UnevenEdge

BREAKING NEWS: JULY SCHEDULE DROPS, MORE EXPANSION INCOMING!!

Well, if you thought [as] no longer has the rights to Demon Slayer: Mugen Train, you thought WRONG!!

And it just occurred to me what they're doing with all these oddly-timed marathons: they're counter-programming against The Olympics! THAT'S why we're not getting R&M: The Anime until August 15th, despite the fact that it's the buttcrack of dawn on a Sunday morning in France when Toonami airs!

20240719_111405.jpg

The question is why is Toonami Rewind, which actually airs counter to the Olympics, unaffected by this change? Sailor Moon airs directly opposite the end of USA Women's Olympic Soccer on the 26th of July...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

And it just occurred to me what they're doing with all these oddly-timed marathons: they're counter-programming against The Olympics! THAT'S why we're not getting R&M: The Anime until August 15th, despite the fact that it's the buttcrack of dawn on a Sunday morning in France when Toonami airs!

That sounds questionable to me. The modern Toonami hasn't out the Olympics in full before, although there was the Harley Quinn marathon the last summer around in 2021. The block even managed strong ratings going up against Rio in 2016. And at this point, the ratings are low enough that I think the block a can weather any perceived hits.

If anything, they should wait a week to air the Rickanime subbed premiere because it'll conflict with the secret set at the Phish festival. I know what I'll be watching that night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

The question is why is Toonami Rewind, which actually airs counter to the Olympics, unaffected by this change? Sailor Moon airs directly opposite the end of USA Women's Olympic Soccer on the 26th of July..

Well that’s quite simple, this entire scenario only exists in your head. And even if it didn’t, Rewind is dying and can’t afford taking any time off and giving what few people watch it an excuse to not tune in. 

Back to the schedule, why Mugen Train? They already did that for New Years. Are they really that financially upside down in it? 

Anyway, can the 10th schedule please burn off the rest of Shippuden? They are really blue balling us here in the final stretch. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Well that’s quite simple, this entire scenario only exists in your head. And even if it didn’t, Rewind is dying and can’t afford taking any time off and giving what few people watch it an excuse to not tune in. 

Back to the schedule, why Mugen Train? They already did that for New Years. Are they really that financially upside down in it? 

Anyway, can the 10th schedule please burn off the rest of Shippuden? They are really blue balling us here in the final stretch. 

What the hell makes you think Rewind is dying? If anything it's getting stronger. And you're right. This situation exists only in my head except for one thing: I've seen this happen before. Not with Toonami, but with another popular show: BattleBots. Granted, that was on network TV (ABC with Olympics on NBC), but it DID HAPPEN!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

What the hell makes you think Rewind is dying? If anything it's getting stronger. And you're right. This situation exists only in my head except for one thing: I've seen this happen before. Not with Toonami, but with another popular show: BattleBots. Granted, that was on network TV (ABC with Olympics on NBC), but it DID HAPPEN!

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Because he's /co/ scum, probably.

Block skips an entire arc of a show to get to its more popular arc faster, BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING GUYS EVERYTHING IS FINE STOP WORRYING.

Should I warm up you guys clown nose and wig, or do you already have it on? 

As for Battlebots, I’m pretty sure ABC was airing Olympic coverage at that time. I don’t think pulling it did it any favors since it was cancelled after only 2 seasons and relegated to the much less competitive Discovery network. Which it does seem to thrive on. 

Since we are on the topic, shouldn’t this years season of Battlebots be announced by now? I want to watch Riptide make manbun sissy seethe some more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man… that was not a schedule update worth anticipating. When I saw that I felt tremendous rage. Not only because it’s a needless marathon of an arc that already had a marathon but because they have the gall to keep August 10th a secret too.

I’m going to give them a heaping helping of benefit of the doubt that they are trying to start Swordsmith Village on August 10th before Rickanime claims midnight but at this point I expect more stalling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • D'oh 1

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

How many times must I watch an attractive man with fire powers be fisted through the chest on this block?

Not as many as if they actually played the Marineford arc of One Piece. What a shame.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, MHA returning to the rerun slot is a strong signal the next season is en route. The question is, what episode are they starting on? If it’s episode one, that’s not good. If it’s the last 10 episodes of the season, we know what our new lead show for the fall is. 

• Like 1

Nevermind, signal cancelled. MHA will be starting right at episode 1. So they definitely do not have S7 anywhere near being secured.

I guess at some point, they could speed this up, or just outright drop it, but we probably have a 7-8 month wait for S7, if at all. 

That’s eliminated from the Naruto replacement running, so that should spice up people’s predictions. 

• Like 1

My Hero Academia getting a rerun cycle is a surprise. Starting at Episode 1? Doubly so.

On the one hand, Naruto's skipped episodes were only one portion of a season, whereas skipping episodes of MHA basically means whole seasons are glossed over.

On the other hand, they could just tell us to stream the rest of the show and simply air the first and most recent seasons only.

Who can say?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

You know he means episode 1 of season 6, right?

Wait, really?

(one closer look later)

Okay, so I was misled by false information. That's okay. Figures that a rabbit-themed hero would make everyone jump to conclusions this fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianycpht said:

They weren’t helpful even when owned by Warner 

Sony just made them worse xD

MHA S6 reruns, what a tease. They can double up or marathon on November 2nd (barf I know) if they’re aiming for S7 to start before 2025. Honestly wish they’d rerun Lycoris or ZOM 100 instead but as per usual 3am is nothing I concern myself with. Ninja Kamui feels out of place in a sea of bright colorful shounen and should really move to 3am but it’s nearly done anyway so whatever.

Still no IGPX season 2 :(

I’ll admit though that MHA reruns taking 3am is a curveball I didn’t anticipate.

And this means they’re actually going to restrain themselves from airing dubbed RickAniMorty late on Saturday, probably because it’s rerunning on Sunday at midnight. Hey here’s an idea for programming… premiere the dub on Sunday after the dub airs on Toonami and don’t bother with Thursday premieres! Genius right?

It remains to be seen how they handle replacing Shippuden but maybe it won’t just be something they currently have on hand afterall. They seem oddly determined to hold onto 3am when they could have just given it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Sony just made them worse xD

MHA S6 reruns, what a tease. They can double up or marathon on November 2nd (barf I know) if they’re aiming for S7 to start before 2025. Honestly wish they’d rerun Lycoris or ZOM 100 instead but as per usual 3am is nothing I concern myself with. Ninja Kamui feels out of place in a sea of bright colorful shounen and should really move to 3am but it’s nearly done anyway so whatever.

Still no IGPX season 2 :(

I’ll admit though that MHA reruns taking 3am is a curveball I didn’t anticipate.

And this means they’re actually going to restrain themselves from airing dubbed RickAniMorty late on Saturday, probably because it’s rerunning on Sunday at midnight. Hey here’s an idea for programming… premiere the dub on Sunday after the dub airs on Toonami and don’t bother with Thursday premieres! Genius right?

It remains to be seen how they handle replacing Shippuden but maybe it won’t just be something they currently have on hand afterall. They seem oddly determined to hold onto 3am when they could have just given it up.

When Ninja Kamui ends, they could put MHA in that slot too. That would let them finish the season in half the time. If they really get into a time crunch they could boot Kai too and do 3x MHA. But with this development, I don’t expect it this year at all. 

I think there is a strategy to Rick and Uzumaki not getting 3am reruns. Instead of that being its premier on the block, at a dead hour when most of the audience is gone, they can premier those on the obligatory series marathon nights. 5 hours of Rick subs would probably be the worst ratings of all time, but 5 hours of Rick dubbed might not be as much of a disaster. October 26th? Uzumaki Toonami dub premier 12-2. Marathon nights are a wash but this at least gives them something to market, and no doubt a better turnout than 3am. 

Whatever replaces Shippuden should give us a better idea of where their finances are right now. Whatever it is will be a 1:30 show, so not anything off the top shelf. I say if we avoid a rerun and Boruto, it can’t be that bad. 

• Like 1

Here's some projections for if they're aiming to start MHA season 7 in November. It will take a marathon but it works out pretty well all things considered. There's also a no MHA S7 option. I threw in Urusei Yatsura to replace Shippuden in that one but it makes for a lot of shifting in short succession because of Uzumaki. In the scenario where they get MHA, I think they won't have money for two additional acquisitions so I'm defaulting to Mashle for the Aniplex packaged deal theory and saving it for November leaving double One Piece to cover Shippuden's slot until Uzumaki starts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fUKIXX1WniiivIIxEhUcY1YoSF8Z_QN7rLfcKTZqqzI/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Here's some projections for if they're aiming to start MHA season 7 in November. It will take a marathon but it works out pretty well all things considered. There's also a no MHA S7 option. I threw in Urusei Yatsura to replace Shippuden in that one but it makes for a lot of shifting in short succession because of Uzumaki. In the scenario where they get MHA, I think they won't have money for two additional acquisitions so I'm defaulting to Mashle for the Aniplex packaged deal theory and saving it for November leaving double One Piece to cover Shippuden's slot until Uzumaki starts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fUKIXX1WniiivIIxEhUcY1YoSF8Z_QN7rLfcKTZqqzI/edit?usp=sharing

I feel highly conflicted on these two outcomes.

Option A: MHA Season 7 in November, double OP for most of September, Mashle being the tertiary pickup in Fall, Naruto Classic reruns by year's end.

Option B: No MHA Season 7, Urusei Yatsura on Toonami in September, Rickanime dub marathon in November, Mashle at 12:30.

It took some debating, but I can deal with not getting My Hero Academia back until 2025 if it means my pipe dream pick gets a Toonami broadcast.

Am I petty? Perhaps.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

I feel highly conflicted on these two outcomes.

Option A: MHA Season 7 in November, double OP for most of September, Mashle being the tertiary pickup in Fall, Naruto Classic reruns by year's end.

Option B: No MHA Season 7, Urusei Yatsura on Toonami in September, Rickanime dub marathon in November, Mashle at 12:30.

It took some debating, but I can deal with not getting My Hero Academia back until 2025 if it means my pipe dream pick gets a Toonami broadcast.

Am I petty? Perhaps.

We can certainly hope they have enough left in the budget to run MHA S7 and get two additional acquisitions by years end. Maybe we had all those droughts mid-year because they're attempting that? I just try to stay realistic with these things.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sketch said:

We can certainly hope they have enough left in the budget to run MHA S7 and get two additional acquisitions by years end. Maybe we had all those droughts mid-year because they're attempting that? I just try to stay realistic with these things.

Well, let the record show that I see some pros and cons in both forecasts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

Well, let the record show that I see some pros and cons in both forecasts.

I do as well. I didn't bother with a pie in the sky alternative build this time but maybe I'll add one later.

• Like 1