UnevenEdge

BREAKING NEWS: Toonami expands to 6 AM with DBZ Kai marathon March 16th, until 3:45 AM for DSED Finale March 23rd, and Zom 100 begins March 30th at 12:30

And as noted before, Zom 100 is kind of weird in that everyone got it.  Viz apparently had a non-exclusive contract leading to the show ending up on Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and now Toonami.  I would not be surprised if it shows up on Max under the Adult Swim section.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FUCK YAS LETS GO! 

Toonami haters BTFO haha 

This is pretty awesome though. Zom 100 is a decent show, there are parts that I definitely do not like haha but then again there are other things that i really like. This show is a good addition to the block. Fuck yeaaa!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, not what I expected, and that’s a good thing. And I was just recently thinking about pulling this show out of my backlog. Glad I didn’t. This explains why Aniplex didn’t spill the beans on Swordsmith a month ago. 

That makes two non sequel pickups in 2024, we haven’t done that well since 2020. And we have the potential to make it 3 depending on what replaces Lycoris. I still say MHA S7 takes over for Ninja Kamui, after a few weeks of stalling. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

:LithiumSmileyLaugh: Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't see this coming. It may have been my vote for most overrated of 2023 but I will gladly watch it again on the dub side. Plus it saves me the trouble of forcing myself to watch the last three subbed! (But I'm probably gonna do it anyway.)

• Like 4

Wow, that's surprising, to put it mildly.  I gotta say, I burnt out on the zombie genre some years ago, when it seemed like every movie, TV show, game, was just endless zombies all the time.  It got way oversaturated.  I had actually hoped Warm Bodies would take off and kill off the genre for a while, like Twilight did for vampires.

The concept from the synopsis also doesn't sound appealing to me.  But, since it's airing on Toonami, I will give it a chance.  The character designs and art style look good, at least. 

Edited by ben0119
  • Thanks 1

I had a feeling they could get ZOM 100 since everybody seemed to get it but I’m still a bit surprised they are showing it right now. That said, I do wonder if they were going to get it closer to the dub release but the production delays pushed it back. Feels rather out of season but it will make for a fun Spring show.

I’ve seen all but the last 3 or 4 episodes and it’s a blast but it also resonates a lot with people tired of the daily grind. You know you’re in a bad place when a zombie apocalypse seems better than sticking with your insufferable job. There’s some poignant character focused episodes that give the show more meat on its bones than you might expect. It’s going to be a delight to experience it with the Toonami audience.

• Thanks 1

• OwlChemist81 changed the title to BREAKING NEWS: Toonami expands to 6 AM with DBZ Kai marathon March 16th, until 3:45 AM for DSED Finale March 23rd, and Zom 100 begins March 30th at 12:30
32 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

BREAKING: THIS JUST IN!!

Tribute to Toriyama night 2-6A 3/16/24!

FB_IMG_1710178004428.jpg

That’s about the bare minimum they could do for a marathon so I’m not too impressed.

There’s two upsides. Not disrupting anything but One Piece and Shippuden and because it’s 2am it’s technically March 17th, aka Toonami’s anniversary.

The legend deserves more than a 4 hour marathon in the dead of the night using the show they just happen to have on hand. They could have and should have done it 5pm-12am or if they MUST Rick then maybe 5pm-11pm with an encore 2am-6am.

Eps 1-8 is kinda boring too. Why not major moments in the 98 episodes of Kai they probably have?

Goons are bemoaning that it’s Kai but anyone with a lick of sense knows reacquainting Dragon Ball or the old dub of DBZ isn’t in the cards between what Toei is willing to offer and CR being buttholes. Maybe they could have played Super but Kai is a better tribute anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Normally I’d be upset about something like this, but they had the good sense to leave the main 3 shows on the block, so this is happening with very little impact to normal viewers. 

For the very small group of people watching Kai, it’s pretty knuckleheaded to rerun the first 3 episodes on a marathon that already starts really late. Would 4-11 really been a budget buster?

28 minutes ago, Sketch said:

The legend deserves more than a 4 hour marathon in the dead of the night using the show they just happen to have on hand. They could have and should have done it 5pm-12am or if they MUST Rick then maybe 5pm-11pm with an encore 2am-6am.

Nah, this is more than enough. A TOM speech over some iconic moments would have been enough. Had they not gotten Kai back a month ago, that’s all he would have gotten anyway. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Normally I’d be upset about something like this, but they had the good sense to leave the main 3 shows on the block, so this is happening with very little impact to normal viewers. 

For the very small group of people watching Kai, it’s pretty knuckleheaded to rerun the first 3 episodes on a marathon that already starts really late. Would 4-11 really been a budget buster?

Nah, this is more than enough. A TOM speech over some iconic moments would have been enough. Had they not gotten Kai back a month ago, that’s all he would have gotten anyway. 

A marathon in the dead of the night using a show they have on hand isn’t by any stretch “more than enough” when the network has 5pm-6am to work with. If they didn’t recently bring back Kai I would agree that a video tribute was plenty but since they have the show they could reasonably do better than 2am-6am even last minute. I am glad they aren’t disrupting the premieres of note or delaying ZOM 100 in the process but they could have done pre-Toonami, Friday from 12-6 or any day from 5-9pm and not mess with anything important.

The most on-air presence this potentially gets is TOM saying something at the top of the block to tell people to stick around.

As a one-off airing 5pm-7pm would have been kinda weak too but if they started airing it 5pm-7pm every Saturday for a while that would be something. A real throw back to Toonami Super Saturdays. Airing it at 5pm or 7pm (just one ep) every weeknight would be even better but I know that much disruption to the norm is a tougher thing to pull off.

All I’m asking is for them to better implement the broadcast rights they currently have.

I wonder if 1:30 subbed Kamui will do well enough that they consider bumping it ahead of Battle Stadium DON. If they did that, it could be easy enough to double up Kai at 3am or even run it 3-6am every Saturday for a bit if this marathon drums up interest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sketch said:

That was a very unreasonable thing to suggest but it sure would be neat.

That’s my point though. They’re making due with what they have, which is assuredly better than nothing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

A marathon in the dead of the night using a show they have on hand isn’t by any stretch “more than enough” when the network has 5pm-6am to work with. If they didn’t recently bring back Kai I would agree that a video tribute was plenty but since they have the show they could reasonably do better than 2am-6am even last minute. I am glad they aren’t disrupting the premieres of note or delaying ZOM 100 in the process but they could have done pre-Toonami, Friday from 12-6 or any day from 5-9pm and not mess with anything important.

The most on-air presence this potentially gets is TOM saying something at the top of the block to tell people to stick around.

As a one-off airing 5pm-7pm would have been kinda weak too but if they started airing it 5pm-7pm every Saturday for a while that would be something. A real throw back to Toonami Super Saturdays. Airing it at 5pm or 7pm (just one ep) every weeknight would be even better but I know that much disruption to the norm is a tougher thing to pull off.

All I’m asking is for them to better implement the broadcast rights they currently have.

I wonder if 1:30 subbed Kamui will do well enough that they consider bumping it ahead of Battle Stadium DON. If they did that, it could be easy enough to double up Kai at 3am or even run it 3-6am every Saturday for a bit if this marathon drums up interest.

They probably don’t want to normalize it running at those hours since it will make people realize that’s where it should air normally rather than as a rerun on Toonami at 2:30a. 

Demarco and company care about this, the suits don’t. There is a zero percent chance they ever would have went for pulling precious primetime Fox reruns for DBZ. Frankly, I’m shocked they gave up the late night ones. 

Not to mention, this crowd is completely unpleasable. Give the the entire night, they will complain it’s not Ocean dub. Give them Ocean dub, they will complain about the filler/padding. Give them every single thing they ask for via magic, and 3/4 of them never even tune in because they forget about it by Saturday and aren’t Toonami regulars. 

No doubt TOM and Sara will have a big speech at the start of the night on Saturday. This is the best way to do a tribute but also not alienate regular viewers and throw off their already established schedule shifts. Considering they aren’t taking this opportunity to slow down Lycoris, I assume they both have its replacement locked in and have a specific time it needs to start. 

The Kamui sub at 1:30 will be interesting. That might be early enough for it to just squeak onto the rerun ratings reel. Though even if it does, I doubt that will change its regular home. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Even through all the complaining, I'll repeat what I said in the Spring Predictions thread:

A DBZ Kai marathon, the 45-minute finale to Demon Slayer, and the premiere of Zom 100. All within weeks of each other. We are eating good this month!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

Even through all the complaining, I'll repeat what I said in the Spring Predictions thread:

A DBZ Kai marathon, the 45-minute finale to Demon Slayer, and the premiere of Zom 100. All within weeks of each other. We are eating good this month!

Demon Slayer’s 45 min finale was gonna happen so I’m not adding points for that but the other things I do give them props for. They came into 2024 swinging and so far the only bummer was losing IGPX when we did.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Not to mention, this crowd is completely unpleasable. Give the the entire night, they will complain it’s not Ocean dub. Give them Ocean dub, they will complain about the filler/padding.

We have a perfect albeit legally dubious solution Williams Street's not seeing here.

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

We have a perfect albeit legally dubious solution Williams Street's not seeing here.

Toei would have a strike team at your house before you even sent one file. 

Then they would bring Demarco in for a paddlin’ just to set an example. 

• Haha 3

On 3/11/2024 at 2:44 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

I'm actually going to tape these episodes and watch 'em over time, so I'm thankful they're starting from the first episode. After this I guess I'll try to catch up on the rest via streaming. I figure it's the least I can do for a show from a franchise I respect and probably should've watched in its entirety when Toonami first aired it (I trailed off early in the Android saga).