UnevenEdge

Akira Toriyama has passed away

I’m just reminded again of how many people got into martial arts and other combat sports because of DBZ.  How many people got into art, animation, storytelling, etc.  Yeah, this one will take a bit.

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Jman said:

He was 68.  Not that old, just hitting retirement age.  

Damn.

Says Acute Hemotoma, so he either got hit in the head hard, or fell and hit something hard going down. That’s not an age or health thing which sucks even worse. Fortune was simply not on his side today. 

• Sad 2

DBZ is literally the foundation of what we know Toonami to be today. Without it, the block might not have been as successful as it was. Hell, a lot of media we know and love outside of that might not even exist today because of it. That's just how successful and influential Toriyama's work was.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

From being traumatized watching History of Trunks with zero context to shouting "Team Three Star" while watching this week's episode of the lewd magical girl anime you've probably heard about, Toriyama's had some place in my fandom in one way or another. R.I.P. to an icon, and let's hope Toei honors his memory by not making DAIMA another GT.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Thanks 2

RIP Akira Toriyama.  He was only 68, younger than I thought, and been doing this since he 23, and was still working on some projects.  Wow.

Dragon Ball Z was what got me into anime in the first place.  Lots of great memories.

I started with the Androids Saga, when Dr. Gero and Android 19 showed up, and was hooked.  I later went back and collected the VHSes, and also quite a lot of action figures and some videogames, and a DBZ Vegeta Haiiwan shirt. 😄 Done some fan art too.

Dragon Ball Z got me into anime, as I baselessy hated anime before that haha.  Then it was "I hate all anime except for Dragon Ball Z," then I gradually started watching more series. 🤣

• Like 1