UnevenEdge

Horror movies that actually scare you

jackiemarie90

A Nightmare on Elm Street, the Englund Krueger design terrified me until I was 15 or 16 so I really couldn't watch any of them, even 6. Even now I get a bit startled if I see it without warning in a youtube video or something.

Warning, Freddy scene:

One scene in like 3rd or 4th movie was when they dream they are in a pizza parlor, and freddy shows up with a pizza with sausages being the souls of all her friends that dies, and what makes me cringe the most is he picks one up and bites into it. xD

That's the 4th or 5th. I mean, I can watch them now, but I can't exaggerate how terrified I was. My siblings would exploit this to mess with me too, occasionally when I was being douchey, usually just for shits and giggles. I distinctly remember them putting him as my desktop background circa 2005 when I didn't know how to change it for instance.

• 1 month later...

The last time I was actually freaked out by a movie was 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. My older brother and I both had nightmares about zombies attacking us. It's odd that zombies became my favorite thing growing up lol. 

Now I would say that ghost films tend to creep me out like the Grudge, the japanese just know how to make weird stuff even weirder. What makes it darker is that Japanese ghosts don't go by the same ghost rules that we think ghosts would go by in the west. The whole ghosts just want to be a peace and only will only attack so you leave. Nope, the japanese ghosts don't fuck around. If you even see a hint of one you are fucked. It will do whatever it can to kill you, or mess with you until you are dead. And when you die you either become a ghost or go to some purgatory like hell.

I used to really like slasher films as a kid, but never got scared of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno. I recently watched The Blair Witch. Movie was dumb as hell but the way it was shot made me feel very claustrophobic if that counts.

Sounds like vertigo/motion sickness. Happens fairly often with shaky cam movies. I think it's why most found footage films post cloverfield have been more professional. In that they use more steady camera rather than the product of Michael J Fox being the camera man. The reason why they stopped shaking the camera like a nanny possessed after cloverfield, was that it made thousands of people sick in theaters. AMC theaters had to put warning for people who were prone to motion sickness.

I'm much more into certain suspense/thrillers that satisfy the development of action, but intentionally leave something out that makes the experience feel very unnerving, such as:

Cache

Kill List

Picnic at Hanging Rock

The Shining ends up getting to me for a similar reason--how the fragments of the hotel's history affects the primary narrative, which bestows its own sordid history of abuse and alcoholism on the scene.

Other horror films (not all of which are actually horror) that I love for investing in atmosphere and tension building:

The Invitation

They Look Like People

Don't Look Now

The Vanishing

The Others

The Orphanage

Safe

Wait Until Dark

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What type of scare are we talking about here? Because there are really two major types of fear, the instantaneous (shocking) variety, and the arguably more intense existential (dread) variety.

If you are talking about instantaneous then I'd have to say it would be probably Sinister 2 or REC.

If you are talking about existential then most definitely Martyrs. I've never felt more "on edge" in a terrified sort of way than when watching that film, and I have watched alot of horror movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Warning, Freddy scene:

One scene in like 3rd or 4th movie was when they dream they are in a pizza parlor, and freddy shows up with a pizza with sausages being the souls of all her friends that dies, and what makes me cringe the most is he picks one up and bites into it. xD

I personally found that scene hilarious. And btw, they were meatballs. lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

jon carpenters remake of "the thing" and this low budget sci fi movie called "cube".

7fa201448a80f9205593c3d110776fde.jpg

Did you ever watch the sequel to Cube? I haven't watched it, so I can't really say if it is decent or not, but I think you can find it on Netflix. Whenever I was younger, the movie White Noise used to freak me out. Ghosts using electronic devices to communicate with the living? No thx.