UnevenEdge

I've got this sinking feeling...

Raptorpat

New satellite images show the eastern U.S. coast is sinking at a faster rate than what was first reported last year, according to a new study published in the journal PNAS Nexus.

Back in September, a team of scientists out of Southern California found that the New York City metro area is sinking at an average of 0.06 inches annually, USA TODAY previously reported. That number is now 0.08 inches in some areas, according to the new study published on Jan. 2.

"The problem is not just that the land is sinking. The problem is that the hotspots of sinking land intersect directly with population and infrastructure hubs," according to a statement from lead author Leonard Ohenhen, a graduate student working with associate professor Manoochehr Shirzaei at Virginia Tech’s Earth Observation and Innovation Lab.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/01/09/satellite-images-show-rate-east-coast-sinking/72152778007/

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

Yeah Florida is basically all sea level except manmade stuff. My understanding is it's basically impossible to get affordable property insurance because of all the climate change-induced storms and flooding etc.

The highest point in penninsular Florida is Sugarloaf Mountain in Lake county, a nosebleed-inducing  312 feet high.

We left Florida 20 years ago, and it was extremely difficult to get affordable property insurance even then. The big jump in prices and decrease in coverage started shortly after hurricane Andrew (if memory serves me).