UnevenEdge

Quickly

37 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

then swordfish. 

nicely seared in a lemon butter garlic,

Never get swordfish - it's not sustainably caught and, because its an apex predator, it also tends to be loaded with mercury from all the prey fish it eats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_annoying_one said:

I’m gonna have to plead ignorance here.

It's actually ok...it was still good. But I think the pork chops are just the go to here in the future.

Still need to try a steak, but the options are top sirloin and an 8oz ribeye...just feel like I'm asking for disappointment there and I like cooking my own steaks

• Like 2

21 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Never get swordfish - it's not sustainably caught and, because its an apex predator, it also tends to be loaded with mercury from all the prey fish it eats.

ummmmm....ok there, ya yuhoo.

it's plenty substainable catching wild, but it's also regulated. 

and no more higher mercury than any other.  

and to you buddy. if at home, then hell yeah halibut, baked or seared.  but you should have gotten the swordfish. 

19 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

Swordfish has a very high level of mercury. I think the only seafood higher are whales and dolphins, which no one should ever eat anyway.

Don't fuck around with mercury poisoning. When the symptoms finally show decades down the line, you'll regret it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

In the US, everything is heavily regulated, but a lot of swordfish comes from Mexico, where regulations aren't quite as good.  It's especially true for fish that's imported into the middle of the country.  You have a better shot of getting safer and responsibly caught fish on the coasts where you have a more direct line to local fisherman. 

6 minutes ago, Insipid said:

Swordfish has a very high level of mercury. I think the only seafood higher are whales and dolphins, which no one should ever eat anyway.

Don't fuck around with mercury poisoning. When the symptoms finally show decades down the line, you'll regret it.

Indeed.  The key is that all three you mentioned are higher up the food chain.  For similar reasons larger members of the tuna family (Pacific Blue or Yellowtail, for instance) have a higher risk of heavy metal because the primarily consume smaller fish and crustaceons that might be exposed to it though coastal toxic waste dumps or territorial water effluence.  It's become less of an issue as first world nations have been taking a concerted effort to clean up their discharge and make improvements in stormwater mitigation.  Still, in general, it's best to avoid the predator fish from pelagic waters unless you live close to the ocean.

As an aside, Halibut is also a high level predator fish.  However, it comes from colder waters, meaning its mostly harvested form areas where there is less toxic effluence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, discolé monade said:

and to you buddy. if at home, then hell yeah halibut, baked or seared.  but you should have gotten the swordfish. 

I have no clue on sustainability but growing up in the coast, we always ate seafood and unless you are literally eating high level mercury fish daily, for several meals, the body flushes it. The key is not foolishly thinking an all fish diet is a good idea. It was an entire thing in 4H club.

No filet from a restaurant is going to be the reason I get mercury poisoning so I just took it as Scoob's usual dump of unimportant information. If I didn't get it growing up, I'm not going to suddenly get it now. 

As soon as the word sustainability comes up in reference to seafood, I have a nabsback and just kinda move along.

2 hours ago, Insipid said:

ok...settle down.

unless you're eating swordfish everyday...then fuck it.

also...jfc, swordfish in the NE atlantic is SO fucking substainable, that IF a restaurant has it on it's menu, it's because IT'S BEEN OK'D BY THE FUCKING PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF OK'ING THINGS.

FUCK 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, André Toulon said:

I have no clue on sustainability but growing up in the coast, we always ate seafood and unless you are literally eating high level mercury fish daily, for several meals, the body flushes it. The key is not foolishly thinking an all fish diet is a good idea. It was an entire thing in 4H club.

No filet from a restaurant is going to be the reason I get mercury poisoning so I just took it as Scoob's usual dump of unimportant information. If I didn't get it growing up, I'm not going to suddenly get it now. 

As soon as the word sustainability comes up in reference to seafood, I have a nabsback and just kinda move along.

Ok, now you're just being mean.

• Haha 3

Just now, scoobdog said:

I dunno man, I mean comparing me to that dude....

Aw hell.

Apology accepted.

*cranks up sound to ear splitting level*

Ok I wasn't actually comparing you to nabs, just saying that's a thing I associate with him.

I thought this was about the unimportant info thing because I thought that was just a running gag...you know you make entire thesises on subjects.....I mean, I do to but it's usually long winded insults.

But seriously, don't give that song too many views...I've heard that dude is a rapist....no evidence but I feel like rappers need to prove to me they aren't rapists at this point.

His name isn't scoob tho...just to clear it up, scoob is just the new way of saying my dogg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

But seriously, don't give that song too many views...I've heard that dude is a rapist....no evidence but I feel like rappers need to prove to me they aren't rapists at this point.

His name isn't scoob tho...just to clear it up, scoob is just the new way of saying my dogg

Fuck.  I mean, that checks out, but still.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Ok I wasn't actually comparing you to nabs, just saying that's a thing I associate with him.

I thought this was about the unimportant info thing because I thought that was just a running gag...you know you make entire thesises on subjects.....I mean, I do to but it's usually long winded insults.

lol sativa

amirite?

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 2:12 PM, André Toulon said:

Halibut or sword fish 

I'll say swordfish, for the halibut.

Or do you have any dead un-jugged rabbit fish?

Edited by tsar4