UnevenEdge

Predict Toonami in November/December 2023

Toonamiguy321

All of October is locked in, so it’s about time we kick around the final 2 months of the year 

11/4 - Scavengers/Dr Stone/OPx2/Naruto/rerun

11/11 - Scavengers/Dr Stone/OPx2/Naruto/rerun

11/18 - Scavengers/Dr Stone/OPx2/Naruto/rerun

11/25 - marathon

12/2 - Scavengers/Dr Stone/OPx2/Naruto/rerun

12/9 - Scavengers/Dr Stone/OPx2/Naruto/rerun

12/16 - Scavengers/Dr Stone/OPx2/Naruto/rerun

12/23 - Scavengers marathon 

12/30 - Grunge/Shoegaze marathon 

With this, Toonami ends the year with a pathetic resume of only two acquired shows for the entire year. And an open slot up front going into the new year, but Dr Stone can cover that. Only thing here I think might have a chance to be wrong is if they don’t get to start Dr Stone that soon. 

Just one thing: they potentially have 4 hours to play with on November 4th. I think you're right that we'll see Dr. Stone Season 2 debut that night as well, but if there's an opportunity to rerun AOT FC Part 1 any night, it's that night. Only thing is that it means if FLCL Grunge and Shoegaze are the Reruns, that would most likely bump one of them to the end of the Scavengers marathon...

59 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Just one thing: they potentially have 4 hours to play with on November 4th. I think you're right that we'll see Dr. Stone Season 2 debut that night as well, but if there's an opportunity to rerun AOT FC Part 1 any night, it's that night. Only thing is that it means if FLCL Grunge and Shoegaze are the Reruns, that would most likely bump one of them to the end of the Scavengers marathon...

DST always throws me off so excuse me if I’m getting it wrong, but I believe that the blocks current timeslot causes it to end right before DST flips the clocks back. I guess they could do something with the time, but if the block is over it’s probably easier and cheaper to just toss an hour of their own content there and call it good. I’m thinking if they want some more mileage out of AoT, they stick it on Thanksgiving, then maybe if we are lucky, part 2 can get wedged in somewhere before the year ends. 

And while we are on the topic of DST, I’m super butthurt that bill to abolish it for good was never voted on. We could have been done with this time shift nonsense for good, but no, here we are again a few weeks away from setting clocks back again. 

I mean that schedule doesn't look awful...

If they manage a way to stick Uzumaki and AOT Final Final For Real This Time XVII Pt. 2 before the end of the calendar year, they'll look solid.

This way it'll all be burnt off by the beginning of next year, and come February, the block gets replaced with Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Danger 5, and all available produced episodes of Turn-On looping endlessly for however many years until the channel is dead:

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Yes I suppose if they did intend to get an extra airing out of that Titan special then DST is the best night to do it besides whenever they can run both specials the same night (and you just know they will do that once). They can start whatever rerun they might have the following week in November.

I feel like they could do reruns of the new FLCL sequels because the timing lines up really nicely: Grunge, Thanksgiving marathon, Shoegaze, Christmas marathons. But Scavengers Reign will probably get its [as] airing soon and it's definitely leading off Toonami shortly after, so those would be better off stuffed in the back. Maybe after this we can finally get a proper rerun rotation of all the FLCLs?

What I find particularly interesting are the marathons: My Adventures with Superman hasn't gotten the treatment yet, so they might marathon it in December and spread it out over two weeks, just to remind people it exists and is getting another season. Who knows what the Thanksgiving marathon will be, but I think it'd be cool if they could do it for either One Piece or Shippuden, just for old times' sake, and as a parting gift if they go with the latter. But at this point, who knows if they're writing that stuff into the contracts?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Blatch said:

I feel like they could do reruns of the new FLCL sequels because the timing lines up really nicely: Grunge, Thanksgiving marathon, Shoegaze, Christmas marathons. But Scavengers Reign will probably get its [as] airing soon and it's definitely leading off Toonami shortly after, so those would be better off stuffed in the back. Maybe after this we can finally get a proper rerun rotation of all the FLCLs?

What I find particularly interesting are the marathons: My Adventures with Superman hasn't gotten the treatment yet, so they might marathon it in December and spread it out over two weeks, just to remind people it exists and is getting another season. Who knows what the Thanksgiving marathon will be, but I think it'd be cool if they could do it for either One Piece or Shippuden, just for old times' sake, and as a parting gift if they go with the latter. But at this point, who knows if they're writing that stuff into the contracts?

As brainless as I think Demarco is, I do think he has a little bit of sense to recognize that the audience is FLCL’d out at this point. 2 runs of the original, 1 of Prog and Alt, and 2 runs of Grunge and Shoegaze is an FLCL overload. Maybe they tag back in 6 months from now, but I don’t think we are gonna see another loop this year. 

Reruns always seem to be a wildcard, now and then something cool falls in their lap to play, others they just throw whatever on because they know no one will watch it anyway. Wouldn’t be surprised if they opted to wait on using Superman for marathon fodder until next year when the new season is closer to airing. Makes for an easy two night marathon before the new season premiers, not on Toonami of course. 

• Like 1

I know our prevailing theory right now is Scavengers premier on Thursday with a Toonami rerun on Saturday, but the online schedule for November 2 is up on TV Passport, and Scavengers is nowhere to be seen. Of course, that doesn’t necessarily mean anything, it could premier on a different day, or AS could change the schedule before this point, something they are not averse to doing. But, it does give us an excuse to theorize an alternative schedule to end the year on. 

Smart money is still on Dr Stone, without Scavengers, likely our lead show, but that does leave room to squeeze in one more show and have a slightly less pathetic send off for 2023.

Fridays have been our Facebook news days lately, perhaps a big reveal in the morning?

IMG_0802.jpeg

Thanks to a Saturday Facebook update (how unusual) we know they have Dr. Stone for November 11th and IGPX remastered is airing during DST after two airings of the first Titan special.

Probably an easy guess that November 11th will look like this.

12:00 AM - Dr. Stone: New World Part 2

12:30 AM - One Piece

01:00 AM - One Piece

01:30 AM - Naruto: Shippuden

02:00 AM - Shippuden / IGPX / Other Rerun

02:30 AM - IGPX Remastered / Other Rerun

I’m not suggesting an hour of IGPX but I’m not sure if it would get the first rerun slot or the second.

Scavengers Reign wraps on Max on November 9th so maybe it will start on Toonami on the 11th but now I’m thinking they’ll wait till January or perhaps when Dr. Stone: New World ends.

That said,  I’m all for this:

12:00 AM - Scavengers Reign

12:30 AM - Dr. Stone: New World Part 2

01:30 AM - One Piece

02:00 AM - Naruto: Shippuden

02:30 AM - IGPX Remastered

Uzumaki can show up in January, maybe.

Edited by Sketch

5 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Probably an easy guess that November 11th will look like this.

12:00 AM - Dr. Stone: New World Part 2

12:30 AM - One Piece

01:30 AM - Naruto: Shippuden

02:00 AM - Shippuden / IGPX / Other Rerun

02:30 AM - IGPX Remastered / Other Rerun

I’m not suggesting an hour of IGPX but I’m not sure if it would get the first rerun slot or the second.

Scavengers Reign wraps on Max on November 9th so maybe it will start on Toonami on the 11th but now I’m thinking they’ll wait till January or perhaps when Dr. Stone: New World ends.

I feel like if double Naruto or more reruns was the answer, they would have dropped a graphic for the 11th. Announcing Dr Stone here was a clear “we know this schedule sucks hard please don’t quit” move, but no graphic makes it feel like they haven’t finalized the 11th yet and may have one more surprise waiting. 

59 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I feel like if double Naruto or more reruns was the answer, they would have dropped a graphic for the 11th. Announcing Dr Stone here was a clear “we know this schedule sucks hard please don’t quit” move, but no graphic makes it feel like they haven’t finalized the 11th yet and may have one more surprise waiting. 

Potentially. Be it Scavengers or a fresh acquisition. Since when did you start believing in double premiere nights again? 😝 

15 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Potentially. Be it Scavengers or a fresh acquisition. Since when did you start believing in double premiere nights again? 😝 

Normally I wouldn’t, but there are just a bunch of abnormalities here pointing to one. A Saturday schedule update, Dr Stone announcement with no timeslot or graphic, Naruto’s rapidly declining episode count making further double ups seem unlikely, just a lot of signs pointing to there being a little more to this than what they have told us. 

And for now, I’m still leaning towards midnight Scavengers being the answer, they will just run an episode before the Thanksgiving marathon to get it all in before 2024. So it still won’t be two acquired premiers, which is usually the thing we never get. Max probably just had an embargo on when they can reveal it, and if they said Dr Stone at 12:30 that unintentionally reveals too much. 

Scavengers Reign is 12 episodes. They’ll be releasing 3 per week on Max and finish on November 9th. They can’t finish it on Adult Swim before 2024 unless they run more than one a week. Toonami might actually get the network premieres if it starts on November 11th. Just seems odd for them to run the first episode on AS the day the final 3 drop on Max but it could happen.

Whatever the case may be, they could run Dr. Stone and Scavengers co-currently from November 11th till mid February taking some nights off in December. If they have both on November 11th then maybe they’ll run a regular block on November 25th so they don’t get further behind on Dr. Stone. Suppose they could just do a needless marathon after both but they might as well run a regular lineup if the rest is just OP x 2, Shippuden and IGPX.

Boy I hope they don’t put off airing the last Titan special until the week after Dr. Stone finishes. CR can get that dub finished before January I would imagine.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/scavengers-reign-season-1-many-082940619.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHMuz9Nds-2O6qZcKQllRuJJFKltUygK_EM_OESn7hpDBzRSQf5cDPUK00aw7bkUUnOxfUQ_eRca4iVw2naeO2iOa3zuNY-iVBOnMeGV2y8D_lGz9eaZGRkLjRcUeLvBtD0BwTMQBe8_DLReUzVpsa_GWuPuxhrCx-it2Ku173Am

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Scavengers Reign is 12 episodes. They’ll be releasing 3 per week on Max and finish on November 9th. They can’t finish it on Adult Swim before 2024 unless they run more than one a week. Toonami might actually get the network premieres if it starts on November 11th. Just seems odd for them to run the first episode on AS the day the final 3 drop on Max but it could happen.

Oh, it’s a full 12, I misunderstood the article about it and thought it was only 6. With that, there is no real urgency to get it on the schedule then, and I agree with you that it’s better to have it run with Dr Stone so they end the same time. 

With their dub capabilities now, they could have the special dubbed before Thanksgiving TBH. Then either air it then over a pointless marathon, or they slide it in sometime in December. 

Okay so IGPX might only air one night for now. Sounds like the materials won’t be ready for a full run yet. And 5 episodes definitely wasn’t an option.

They have SOME other options for reruns but unless they start Scavengers on the 11th and keep double OP they might very well be hiding a block cut in the DST schedule again. 😒

• Confused 1

No block cut in the DST schedule this time. AOT/IGPX night is 4 hours long, then after that, it would likely be Dr. Stone, then 2 One Pieces, then 2 Shippudens, then FLCL Grunge.

That kinda sucks, but at least Toonami would stay 3 hours. But maybe we'll get lucky and get Scavengers: Reign too.

My theory is that they can air double One Piece as long as they take a night off to store it up. One Piece won't air October 21, 28, or November 4. That likely means 3 weeks of double OP on the 11th, the 18th, and either the 25th or December 2nd.

So...............that happened............

Nov 11th: Scavenger's Reign x2, Dr. Stone, One Piece, Naruto Shippuden, FLCL Grunge

Nov 18th: Scavenger's Reign, Dr. Stone, One Piece x2, Naruto Shippuden, FLCL Grunge

Nov 25th: Attack On Titan: The Final Final Final Chapter Part 2 + AOT: TFFFC Part 1

Dec 2nd/9th/16th: Scavenger's Reign, Dr. Stone, One Piece x2, Naruto Shippuden, FLCL Grunge/Shoegaze

Dec 23rd: FLCL Grunge/Shoegaze marathon

Dec 30th: AOT: The Final Final Final Chapter Parts 1 + 2

Jan 6th/13th/20th/27th: Scavenger's Reign, Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood War, Dr. Stone, One Piece x2, Naruto Shippuden

Feb 3rd: Scavenger's Reign x2 , Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood War, Dr. Stone, One Piece x2, Naruto Shippuden

Feb 10th: Rick and Morty: The Anime x2, Dr. Stone, One Piece x2, Naruto Shippuden

Feb 17th: Young Justice x2, Rick and Morty: The Anime, Harley Quinn x2, One Piece x2, Naruto Shippuden x3

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Okay so IGPX might only air one night for now. Sounds like the materials won’t be ready for a full run yet. And 5 episodes definitely wasn’t an option.

Hmm, that’s not what I expected, I guess that explains why Toonami is even getting DST this year in the first place. 

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

No block cut in the DST schedule this time. AOT/IGPX night is 4 hours long, then after that, it would likely be Dr. Stone, then 2 One Pieces, then 2 Shippudens, then FLCL Grunge.

If they were gonna do something simple like that, they could have just given us the full schedule rather than announcing Dr Stone without a graphic or timeslot. Naruto simply cannot keep up this 2 per week pace, they have already lost about 3 months worth of episodes. Here are the two possibilities I see.

12 - Scavengers/New acquired show

12:30 - Dr Stone

1 - One Piece

1:30 - One Piece

2 - Naruto

2:30 - any rerun but FLCL

Or, using their trickery from last year 

12 - Dr Stone

12:30 - One Piece

1 - One Piece

1:30 - Naruto

There is also a mix and match option where they do add Scavengers, but still cut 30 minutes

Absurd. We are NOT going down to 2 hours! Besides, yes they hid the drop to 3 hours in DST last year, but DST was 4 hours then AND IS GOING TO BE 4 HOURS THIS YEAR TOO!! Going from 4 to 2 would be too much of a cut. If we were going down to 2 hours, DST would be 3 hours.

If Naruto: Shippuden stays doubled-up, it likely ends in early 2024. Maybe THEN we'll be talking about a 2-hour Toonami, but not yet.

Also, the rerun COULD be an FLCL. Why the hell not!?

Hell, they could run AOT from the  beginning if they're THAT desperate for content. Do that 2x or even 3x in 2024 at the end of every Toonami until you get back to the specials, which would just need an extra half-hour for 3 weeks (to air 85-87 back-to-back, then the specials) in the former case. The whole series would take 31 weeks if aired 3 episodes a week, 29 weeks for the first 87 episodes, and then 2 more weeks for the specials. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Also, the rerun COULD be an FLCL. Why the hell not!?

You are right, nothing is actually stopping them from doing so. But like I said, I have the tiniest bit of faith in Demarco recognizing they have laid FLCL on pretty heavy this year and it’s time for it to take a break so it doesn’t grow permanent audience animosity like Primal S2. Even the Shoegaze marathon promo calls it a “final curtain call”. 

Backlog wise, they have enough to fill slots up, but that’s the wrong question. Sure, AoT could fill up slots for 6 months or more than a year, but is that actually going to put asses in seats to justify making bumpers and stuff for it? Or could they just thoughtlessly throw Futurama in that time for the same or better returns without the Toonami packaging legwork? 

Full disclosure, I don’t think a cut is coming, but I do find the secrecy around 11/11 suspect now that we know IGPX isn’t anywhere close to being ready for a full run. 

• Like 1

I'll throw one additional consideration in for the heck of it.

Maybe they don't dial Shippuden back to 1 episode like most of us are expecting. Maybe the whole 2AM hour is new Shippuden on the regular line-up weeks in November and December? We think they'd want to hold back Shippuden as not to lose a stable premiere but maybe they're thinking the opposite and want to finish it sooner in 2024 rather than later.

If they have Scavengers on top of Dr. Stone then they could potentially have a full block of premieres if they keep Shippuden doubled up. It would be a nice gesture to the long time Shippuden viewers at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

I'll throw one additional consideration in for the heck of it.

Maybe they don't dial Shippuden back to 1 episode like most of us are expecting. Maybe the whole 2AM hour is new Shippuden on the regular line-up weeks in November and December? We think they'd want to hold back Shippuden as not to lose a stable premiere but maybe they're thinking the opposite and want to finish it sooner in 2024 rather than later.

If they have Scavengers on top of Dr. Stone then they could potentially have a full block of premieres if they keep Shippuden doubled up. It would be a nice gesture to the long time Shippuden viewers at least.

Honestly I’d love it if Shippuden stayed doubled up for the rest of its run. You are right, anyone who has stayed dedicated to the Toonami run for Shippuden deserve some kind of reward, and reaching that fabled finish line a little faster is the least they can do. But that’s where my faith in Demarco ends. He has long been a believer in making things last as long as possible, and right now when the options are incredibly slim, it actually makes sense.  Even if they do get it off faster, for what? They didn’t get a damn thing in 2023, no reason to believe 2024 will be different. Rushing off Shippuden is something that would have me believe a time cut is certain, cause they don’t got nothing to replace that anchor. 

There are even quite a few sunk cost fallacy fans sticking with Toonami purely to see Naruto end since they were here from the start. Once it does end, there are going to be a lot of people who don’t have any ties left to the block. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So uh, guess Uzumaki is going to miss yet another deadline.  The fact that Zaslav hasn't sent it to tax write-off hell is honestly surprising at this point.  

Scavengers Reign is beautiful, so hope they make more stuff like that.  Because as far as anime goes, best case scenario for the dub of Titan is January I'd say, Naruto is finishing up its tour of duty sometime next year and DeMarco already cut Boruto loose, with no take-backs thanks to Crunchyroll, and after that is One Piece, which next contract will likely see a substantial price increase thanks to the Netflix show.

2024 will be Crunch Time for Toonami in a big way, especially since as far as anime goes, Ninja Kamui and that Watanabe project are it.  If the block still has value to air leftover Max stuff that couldn't air on Adult Swim proper, there's always Creature Commandos, more MAWS, and if all else truly fails, Velma.  If DeMarco doesn't want his baby to be dragged through the mud as a mere encore block for random Y7 shows/Mindy Kailing vanity projects, then late 2024/early 2025 may be when it's time to gracefully wind down the block's operations.

• Like 1

As long as it doesn’t affect premiere dates elsewhere, which is what I always worry about.  This is a big deal, especially after Demon Slayer’s most recent season kicked Castlevania Nocturne’s ass despite having been on Crunchyroll for months.

• Like 2

Holy crap! Welp, nobody predicted this! What if we got Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood War or Scavenger's Reign on the 18th to fill the extra slot?

Then we'd end the year with this banger of an lineup!

12:00AM: Bleach: TYBW or Scavenger's Reign

12:30AM: Demon Slayer Mugen Train/Entertainment District arc -> hopefully it eventually leads to the Swordsmith Village arc

1:00AM: Dr. Stone Season 3 Cour 2

1:30AM: One Piece (FULL HOUR)

2:30AM: Naruto Shippuden 

3 hours ago, Otakuninja9000 said:

Holy crap! Welp, nobody predicted this! What if we got Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood War or Scavenger's Reign on the 18th to fill the extra slot?

Then we'd end the year with this banger of an lineup!

12:00AM: Bleach: TYBW or Scavenger's Reign

12:30AM: Demon Slayer Mugen Train/Entertainment District arc -> hopefully it eventually leads to the Swordsmith Village arc

1:00AM: Dr. Stone Season 3 Cour 2

1:30AM: One Piece (FULL HOUR)

2:30AM: Naruto Shippuden 

That would be great but these are my expectations even though I think it would be stupid to wait to start Scavengers Reign until early 2024

Either this if they're airing over Thanksgiving weekend:

11/18 - DS / Stone / One Piece x 2 / Shippuden / Rerun
11/25 - DS / Stone / One Piece x 2 / Shippuden / Rerun
12/02 - DS / Stone / One Piece x 2 / Shippuden / Rerun
12/09 - DS / Stone / One Piece x 2 / Shippuden / Rerun
12/16 - DS / Attack on Titan 2 Hour Finale
12/23 - Demon Slayer Mugen Train Marathon
12/30 - Attack on Titan Finale Part 1 and Part 2

Or this if they don't want to premiere anything on Thanksgiving weekend:

11/18 - DS / DS / Stone / One Piece / Shippuden / Rerun (same as 11/11)
11/25 - Demon Slayer Mugen Train Ep 1-4 Marathon

Maybe the Titan Finale can premiere on 12/02, in which case just flip the schedules for 12/02 and 12/16

42 minutes ago, Sketch said:

That would be great but these are my expectations even though I think it would be stupid to wait to start Scavengers Reign until early 2024

Just a thought, Scavengers has been received incredibly well by reviewers and audience alike, perhaps they aren’t in a rush to get it on cable now that they know it can carry its own weight. The only reason it would air on AS at all is to shill it to people who aren’t giving it a chance, but it seems plenty of people are giving it a chance with no extra push. Would not be surprised at all if Max wants to keep that exclusive for the foreseeable future just as a Max exclusive draw. 

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Just a thought, Scavengers has been received incredibly well by reviewers and audience alike, perhaps they aren’t in a rush to get it on cable now that they know it can carry its own weight. The only reason it would air on AS at all is to shill it to people who aren’t giving it a chance, but it seems plenty of people are giving it a chance with no extra push. Would not be surprised at all if Max wants to keep that exclusive for the foreseeable future just as a Max exclusive draw. 

What if I want to watch it without having to subscribe to Max? 9_9

• Like 1

• Top Gun unpinned this topic
22 hours ago, Sketch said:

Either this if they're airing over Thanksgiving weekend:

11/18 - DS / Stone / One Piece x 2 / Shippuden / Rerun
11/25 - DS / Stone / One Piece x 2 / Shippuden / Rerun

Or this if they don't want to premiere anything on Thanksgiving weekend:

11/18 - DS / DS / Stone / One Piece / Shippuden / Rerun (same as 11/11)
11/25 - Demon Slayer Mugen Train Ep 1-4 Marathon

Maybe the Titan Finale can premiere on 12/02, in which case just flip the schedules for 12/02 and 12/16

The great @Sketch.....................

I could see that happening, but what about the 2:30 slot?

4 hours ago, Otakuninja9000 said:

That could just be an error......or Shippuden's still for a full hour, but they don't feel like mentioning it.....

Or it’s not an error and they are using the fact that Demon Slayer’s title takes up two lines to quietly slip it in like they did last year by using the DST hour to make it appear to quick lookers that the block was the same length. 

Error? Maybe. Intentionally hiding double Naruto for no good reason? No chance. 

• Haha 1