UnevenEdge

Predict Toonami in November/December 2023

Toonamiguy321

My main concern is if people will double dip.  The show is popular.  It aired on Netflix and beat the brakes off a ton of their originals, (Fuck you Nocturne!) but Mugen Train is almost four years old.  If people come back to Toonami for seconds, great, but I wonder if more people will just watch on Netflix.

22 minutes ago, Jman said:

My main concern is if people will double dip.  The show is popular.  It aired on Netflix and beat the brakes off a ton of their originals, (Fuck you Nocturne!) but Mugen Train is almost four years old.  If people come back to Toonami for seconds, great, but I wonder if more people will just watch on Netflix.

I don’t think it was worth sacrificing most of this year just for demon slayer 

1 hour ago, Jman said:

It’s for sure going to harm its performance. I don’t expect it to crater the entire block, but they likely paid straight out the asshole to get this locked down and are probably going to get numbers comparable to peak Superman. Then there are two ways that goes, either they recognize it’s pointless to wait on big names, or they decide acquiring shows at all is pointless since no matter what they air it caps at about 270k viewers. 

Are they really going to be airing past the first two episodes? My understanding is that it's a big enough undertaking for Jose that we can't expect a weekly run. Maybe these are just repeats of the first two to stall, but I don't know what they would be stalling for or if it would even be practical.

27 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Touché.

Not sure if this guy is just playing coy or if Demarco is really stupid enough to try to force this get done faster. I hope this isn’t costing the block money. 

Id argue we have 3 delays coming up before 2024, but those are holidays for everyone so they probably won’t make much headway on the project during those weeks. 

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2023 at 12:31 PM, CountFrylock said:

Why are they so impatient for a rerun? 

Couldn’t tell ya.

They could have easily bought 3-6 weeks rerunning an FLCL or brought back GITS, Samurai Jack, Superman or Unicorn (which is oddly airing right after Toonami at 3am, starting this weekend).

Its downright bizarre to be putting Jose and others into a simuldub type crunch just for a remastered version of IGPX, a show they have had opportunities to rerun for years but haven’t touched since it was pulled mid-run in 2015.

At any rate we know the schedule for the 18th now and this might be the schedule till December 23rd if they don’t preempt the regular lineup on November 25th. After 3 marathon weeks in October, maybe they won’t immediately disrupt Demon Slayer and Dr. Stone after 2 weeks.

And the titanic question left to answer is when do we get the last Titan special? December 16th would be nice but unless they stick it at 1am they would have to preempt Dr. Stone an extra week. Though waiting till Dr. Stone is over seems excessive and with the holidays booting it for 2 weeks minimum, I suppose booting it a 3rd week isn’t a huge deal. However if Demon Slayer continues immediately into the next arc which begins with a double-length episode then it’s a bit more complicated to air the Titan finale before Dr. Stone wraps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

At any rate we know the schedule for the 18th now and this might be the schedule till December 23rd if they don’t preempt the regular lineup on November 25th. After 3 marathon weeks in October, maybe they won’t immediately disrupt Demon Slayer and Dr. Stone after 2 weeks.

If they were not taking time off on the 25th, there was no reason to double up DS on the 11th. 

Im still putting my bet on the board, AoT part 2 on the 25th. It airs on the 4th, that’s 21 days to dub 84 minutes of content. We live in a time where a 22 minute episode can be turned around in 24 hours. It’s a crunch, but it’s a crunch they are used to. Nobody in this cast reel needs coached, they know their characters front to back at this point. With how quickly CR is handing over Dr Stone, I can’t see them throwing a 6 month wrench into AoT again.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Its downright bizarre to be putting Jose and others into a simuldub type crunch just for a remastered version of IGPX, a show they have had opportunities to rerun for years but haven’t touched since it was pulled mid-run in 2015.

In my eyes, it’s Demarco trying to save face in the end of the year. In his eyes, IGPX counts as a “get” because it’s remastered, so it’s “new”. Since it’s in the rerun slot, if there is a delay, they will just loop an episode or something and there won’t be many complaints because the rerun slot is dead air to most people. Now if there are complaints, Demarco can claim the November schedule added 3 shows. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

If they were not taking time off on the 25th, there was no reason to double up DS on the 11th. 

Im still putting my bet on the board, AoT part 2 on the 25th. It airs on the 4th, that’s 21 days to dub 84 minutes of content. We live in a time where a 22 minute episode can be turned around in 24 hours. It’s a crunch, but it’s a crunch they are used to. Nobody in this cast reel needs coached, they know their characters front to back at this point. With how quickly CR is handing over Dr Stone, I can’t see them throwing a 6 month wrench into AoT again.

In my eyes, it’s Demarco trying to save face in the end of the year. In his eyes, IGPX counts as a “get” because it’s remastered, so it’s “new”. Since it’s in the rerun slot, if there is a delay, they will just loop an episode or something and there won’t be many complaints because the rerun slot is dead air to most people. Now if there are complaints, Demarco can claim the November schedule added 3 shows. 

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you but are you saying they can preempt the whole lineup on November 25th?

They still won’t finish Mugen Train if it doesn’t air on either November 25th or December 23rd. They could have preempted Mugen Train on November 25th if they doubled it on Nov 18th but they didn’t. So that said I think we’ll either have a mostly regular schedule on Nov 25th or a complete regular schedule.

It actually takes about a week to dub a standard episode of a simulcast if they have the materials in a timely fashion. Since this is more like a movie it could go a little faster because they can record each actor in longer sessions and that makes scheduling less complicated but 3 weeks is still pushing it. December 2nd might be doable but they might as well run it on Dec 16th.

So probably this:

Nov 18th - DSMT 3 / Stone / OPx2 / Shippuden / IGPX

Nov 25th - DSMT 4 / Stone / OPx2 / Shippuden / IGPX

Dec 2nd - DSMT 5 / Stone / OPx2 / Shippuden / IGPX

Dec 9th - DSMT 6 / Stone / OPx2 / Shippuden / IGPX

Dec 16th - DSMT 7 / Stone / OPx2 / Shippuden / IGPX

OR

Dec 16th they run the Titan finale with DSMT ep 7 and maybe Dr. Stone

Unless they scale back One Piece to start Scavengers in December

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

They still won’t finish Mugen Train if it doesn’t air on either November 25th or December 23rd. They could have preempted Mugen Train on November 25th if they doubled it on Nov 18th but they didn’t. So that said I think we’ll either have a mostly regular schedule on Nov 25th or a complete regular schedule.

Oh my, I miscounted the weeks. Then Mugen Train at 12, AoT at 12:30. Then whatever fits its slot at the end, if there is even time left. On the 25th if Crunchyroll wants the stream greenlight ASAP,  or the 16th if they want the staff to have plenty of time to finalize it. 

Id say Scavengers is next year material, either right in January to replace DS, or if we get more DS, to replace Dr Stone in Feb/March. 

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well, looks like the IGPX episodes at 2:30 AM on the 11th and 18th are just gonna be reruns of the ones airing during the bonus 2 AM hour on the 4th:

Well, that makes the DST event completely pointless, but at least it gives the remaster team a few extra weeks of breathing room. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

So some good news, Zap2it is showing Shippuden at 2am on the 26th, so it looks like we are free and clear on Thanksgiving this year. I have to assume the past 3 dead weeks plays some part in that choice. 

IMG_0847.jpeg

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I saw on Swimpedia that they're airing the third IGPX episode remastered. Something tells me they've started work on that show by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I saw on Swimpedia that they're airing the third IGPX episode remastered. Something tells me they've started work on that show by now.

Well they don’t have a choice, a week and a half ago they added IGPX into the weekly rotation, it wasn’t just gonna stop after rerunning 1-2

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sketch said:

So probably all that's left to predict for December is whether we get the Attack on Titan special that month or not. I still see it as a strong possibility for December 16th after Demon Slayer and possibly also Dr. Stone

Watch this post age poorly instantly

I’ll throw in with you on this gamble

12 - Demon Slayer

12:30 - AoT part 2

2:30 - IGPX

Iirc it’s right on the edge of being 90 minutes so I think it’s gonna need a 2 hour slot. 

• Like 2

It's gonna get 4 slots, it would be pretty tight to fit into 3.5

The question to me is whether they run Dr. Stone that night to avoid getting 3 weeks behind. They'll run Demon Slayer if it's in December because they are bound and determined to finish Mugen Train by Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sketch said:

The question to me is whether they run Dr. Stone that night to avoid getting 3 weeks behind. They'll run Demon Slayer if it's in December because they are bound and determined to finish Mugen Train by Christmas.

I think an ideal scenario for them is AoT right at midnight. But that won’t do as it would leave Demon Slayer hanging. So they will settle for 12:30 and get an extra week out of Dr Stone. Personally I don’t think they really care about how far behind they get. Less is better of course, but I don’t think they are going to sweat it.

Remember the looped episode of the last part of the season? There was an easy way to fix that and keep it on pace, but they took the most roundabout nonsense way they could think of and ended up slowing its run down. 

Edited by Toonamiguy321
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I've been keeping tabs on Toonami schedules, and based on my number crunching, they can technically air the AOT finale on December 23rd, two days before Christmas, assuming they don't get the Entertainment District Arc. That way, they'd have a slot open at Midnight to end the year with a boom.

If it's proven to be otherwise, I'll eat a ketchup packet whole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

I've been keeping tabs on Toonami schedules, and based on my number crunching, they can technically air the AOT finale on December 23rd, two days before Christmas, assuming they don't get the Entertainment District Arc. That way, they'd have a slot open at Midnight to end the year with a boom.

They have premiered a movie around that close to Christmas but I wouldn't bet a whole ketchup packet on them doing that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

I hope you like ketchup man. There aren’t a lot of constants with Toonami scheduling, but taking a two week break at the end of the year is one that has been extremely consistent. The 23rd is way too close to Christmas to blow any kind of premier on,  and they always stick another one the week after. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Status update: The outside of a ketchup packet tastes as bad as it sounds. Don't eat plastic, kids.

Aside from that, if I had known that Dr. Stone would be a double premiere on the 16th, I would have extended that show's marathon on the 23rd. But that's not what I expect.

What I DO expect is for Flicker of Doom to only get that singular airing and just pray enough people realized we get two episodes that night.

• Sad 1
  • D'oh 1