UnevenEdge

what is happening with s. korean t.v.?

discolé monade

that is, why is there SO MUCH BULLYING in the high schools?

all the k'dramas i've been watching and there's ALWAYS a bullying story. 

also, i didn't know this, but their presidential residence is called the 'blue house'. 

i'm on a korean kick. 'the uncanny county' 

also, now i want to learn korean. 

before it was japanese, 

then mandarin.

that's a laugh. it's been a week and half since i studied my spanish. 

but i digress.  so much high school violence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

also, i didn't know this, but their presidential residence is called the 'blue house'. 

before it was japanese, 

then mandarin.

Bullying exists in all facets of life, sadly. I was taught to stand up to bullies and defend myself. Eventually, they backed down because they learned that I fight back. I may not have won many fights I had been forced to get into but I sure did have them walk away with some bruises and maybe even a broken rib or two.

Edited by Gemini
Don't feel sad. I even became friends with a couple of them afterward so it all worked out.
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Bullying exists in all facets of life, sadly. I was taught to stand up to bullies and defend myself. Eventually, they backed down because they learned that I fight back. I may not have won many fights I had been forced to get into but I sure did have them walk away with some bruises and maybe even a broken rib or two.

i mean. no one likes to go through it. and i'm sorry you did. 

i was just making commentary that almost all the shows i've watched have had some sort of high school bully thing going on. 

it makes for great t.v. seeing the underdog rise up to the challenge. 

4 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

i was just making commentary that almost all the shows i've watched have had some sort of high school bully thing going on. 

They put it in their shows because it's something most people can relate to so it keeps viewers engaged and improves ratings. If viewers can't relate to the characters they won't tune in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

I know. I'm sorry for going off on a rant like that. I should've ended it with "parents: Teach your kid to defend themselves against bullies."

And yeah, the underdog story is a story as old as time. It makes for compelling storyetelling. So I get it. Again, I just got triggered and went off on a rant and kinda derailed your thread as a result...again. So I apologize.

Edited by Gemini

5 hours ago, discolé monade said:

before it was japanese, 

then mandarin.

I think the last Korean thing I watched was ...god, now I can't remember the name...it was a big deal a couple years ago. It hat the pink hoodie dudes.

Anyway, I know I've seen other Korean shows but I don't think they were more k-horrors, and I don't recall most of them....

I'm already getting sidetracked....my point being I do that same shit....I want to learn a new language....then I say "they say English is the hardest shit to learn and I've already done that...plus my phone translates shit now...fuck that"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Greeny said:

They put it in their shows because it's something most people can relate to so it keeps viewers engaged and improves ratings. If viewers can't relate to the characters they won't tune in.

oh yeah, i get that. but, honestly k'drama (horror, dramedy, etc for some reason fall under that catagory) REALLY uses that scenerio in a lot of work they do. 

i don't care. it does make for good story. and i love the houses all along the hills. 

someone go with me to s. korea. 

49 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

oh yeah, i get that. but, honestly k'drama (horror, dramedy, etc for some reason fall under that catagory) REALLY uses that scenerio in a lot of work they do. 

i don't care. it does make for good story. and i love the houses all along the hills. 

someone go with me to s. korea. 

I'll go but I'm not coming back.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, discolé monade said:

before it was japanese, 

then mandarin.

I know some are really that bad, especially the rich kids' schools. Some rich/influential parents give zero fucks about their kids and don't want to admit that mental health issues exist, so their kids end up being demons terrorizing other students. If the teachers say anything, those parents get super pissed off, and the school's administration reprimands the teacher. SK also has strict slander laws, so documenting abuse can get you jacked up legally.

Teachers in those working abroad programs have really interesting stories about this and will give advice on how to avoid ending up at those schools.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

I know some are really that bad, especially the rich kids' schools. Some rich/influential parents give zero fucks about their kids and don't want to admit that mental health issues exist, so their kids end up being demons terrorizing other students. If the teachers say anything, those parents get super pissed off, and the school's administration reprimands the teacher. SK also has strict slander laws, so documenting abuse can get you jacked up legally.

Teachers in those working abroad programs have really interesting stories about this and will give advice on how to avoid ending up at those schools.

if i had looked earlier before posting this, i would have found the article above your post. 

i had to wonder, becuase it seems exactly that way  you described. teachers not allowed to discipline, entitled rich parents, and lack of empathy for mental illness. 

all i'm saying though. "glory' was glorious in that aspect, and this was based on some truth (the bullying part)

• Like 1

if i had looked earlier before posting this, i would have found the article above your post. 

i had to wonder, becuase it seems exactly that way  you described. teachers not allowed to discipline, entitled rich parents, and lack of empathy for mental illness. 

all i'm saying though. "glory' was glorious in that aspect, and this was based on some truth (the bullying part)

I considered going back to school and getting a degree for a bit, and teaching abroad was something I was thinking of if I did do that. So I did a deep dive, and while most teachers had decent to good experiences, there were horror stories about the private schools where actors and politicians sent their kids. Not trying to read anything depressing, so I quickly skimmed that article looking for the occupation of the parents and was like YUP when I read the father was a prosecutor.

Here's the worst I've seen a black teacher go through(Yes, it's a little past 30 minutes, but it really lets you peek at what the kids in some private schools are like and what teachers deal with. She snuck out some footage too:

• Like 1

damn. so. 23:47 confirmed what i was thinking. 

thank you for the video. how, literally, eye opening, and sad. 

and i'm wondering was her sis there, because she is backing up everything being put down. 

I was wondering if the sister taught too, but I was too shy to ask in the video's comments.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2023 at 9:04 PM, discolé monade said:

before it was japanese, 

then mandarin.

You know in Japanese culture there's a saying the nail that stands out gets the hammer. I wonder if the same thing with South Korean culture there is some cross-pollination over the centuries between those two cultures usually done by invasion but mostly done by the Japanese invasions specifically. 

But being bullied is not a fun thing but it was a normal thing an American culture for decades wow i graduated in 2004 i had a hard time with it when I was in school but only a few years later at most 2009 at the soonest 2006 that bullying became a big issue in American news media and politics with very notable cases. 

But unfortunately you know. Sometimes now other cultures have different standards and we can't judge their standards. Mean to quote my favorite TV show Star Trek infant diversity in infinite combinations. Plus do not interfere other cultures

14 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Holy self absorbed non sequiturs

Lol at cross pollination tho....that's my level of metaphor.

No look I know what it is to be bullied and frankly I think it made me a better man sometimes people are assholes You just have to deal with it Unfortunately other cultures have a bigger problem with it as a cultural norm than others the West specifically the USA has always been anti-bulliying in large part ( at least in my living memory and yes there is exceptions to the world because some parents cheat their kids differently)  but who am I to judge another culture. I mean if you're just doing this to saying I'm self-absorbed Look I was bullied Okay I don't like that fact but it happened.  Yes hard for me to admit that other cultures  specifically other democracies to have this as a cultural normBut unfortunately it's a fact of life and does like bullying in real life or cyberspace It's just a fact of life. I don't expect my fellow humans child or adult to act morally That was thrown out of the window years and years ago with me. So it doesn't shock me that other cultures have that issue

36 minutes ago, ghostrek said:

You know in Japanese culture there's a saying the nail that stands out gets the hammer. I wonder if the same thing with South Korean culture there is some cross-pollination over the centuries between those two cultures usually done by invasion but mostly done by the Japanese invasions specifically. 

But being bullied is not a fun thing but it was a normal thing an American culture for decades wow i graduated in 2004 i had a hard time with it when I was in school but only a few years later at most 2009 at the soonest 2006 that bullying became a big issue in American news media and politics with very notable cases. 

But unfortunately you know. Sometimes now other cultures have different standards and we can't judge their standards. Mean to quote my favorite TV show Star Trek infant diversity in infinite combinations. Plus do not interfere other cultures

ok

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ghostrek said:

Thank you for the educational tidbits, Ghostrek.

This is why I always tell my respectable peers (besides you, of course) that I have some faith placed onto Ghostrek’s inner plan.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Thank you for the educational tidbits, Ghostrek.

This is why I always tell my respectable peers (besides you, of course) that I have some faith placed onto Ghostrek’s inner plan.

you know you're trying to hard. Look I'm not a great man of history I'm just a man

• Haha 2