UnevenEdge

Am I the asshole because a coworker was fired for organizing and cleaning my desk without my permission?

Insipid

Yes you read that right. People are mad at me at work. Let me explain. So we all have cubicles with high walls that are textured where you can hang things. I suck at decor. While some coworkers including this lady kept their spaces looking like hotel rooms or whatever, mine wasn't bad but it was busy. It was set up so I could find everything I needed for work.

Well one day I come into work and all my papers are things were gone. I look in my cabinets and everything is neatly tucked away. I was a little taken aback and offended. I get to work an hour early so I immediately start searching for everything and putting everything back.

While im looking someone who is higher up, like an assistant manager walks by...whats strange is

Shes early too

She was walking all the way on my side of the floor where her desk is many rows from mine

So i really think she was there because she saw something after i left the night before She asks me whats wrong. I tell her someone moved all my stuff. She then tells me to write the director about it.

So i write the email.

Remember, management APPROACHED me. I didn't go running to them.

I proceed to work. The lady comes in and doesn't say anything to me. At the end of the day I look in her cubicle and its cleaned out.

Now people are saying i got her fired. She talked to another coworker claiming she was only trying to help. Keep in mind i never asked her to clean my desk and she never asked me to clean my own desk either. Management is always putting out emails about cleanliness. People eat and leave food for days. When the director called me into her office she made a point of telling me my desk was fine. She said the situation had been handled. I never asked for this lady to be fired. I also had no idea who did it. People saw her.

Nows she fired and people blame me. AITA?

also..this lady wasnt a very good employee overall. She argued with customers and management a lot. She had the rules changed regarding cell phones because she kept FaceTiming her kids while at her desk.

Edit for clarity: The assistant manager approached me and asked me to write an email about what happened to my desk.

At the time of writing the email, I didn't know who had tampered with my things and no one told me. Actually no one told me she cleaned my desk, either. I put two and two together on the spot because she sat right next to me and would have looked at my desk everyday.

This lady was annoying in other ways. I have an earlier schedule than her and i remember her coming in and basically forcing me to say good mornings to her even while i was talking to a customer.

It was confirmed she was the culprit when other coworkers complained to me and told me the lady said she was only trying to help.

I wasnt concerned about sensitive information on the desk but the job requires knowing a lot of information and she pulled all of my resources i used often during the day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_annoying_one said:

Your desk may have been an eyesore to her (and maybe a few others), but she had no right to clean your cubicle without consulting you first. She sounds like the type of person who has to have everything her way or no way.

NTA.

lol, this was a fuggs thread on reddit. She was proud of this post because it got over 10k upvotes and made the front page of the subreddit one day. She most likely was the asshole, anyway.

I was gonna make more reddit-esque threads, but nah. This will be enough, for now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Insipid said:

lol, this was a fuggs thread on reddit. She was proud of this post because it got over 10k upvotes and made the front page of the subreddit one day. She most likely was the asshole, anyway.

I was gonna make more reddit-esque threads, but nah. This will be enough, for now.

You mean I fell for…..

Oh, goddammit! I’m gonna go hang my head in shame now. :distraught::LithiumSmileyLaugh:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

That was a long OP.

Obviously you’re not in the wrong, and you wouldn’t have been even if you had initiated the dismissal.  There’s a reason why entering a coworker’s space is forbidden that has nothing to do with violating personal space or bullying behavior:  if she had seen personal information from anyone on your desk, it could have been a potentially catastrophic data breach.  No doubt your assistant manager boss who witnessed her in your space was worried about that.

6 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Was it benji that posted it last time? I thought she posted it herself before she got banned.

Nah he came here to announce how much reddit liked her and linked the thread.

At least that's how I remember it but I'm high AF rn, so I'm less confident than I usually am with these. 

Brb

2 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

At least that's how I remember it but I'm high AF rn, so I'm less confident than I usually am with these. 

Brb

I never go to reddit, even if from a link. I guess its possible benji copypastad this the last time too.

7 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Brb

Pill hunter has told that same general story at least 3 different times in the past. Each time it gets just a little more 'poor me, I'm the absolute victim' and moves away from the original story that included her being a colossal douchcanoe to everyone in her immediate vicinity.  

• Haha 1