UnevenEdge

DeMarco does interview with Vulture about FLCL, compares it to Star Wars and says he will keep making new seasons

Jman

I appreciate that they won't mess with Naota and Mamimi without Tsurumaki at the helm but that all the more makes every additional story into filler of no consequence because arguably none of this shit is canon to the original. Sure they attempted to explore N.O. and a bit about Medical Mechanica in Progressive and Alternative but by the end of Grunge and Shoegaze they are unlikely to have informed the viewers of anything interesting about any of the lore or concepts. Making this all that much more pointless. It's fine to use FLCL as a framing device and expand that universe but you actually have to do something with it besides imply that in some versions of this multiverse there are rock people and the rich and important people leave the planet.

• Thanks 2

Imagine the level of audacity you need to compare FLCL to Star Wars and Marvel. “Why yes, our anime we could only afford 3 cheap CGI episodes for is on the same level as these franchises that people pour billions of dollars into to have made! We are on the same level!” Unless the point he was making is that they are the same in that they keep making sequels no one wants, but something tells me Demarco’s ego is too big for that kind of self reflection. 

Come the fuck on Zaslav, I know you are looking for the million dollar cuts to save money, but can you PLEASE kill the Toonami original budget so this garbage stops? 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Daos said:

Is Demarco really this delusional or does he just say things like this for attention?

He sort of has to, given that this is all Toonami has at the moment, and given how things are going in the anime industry right now (I'll be making bumping a thread about a particular event soon), things probably won't get better.

Edited by Blatch

13 minutes ago, Blatch said:

He sort of has to, given that this is all Toonami has at the moment, and given how things are going in the anime industry right now (I'll be making bumping a thread about a particular event soon), things probably won't get better.

All the more reason to emulate Toonami broadcasts for shows not on Toonami with the content rating clips.

14 minutes ago, Blatch said:

I mean I get it, but there's a fine line between being a hype man and just sounding like a nut that's out of touch with reality. He has crossed that line.

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

Toonami as a block right now is between a rock (Crunchyroll and Sony's rather worrying monopoly) and a hard place (Netflix seeing anime as a growth sector and throwing massive amounts of cash at studios to make shows for someone very high up in their chain of command that's a weeb).  Zaslav has made it clear that the block needs to make due with what it has, and what it has is FLCL, some old contracts, and the occasional Y7 show they didn't want on Cartoon Network proper so they could air another rerun of Teen Titans Go or Craig of the Creek.  Granted FLCL and two dollars will get you a cup of coffee, but DeMarco doesn't have the means to license manga of any value or even of a niche like Netflix does (which is why I'm convinced sometime next year Netflix is just going to announce Gigant anime as a blatant middle finger to Toonami and what it can do) and the warchest Crunchyroll has is closed as they seem to be taking steps to ensure that they control it more tightly.  

None of that excuses DeMarco comparing FLCL to Star Wars.  But he really has no other cards to play.  

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

There’s a balance between working with the tools you have as best you can, and just making yourself look like a delusional, out of touch fool. He could have been reasonable and went out there and said Toonami is playing around with the FLCL franchise and seeing if they can get anything to stick. That message still ignores the fan requests to STOP making these sequels, but it’s still kinda humble. But no, instead he went out and said they are on the level of Star Wars and Marvel, and tomorrow will wonder why he continues to be a laughingstock. 

Back when Prog and Alt had been out for a few months, he did admit the reception was about 50/50 which I think was accurate. That’s not a great score, so seeing him admit that made it seem like he did understand his position, but the way he has been handling Grunge reception shows he is just ignoring all bad reviews and claiming everyone loves it because he only read the good reviews.

10 hours ago, MCPissPants said:

There will probably be as many FLCL sequels as Land Before Time sequels.

God I hope not.  

It's just...what are we even doing anymore?  I don't even remember if it was this bad in 2007 where the one thing keeping the block afloat was Naruto.  Hell, this right now would be like 2007 in the timeline where the Naruto movie came out in 2007, and got great reviews and did equivalent box office to Batman Begins.  Please, someone point to some positive signs here, because I'm trying to find something to hang my hat on.  

2 hours ago, Jman said:

God I hope not.  

It's just...what are we even doing anymore?  I don't even remember if it was this bad in 2007 where the one thing keeping the block afloat was Naruto.  Hell, this right now would be like 2007 in the timeline where the Naruto movie came out in 2007, and got great reviews and did equivalent box office to Batman Begins.  Please, someone point to some positive signs here, because I'm trying to find something to hang my hat on.  

The 30% chance Uzumaki won't suck even if Netflix's Junji Ito anime did.

• Thanks 1