UnevenEdge

BREAKING NEWS: JULY SCHEDULE DROPS, MORE EXPANSION INCOMING!!

Note: Zom 100 has only 3 episodes left and concludes July 6th, so this also confirms we are NOT getting another delay!

First, we're doubling up on One Piece and Demon Slayer (or at least "1.5"-ing up on the latter) for a couple of weeks:

FB_IMG_1718986579803.jpg

FB_IMG_1718986588719.jpg

Then, the Man Of Steel pulls an all-nighter with a Marathon on July 27th:

FB_IMG_1718986600276.jpg

Thoughts? It's certainly interesting that they're blasting through Demon Slayer: Entertainment District. Almost like we can expect Swordsmith Arc to begin August 3rd. But what would join it? MHA S7? Or maybe it's finally time for Uzumaki? But I would think October for that. Rick & Morty Anime is another wild card...

ALSO, you may have noticed that we're curiously missing an episode of Demon Slayer, so I'm guessing even though they haven't confirmed it, Toonami expands to 4 AM July 6th as well to pack Episode 8 in.

• Like 1

• OwlChemist81 changed the title to BREAKING NEWS: JULY SCHEDULE DROPS, MORE EXPANSION INCOMING!!
2 minutes ago, Jman said:

The dub for Swordsmith hasn’t hit Crunchyroll just yet.  It’s possible they’re waiting for the Toonami premiere like S1 had to.

That can't be right. I thought it came out in 2023?

If you're thinking about Hashira Training, oddly enough you may be right!

That would be a HUGE coup for Toonami if so!

2 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

That can't be right. I thought it came out in 2023?

If you're thinking about Hashira Training, oddly enough you may be right!

That would be a HUGE coup for Toonami if so!

Fixed the mistake.  The other option is it gets a Netflix premiere, and considering how well the show has done there up to this point, that being the premiere location would generate Brigerton numbers.

• Confused 1

Idk why you are trying to put a positive spin on this shitshow, the entire month of July looks abysmal. Worst premier lineup we have ever had in the blocks history. We hear from Demarco “Toonami is doing great!” then get schedule drops like this that make that REALLY hard to believe. Observations regardless 

1. Demon Slayer is being accelerated for no clear reason. Which either means the next season is coming August 3rd, they intend to quietly cut that slot on August 3rd, or both. 

2. An article from a few weeks ago stated Rick and Morty was coming in the summer. If that’s true, that’s probably our midnight show for August 3rd. Thankfully, since it’s an AS original, they will start promoting about a month ahead of time, so we won’t be left guessing. 

3. MHA is MIA. I believe this season is only 21 episodes, so come August 4th, it would be nearly 2/3 through the dub, much later than CR has ever made us wait. Has CR closed the door completely on their shows? Or are they just extending the wait time even further? 

4. Shippuden is frustratingly being delayed in its final moments. If my count is right, the second to last episode would have aired on the 27th. Why not double that up instead of OP? Doing the loyal Naruto watchers real dirty here.

5. Kai remains on the schedule despite being on double speed on Rewind. 

Not a good look for the second stretch of the year. It seems like Toonami will always have one 3-4 month stretch of good, then the rest of the year shit going forward. Last few years it took till the end of the year for the good to happen. This year we started off strong in January, and have just been in a gradual slide down the shitter since April. 

2 hours ago, Jman said:

The dub for Hashira hasn’t hit Crunchyroll just yet.  It’s possible they’re waiting for the Toonami premiere like S1 had to.

Toonami couldn’t even afford Mugen Train a few years ago. There is no way in 2024 they were able to negotiate a contract for the most popular modern anime that allowed them hold the dub hostage. 

• D'oh 2

11 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Idk why you are trying to put a positive spin on this shitshow, the entire month of July looks abysmal. Worst premier lineup we have ever had in the blocks history. We hear from Demarco “Toonami is doing great!” then get schedule drops like this that make that REALLY hard to believe. Observations regardless 

1. Demon Slayer is being accelerated for no clear reason. Which either means the next season is coming August 3rd, they intend to quietly cut that slot on August 3rd, or both. 

2. An article from a few weeks ago stated Rick and Morty was coming in the summer. If that’s true, that’s probably our midnight show for August 3rd. Thankfully, since it’s an AS original, they will start promoting about a month ahead of time, so we won’t be left guessing. 

3. MHA is MIA. I believe this season is only 21 episodes, so come August 4th, it would be nearly 2/3 through the dub, much later than CR has ever made us wait. Has CR closed the door completely on their shows? Or are they just extending the wait time even further? 

4. Shippuden is frustratingly being delayed in its final moments. If my count is right, the second to last episode would have aired on the 27th. Why not double that up instead of OP? Doing the loyal Naruto watchers real dirty here.

Not a good look for the second stretch of the year. It seems like Toonami will always have one 3-4 month stretch of good, then the rest of the year shit going forward. Last few years it took till the end of the year for the good to happen. This year we started off strong in January, and have just been in a gradual slide down the shitter since April. 

Toonami couldn’t even afford Mugen Train a few years ago. There is no way in 2024 they were able to negotiate a contract for the most popular modern anime that allowed them hold the dub hostage. 

Holy monkey, what a negative take! You get balls for that!!

Expansion is Expansion. And sure it'll be mostly Superman, but the weekend of July 26-28, SEVEN hours of [as] programming will be Toonami-branded, when the average weekend 6 months prior only had 3.

How the hell is that not a positive?

44 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Holy monkey, what a negative take! You get balls for that!!

Expansion is Expansion. And sure it'll be mostly Superman, but the weekend of July 26-28, SEVEN hours of [as] programming will be Toonami-branded, when the average weekend 6 months prior only had 3.

How the hell is that not a positive?

Balls for calling shit, shit? Give yourself some credit, you are the one with the bowling ball sized nutsack trying to convince people this is good. 

No sane person cares about expansion just for the sake of expansion, especially in cases like this where it’s clearly temporary to accommodate something. Wowee 7 hours of Toonami? And only 6.5 hours of it is trash! You are celebrating a 5 hour marathon that the majority of the viewer base is going to use as an excuse to take the night off. 

It’s a matter of quality of quantity. You see MORE Toonami and that’s all you care about. Which is weird, because as far as I can remember, you don’t even stay up that late. I see a list of lineups with NOTHING new, and that’s a problem. Know when our last acquired show was? March 30th when we started Zom. 4 full months with no new content. Even accounting for AS properties, the only addition since then was Superman. 

If the block was expanding for NEW shows, I’d be up there on the rooftop celebrating with you. 

• Haha 1
  • D'oh 1

My DVR forgot to record Episode 12 of Supes, so my inexplicable excitement about the marathon might have something to do with that. 🤷‍♂️

With the exception of July 27th, nothing really changes from June to July. We have 4 premieres now, and we'll have 4 premieres then. Granted, the fact that we're getting a marathon on a non-holiday is a bit weird, but if it means a major shakeup in August, I really don't have a problem with it.

If they just HAVE to stall a bit more in August, maybe letting Naruto Shippuden lead off the block with a mini-marathon of Episodes #497-#500 would be interesting, then DBZ Kai and double Kamui after that?

Hell, if they decide to pull the killswitch on Rewind, could even see Sailor Moon wind up at 3, then OG Naruto replace Shippuden the following week.

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

My DVR forgot to record Episode 12 of Supes, so my inexplicable excitement about the marathon might have something to do with that. 🤷‍♂️

With the exception of July 27th, nothing really changes from June to July. We have 4 premieres now, and we'll have 4 premieres then. Granted, the fact that we're getting a marathon on a non-holiday is a bit weird, but if it means a major shakeup in August, I really don't have a problem with it.

If they just HAVE to stall a bit more in August, maybe letting Naruto Shippuden lead off the block with a mini-marathon of Episodes #497-#500 would be interesting, then DBZ Kai and double Kamui after that?

Hell, if they decide to pull the killswitch on Rewind, could even see Sailor Moon wind up at 3, then OG Naruto replace Shippuden the following week.

4 premiers, but 3 are long runners most people only watch as a bonus to the shorter shows. Which now there are none of. 

They COULD blow the doors off on August 3rd, but when has that ever happened? They stall, we speculate too big, and then they disappoint. If I’m right about R&M, we won’t get anything else because all spotlights will be on that. They have basically been in stall mode since April, it just wasn’t as obvious back then. 

If Shippuden ends and is replaced by OG Naruto or Boruto, I’m done. That is my breaking point. 

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

They COULD blow the doors off on August 3rd, but when has that ever happened? 

November 11th, 2023 and January 13th, 2024, in recent memory.

R&M anime most likely expands Toonami to 11:30. The original show airs then now!

3 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I'd say show quality wise this is MARGINALLY better than September of 2023 (due to no FLCL Grunge) but it is less block premieres than even that because they're in no hurry to finish Shippuden sooner and won't double it up

1. Yeah it's either Swordsmith time in August or they're just looking to drop 3am after the Superman marathon or... they're pushing it out so they can slap Sailor Moon and/or Naruto on the back sooner than later

2. I would be very surprised if Rick & Morty the Anime isn't starting in August but I really hope we get either Demon Slayer or MHA block premieres that month as well

3. It's really starting to look like CR has completely blocked MHA and Toonami wasn't expecting that to happen, either that or they are pushing buffer out even further because what's Toonami gonna do refuse to air it if they don't get to do so in a timely fashion? HAH

4. Shippuden would have ended on August 20th now it will end on August 27th because of the Superman marathon and we'll probably be spared a Labor Day weekend marathon. It would be a nice send-off if they ran the last 3-4 episodes in a single night in August.

5. That COULD change the first weekend of August when Toonami Rewind pulls ahead of Toonami's broadcast of DBZ Kai

I expect some notable shakeups in August on both blocks. A 4th show will join Toonami Rewind while Rickanime and either Demon Slayer or MHA premiere on Saturdays and some changes to the back end could include reruns of Sailor Moon and OG Naruto or maybe a second run of Zom 100 while it's still under contract. Given it's gone from the AS website it seems they can't rerun Lycoris Recoil and that's a bit of a shame.

May was a snore, July is a snore, all that promise early in the year sure didn't last and we can only guess why but I'm guessing they once again got caught with their pants down because getting MHA didn't go as easily as they expected and they haven't looked into other shows due to lack of interest or lack of money. And they just had to blow a nice chunk of money on a nostalgia block, uncut Sailor Moon and a pair of glorified reruns rather than grab anything from Sentai for the Saturday block.

Did the door close with Aniplex for non-sequels right after Lycoris? Can they not get Mashle or do they just not know about that low-hanging Shonen Jump fruit?

IMO a few weeks of double One Piece instead of another premiere isn't a big deal but they keep doing that sort of thing because they have nothing else and it's not something the majority of their dwindling audience cares to sacrifice their Saturday nights for. Constant stall tactics just makes them look even less relevant. DeMarco keeps talking about how the network and the company are pleased with Toonami's performance but if they won't back that talk up with enough money to maintain a steady stream of premieres that aren't One Piece, Naruto or one of their occasional originals then that talk is awfully cheap. We'll never know what's really going on here but it's hard to believe there's absolutely nothing they can't afford to throw in to avoid these lulls in activity.

November 11th, 2023 and January 13th, 2024, in recent memory.

R&M anime most likely expands Toonami to 11:30. The original show airs then now!

Nov 11th, so when they got Demon Slayer? And how long did they have to stall for that singular show? Far too long. And Jan 13th, the next season of Demon Slayer? Same as above. We sacrificed who knows how many acquisitions in 2023 for them to get that, and it wasn’t worth it. 

Your optimism looks more like delusion. They can’t even get anything to fill in the current time, and you think they are gonna expand forward, leaving them even more time to fill? Remember, Shippuden is not far behind on ending. They have a lot of time to fill, and as it seems, zero prospects. 

18 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Did the door close with Aniplex for non-sequels right after Lycoris? Can they not get Mashle or do they just not know about that low-hanging Shonen Jump fruit?

It’s probably the same old tale, Demarco is still begging at the front doors of CR for something like JJK rather than settling for something from Sentai or Aniplex. Sometimes I feel like it’s the only reason they got OP back, so every time he blows it they can use that to cover for weeks/months. Here’s what the Aug 3 schedule is gonna look like

12 - empty

12:30 - empty

1 - One Piece

1:30 - Naruto (4? Episodes left)

2 - DBZ

2:30 - Ninja Kamui

3 - empty 

There are two paths, they either have a lot of work to do, or they park R&M up front, keep OP on double duty and cut 3. Then promise something new to replace Naruto. I know which one I’m putting my money on. 

• D'oh 1

They had better get something in August because if they don't then they're down to One Piece and reruns baring a true replacement for Shippuden. That's it.

Optimistically we get some premires in the 12AM hour in August and we could have this in September once Shippuden leaves

12:00 AM - Rickanime
12:30 AM - MHA
1:00 AM - Demon Slayer
1:30 AM - One Piece
2:00 AM - One Piece / Reruns
2:30 AM - Reruns

OR we could have this in September until who knows when

12:30 AM - One Piece
1:00 AM - Toonami Rewind Rewind

Possibly a combination of the two

12:30 AM - MHA or Demon Slayer
1:00 AM - One Piece
2:00 AM - Toonami Rewind Rewind

12 minutes ago, Sketch said:

They had better get something in August because if they don't then they're down to One Piece and reruns baring a true replacement for Shippuden. That's it.

Optimistically we get some premires in the 12AM hour in August and we could have this in September once Shippuden leaves

12:30 AM - MHA
1:00 AM - Demon Slayer
2:00 AM - One Piece / Reruns
2:30 AM - Reruns

OR we could have this in September until who knows when

12:30 AM - One Piece
1:00 AM - Toonami Rewind Rewind

Possibly a combination of the two

12:30 AM - MHA or Demon Slayer
1:00 AM - One Piece
2:00 AM - Toonami Rewind Rewind

Both of those still look like nightmare scenarios. Rick then 2 hours of Jump vomit followed by reruns, Rick + re-re-reruns we will never get rid of, or the same reruns but later. There is no reason at all for Rewind to exist if all that stuff is just gonna air on Saturday. It actually discourages Friday viewership. 

We can’t be in a scenario where DS and MHA are the only new content till next year. Demarco did say he had SOMETHING in mind to replace Shippuden, but that’s vague enough where it could be the best anime ever or a 22 minute livestream of his hairy anus. 

You're being too picky if Demon Slayer and MHA airing back to back premieres in August or September isn't good enough. Shounen is Toonami's bread and butter besides originals.

If we're denied MHA and/or Demon Slayer there's still hope for Dr. Stone if that airs in October in Japan but that's not starting till at least November. They could very well have been holding one or both back till August because they know they don't have budget for much else for the rest of the year.

Preferably they also have an actual premiere to replace Shippuden with. Maybe something from Sentai, Aniplex or even the Viz backlog that isn't Boruto. Hell, maybe they finally can show Bleach: TYBW because it's been long enough. That won't solve the shounen-overload problem though.

Now that DeMarco is actually aware of Urusei Yatsura's dub, maybe Toonami will finally air that but if they blew all their budget on MHA, Demon Slayer and are holding back for Dr. Stone then they might not be able to acquire anything else and the network's decision to build a nostalgia block over bolstering the main block looks that much more stupid.

Edited by Sketch
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Otakuninja9000 said:

At this rate I'm absolutely on the belief that they're secretly winding Toonami down the same way they've been doing with Cartoon Network for years.

They wouldn't be making an extra Toonami block if that were the case.

And I don't think they're winding down CN, they're just running it incompetently because they don't know what to do with the CN side of the network.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought we'd have to wait another week for next month's schedules. Judging by the general response, maybe pushing the July announcements a week in advance was a blessing in disguise.

As for the programming in question, I'm just as gobsmacked as the rest of you. Dressrosa Two Piece at 12:30 AM? Double (or even triple) Demon Slayer? An all-night Superman marathon? Not a pretty picture.

I hope August is an improvement over this, with 2-3 empty slots to fill, both Shippuden "premieres" and Kamui reruns winding down, and Toonami Rewind catching up to Saturday on DBZ Kai's episode count. In fact, I just hope Toonami Rewind doesn't become Saturday filler.

As for this month? If I regularly watched Toonami, I would've slept through most of this.

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Nov 11th, so when they got Demon Slayer? And how long did they have to stall for that singular show? Far too long. And Jan 13th, the next season of Demon Slayer? Same as above. We sacrificed who knows how many acquisitions in 2023 for them to get that, and it wasn’t worth it. 

Your optimism looks more like delusion. They can’t even get anything to fill in the current time, and you think they are gonna expand forward, leaving them even more time to fill? Remember, Shippuden is not far behind on ending. They have a lot of time to fill, and as it seems, zero prospects. 

It’s probably the same old tale, Demarco is still begging at the front doors of CR for something like JJK rather than settling for something from Sentai or Aniplex. Sometimes I feel like it’s the only reason they got OP back, so every time he blows it they can use that to cover for weeks/months. Here’s what the Aug 3 schedule is gonna look like

12 - empty

12:30 - empty

1 - One Piece

1:30 - Naruto (4? Episodes left)

2 - DBZ

2:30 - Ninja Kamui

3 - empty 

There are two paths, they either have a lot of work to do, or they park R&M up front, keep OP on double duty and cut 3. Then promise something new to replace Naruto. I know which one I’m putting my money on. 

Those slots aren't "empty," just unknown. Hopefully if speeding thru Demon Slayer is any indication, Swordsmith Arc is right around the corner, followed by 🤞 dub premieres of Hashira Training for Toonami (Next day on HuluMax) 🤘??

The last time they did this with a show that had more episodes remaining, it was Made In Abyss. You could argue it also happened with MHA S6 reruns, but there wasn't an S7 yet, so that doesn't count.

12 minutes ago, Otakuninja9000 said:

The answer for what to do with CN has pretty much been there for as long as you were a active member on the Toonzone/Anime Superhero Forums......

Make it a general audience network.

That's the ideal and MeTV Toons is about to prove its doable but I understand why its not that easy to pull off after years of CN having an identity crisis.

They are under the false impression that CN can't be an all ages brand anymore and they are surely being pressured by advertisers to separate the demographics for ad-space even while kids ad-space is becoming less and less valuable to advertisers. By now I would think that kids ad-space is so worthless that making the network all ages and running general all ages advertisements from 6am-7pm would probably work fine. That's the direction the network seems to be going in based on which ads air during the shows. But they could have some blocks that specifically target kids with toy ads and such like network television used to do.

The other factor is lack of content being made for the network outside of Adult Swim and they seem to be shifting CN Studios from a house of fresh ideas to a stagnate IP mine like Hanna Barbera under Warner's control. I hate to see it. Nothing with kids in mind is guaranteed for CN as long as Max is a thing. Despite the fact that Max can't seem to make kids content work for them either. So the kids side of the business is just a huge mess right now and doesn't look to be churning out much other than rehashes of prior series.

If they have to divorce CN from Adult Swim for the network to have any good time slots for premieres then I say they should replace Boomerang with a 24/7 version of CN which targets kids until late night, let Adult Swim absorb all of CN and run it similar to Latin America Adult Swim where they fill the earlier hours with Checkered Past programming, and Toonami. Then its a nostalgia network and a adult focused network 24/7 like advertisers would probably want anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

You're being too picky if Demon Slayer and MHA airing back to back premieres in August or September isn't good enough. Shounen is Toonami's bread and butter besides originals.

I mean, they are fine shows, but where’s the variety? The curveballs? Just two more sequel seasons for the rest of the year? Not very exciting. Plus we have this happen a lot, we get a lick of seinen then go right back to the diet of pure shonen. It may be the bread and butter but it’s not good for your diet to be only bread and butter. 

2 hours ago, Otakuninja9000 said:

At this rate I'm absolutely on the belief that they're secretly winding Toonami down the same way they've been doing with Cartoon Network for years.

CN is definitely in a slow transition period out the door, but Toonami is probably fine for awhile longer. They could easily kill Rewind and just port that crap to Saturday and run the block on that. Absolute shit schedule not worth watching, but still technically alive. 

Those slots aren't "empty," just unknown. Hopefully if speeding thru Demon Slayer is any indication, Swordsmith Arc is right around the corner, followed by 🤞 dub premieres of Hashira Training for Toonami (Next day on HuluMax) 🤘??

The last time they did this with a show that had more episodes remaining, it was Made In Abyss. You could argue it also happened with MHA S6 reruns, but there wasn't an S7 yet, so that doesn't count.

Empty, unknown, however you want to phrase it. We don’t know what’s airing there and Demarco has to publish an update on Facebook for the 4th to answer those questions. 

Where does your optimism for Demon Slayer come from? They made us wait multiple years after it released to air Mugen Train, and now you think a dub premier for the latest season is realistic? We would be lucky to get Hashira this year at all.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

They are under the false impression that CN can't be an all ages brand anymore and they are surely being pressured by advertisers to separate the demographics for ad-space even while kids ad-space is becoming less and less valuable to advertisers. By now I would think that kids ad-space is so worthless that making the network all ages and running general all ages advertisements from 6am-7pm would probably work fine. That's the direction the network seems to be going in based on which ads air during the shows. But they could have some blocks that specifically target kids with toy ads and such like network television used to do.

I feel like the only reason they don’t completely eliminate CN is it is still a brand with value, moreso internationally. 

Plus, it seems the Checkered Past experiment isn’t working out long term. Same stuff on constant loop, no freedom to bring anything else in, the audience is fading. That’s why Rewind exists, it’s an effort to salvage 5pm ratings where Checkered Past was starting to slide. 

• Thanks 1

Believe me I'd prefer variety but it would still be a major improvement to have two big shows join now even if they're both shounen.

Unfortunately most seinin aren't any Toonami's radar and there's not many that aren't licensed by CR or Netflix. Zom is a rare breed in that respect.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sketch said:

Unfortunately most seinin aren't any Toonami's radar and there's not many that aren't licensed by CR or Netflix. Zom is a rare breed in that respect.

Demarco needs to expand his radar. That’s why we get into situations like this every couple of months. They aren’t looking at a broad enough range of options.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 10:14 PM, Sketch said:

That's the ideal and MeTV Toons is about to prove its doable but I understand why its not that easy to pull off after years of CN having an identity crisis.

The other factor is lack of content being made for the network outside of Adult Swim and they seem to be shifting CN Studios from a house of fresh ideas to a stagnate IP mine like Hanna Barbera under Warner's control. I hate to see it. Nothing with kids in mind is guaranteed for CN as long as Max is a thing. Despite the fact that Max can't seem to make kids content work for them either. So the kids side of the business is just a huge mess right now and doesn't look to be churning out much other than rehashes of prior series.

If they have to divorce CN from Adult Swim for the network to have any good time slots for premieres then I say they should replace Boomerang with a 24/7 version of CN which targets kids until late night, let Adult Swim absorb all of CN and run it similar to Latin America Adult Swim where they fill the earlier hours with Checkered Past programming, and Toonami. Then its a nostalgia network and a adult focused network 24/7 like advertisers would probably want anyway.

That's actually a great idea, not to mention, the best way about it going forward.

On 6/22/2024 at 2:01 AM, Sketch said:

Believe me I'd prefer variety but it would still be a major improvement to have two big shows join now even if they're both shounen.

It's not really, but moreso the fact that the seinen anime thing has pretty much...died...

• Confused 1

https://sites.google.com/site/swimpediaiscoming/adult-swim-schedules/2024

Demon Slayer double-header on July 6th at 3 AM confirmed, so now Toonami officially has expanded to at least 3:45 AM for the entire month of July.

What I wish they would do with the season finale of Demon Slayer is premiere a super-long-form (like 2 minutes) promo of the Swordsmith Village Arc IF it is coming to Toonami on August 3rd, after the first ad break, followed by a long-form music video (think Iron Maiden's "Writing On The Wall" from 2021) before the 2nd ad break, then the rest of the show. But we all know they most likely won't, and thats still a BIG "IF" regarding SVA at this point.

If they merely have Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc for a 6-month deal and are buying it a la carte on 7/20 just to finish off the run, that's disappointing, but I'm not giving up hope something bigger is on the horizon.

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

https://sites.google.com/site/swimpediaiscoming/adult-swim-schedules/2024

Demon Slayer double-header on July 6th at 3 AM confirmed, so now Toonami officially has expanded to at least 3:45 AM for the entire month of July.

What I wish they would do with the season finale of Demon Slayer is premiere a super-long-form (like 2 minutes) promo of the Swordsmith Village Arc IF it is coming to Toonami on August 3rd, after the first ad break, followed by a long-form music video (think Iron Maiden's "Writing On The Wall" from 2021) before the 2nd ad break, then the rest of the show. But we all know they most likely won't, and thats still a BIG "IF" regarding SVA at this point.

If they merely have Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc for a 6-month deal and are buying it a la carte on 7/20 just to finish off the run, that's disappointing, but I'm not giving up hope something bigger is on the horizon.

If R&M on August 3 is correct, they may be burning off DS purely to have the end slot open for the R&M sub.

I hope they communicate their plans sooner rather than later. Give us some motivation to get us through this sucktastic month. 

• Confused 1

They could theoretically do other stuff to open up 3am for subbed airings of Rickanime besides burning through the rerun of Entertainment District so here’s hoping that that (and maybe an expiring contract) isn’t the only reason.

I’m leaning toward the reasoning that they couldn’t get MHA yet so they are airing Swordsmith Village and will try to circle back to MHA after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, korosu said:

The first of four

In a new interview with the Japan Times, Junji Ito confirms that the first four episodes of Toonami's Uzumaki are completed.

I don’t see the word “of” in there. Though if that’s the case, it means only 15 more years till the show drops! Get hype

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not a good sign for the block getting a schedule shuffle this early in its life. Tells us the numbers are already not where they need to be. 

BUT, double Kai was the #1 complaint for the block, so they are making the exact change people were asking for. And even moving Naruto up means people can watch 90 straight minutes then just bail, at least till Kai reaches non Saturday episodes. And on that topic, take a hint AS, Kai needs to be off Saturday in August. It’s failing on Rewind because you are trying to double dip on it. 

• Like 1

I guess this is because the Toonami Rewind airing of DBZ Kai is catching up to the Saturday Midnight Run airing?

Good for Sailor Moon, though. More of that is certainly a good thing. But why the 19th? Seems like odd timing. If they feel like DBZ Kai works better going into Bob's Burgers or whatever FOX show airs at 7, wouldn't August 5th once Superman ends have been better?

• Like 1

I’m guessing everyone’s favorite dumpling head/what if Wonder Woman was the world’s biggest girlfailure still seems to be attracting an audience.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess this is because the Toonami Rewind airing of DBZ Kai is catching up to the Saturday Midnight Run airing?

Good for Sailor Moon, though. More of that is certainly a good thing. But why the 19th? Seems like odd timing. If they feel like DBZ Kai works better going into Bob's Burgers or whatever FOX show airs at 7, wouldn't August 5th once Superman ends have been better?

Strangely it’s not. Kai on Rewind will still be 3-4 episodes behind Saturday with this change. Which furthers my assumption that this is a ratings based changed going into effect as soon as possible without having to resubmit online schedules. 

The 19th is the week before Saturday goes offline for Superman, then the week after could be anything, so maybe the change is tied to something happening on Saturday in August. 

• Like 1

On the one hand, getting Sailor Moon back-to-back would be a great change to the schedule, and one I would welcome.

On the other hand, I have a sad suspicion this means Toonami Rewind is getting turned into late-night filler. Please let this not be the case.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 6:49 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

In a new interview with the Japan Times, Junji Ito confirms that the first four episodes of Toonami's Uzumaki are completed.

I don’t see the word “of” in there. Though if that’s the case, it means only 15 more years till the show drops! Get hype

• Like 1
  • Confused 1