timeslot's tenant is the long-runner Hunter x Hunter. That's a problem. No matter what, at least one show would have to air in one timeslot one week then a different timeslot the following week. Could simply drop HxH to 2 AM but that's a crappy thing to do to HxH. And hopefully from the Wednesday ratings data as well as the marathon they'd be doubly wary about trying a rerun of Samurai Jack at 11 PM.

A better solution would be to shift the schedule once immediately after the marathon and keep it there for a while. And if DBZ Kai has aired at 8 PM, then why not 11 PM? It also almost always gains on Super and it HAS been shown (in the pre-FC days) to gain on Family Guy as well. Super, since apparently it's written in blood in its contract that it MUST air at 11:30 except on holiday weekends would stay put, and everything from AOT through Shippuden would move up 30 minutes with Jack's 5th run taking Shippuden's place at 2:30. This would land the lame-duck Gundam Unicorn at 1:30 for its final 2 episodes, where it would simply be replaced by Lupin on the 17th!

I don't think it's contractual that DBS airs exactly at 11:30 but rather it has to air before midnight.

I think they should lead with Super for two reasons. It's more comedic and thus pairs better with Family Guy and the other reason is because we don't want DBZ to drop a lot from Family Guy and then Super drop a lot from that right? We know DBS into DBZ doesn't tend to mean DBZ drops a lot from DBS but swapping them may yield worse retention.

So June 3rd

11:00 PM - Dragon Ball Super

11:30 PM - Dragon Ball Z Kai

12:00 AM - Attack on Titan

12:30 AM - Tokyo Ghoul

1:00 AM - Hunter x Hunter

1:30 AM - Gundam Unicorn

2:00 AM - Naruto Shippuden

2:30 AM - Samurai Jack Season 5

3:00 AM - Ghost in the Shell

Then on June 17th, Lupin just swaps into Unicorn's 1:30AM slot and Hunter gets back to 1AM.

Are you fucking serious?!  Did they learn nothing from rerunning Attack on Titan at the start of the block?!

Besides the fact that the potential ratings collapse could lead the block getting even more downsized, it's a fucking waste!  You add an extra slot and then as soon as Jack ends you just fucking rerun it instead of putting something new there? 

IT'S FUCKING BULLSHIT!

after that ending...Season 5 was just a complete waste so why rerun it?....are they just admitting they got nothing else to show

Really?  We're gonna be like this now?

I mean come on.  Just because the last 5 minutes of the series weren't really great doesn't mean the rest of the series isn't awesome.  All in all, the Samurai Jack revival was a big success, and it deserves to be rerun on Memorial Day, if anything will be.  What else would you want them to do?  A marathon of Tokyo Ghoul?

No, no... They'll be saving that for Halloween weekend

[deploys tin foil cap]