UnevenEdge

BREAKING NEWS: Lineups for 8/19, 8/26, 9/2 announced; FLCL Progressive and Alternative marathons; Toonami expands incoherently...

Click for deets:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid05MN2beoS1pWwK3LVPc3jJv4TsHc3UWMmGq44EbSNZbmKvJ6BGjwZzxJyqxyEeY3ol&id=100066529306554&mibextid=CDWPTG

For those who don't have the Book of Faces, here are pics.

FB_IMG_1691166882901.jpg

Toonami ends on 8/19 at 3:15 AM

FB_IMG_1691166890023.jpg

Toonami ends on 8/26 at 4 AM

FB_IMG_1691166896174.jpgToonami ends on 9/2 at 3:30 AM

Expansion, but incoherent. Interesting that they're not making it permanent to 4 AM and slotting MHA at 3:30 on 9/2...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah nuts, you beat me to it.

I thought Zaslav might've partially written off those rights, meaning they couldn't air on TV but streaming was safe, but this suggests otherwise. What gives? Maybe they have to pay extra for these, but if that were the case, they wouldn't be doing these marathons. Let's see what wild theorycrfafting everyone else can come up with.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Well, that’s not how I expected them to cover these weeks, but it works. This is the first time since 2018 that either of these have aired, and if we have to see them again, I think most people will appreciate them bundled in two easy to skip nights. 

I wouldn’t hold your breath on any permanent expansion, they are just doing it to fit these in, but also not screw over Dr Stone watchers, and as usual with a Thursday show, those can’t stop for anything so Superman marches on. Once 9/9 drops we will be back to 6 slots. On that, here’s how 9/9 currently looks.

12 - empty

12:30 - empty 

1 - empty 

1:30 - One Piece

2 - Naruto

2:30 - MHA

Of course, we know Grunge takes one of those slots, but 9/9 still remains a monumental shift for the block. And just to account for it, that OP on 8/19? That’s the last episode of the Punk Hazard bundle of episodes. 

I suppose the question to ask now is how long will they make us wait for the actual show reveals? They have effectively bought themselves yet another month of stalling, they could easily get away without revealing anything till the first days of September. Remember back in April when they claimed to be so close to announcing a show?

• Like 1

Maybe we can get that AOT special after the Grunge premiere on 9/9, then Batman Day on 9/16 following Ep. 2 of Grunge? That would buy them until 9/23 to roll out another show and the Dressrosa arc of One Piece.

Will Dr. Stone S3 Part 1 even get a rerun? Season 1 got a Marathon instead but Season 2 did. If Toonami can take over 11 slots on Thanksgiving Weekend it might be better to do it that way but that has Grunge Marathon written all over it. Or maybe Halloween weekend does if we're not getting Uzumaki yet?

Alternatively, I guess they could start running Dr. Stone reruns in November, then blow them off with a marathon of the last 8 episodes on November 25th leading-in to the 2nd Cour premiere on December 2nd?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Should I be surprised DeMarco kept the FLCL sequels around?  They’re still considered terrible but I guess he wants to prep the audience for the next chapter in this pointless saga.

What’s more surprising is that Demarco kept them around and somehow resisted the temptation to beat the reruns to death for 5 full years. He didn’t even beat them a little bit. 

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Maybe we can get that AOT special after the Grunge premiere on 9/9, then Batman Day on 9/16 following Ep. 2 of Grunge? That would buy them until 9/23 to roll out another show and the Dressrosa arc of One Piece.

Will Dr. Stone S3 Part 1 even get a rerun? Season 1 got a Marathon instead but Season 2 did. If Toonami can take over 11 slots on Thanksgiving Weekend it might be better to do it that way but that has Grunge Marathon written all over it. Or maybe Halloween weekend does if we're not getting Uzumaki yet?

Alternatively, I guess they could start running Dr. Stone reruns in November, then blow them off with a marathon of the last 8 episodes on November 25th leading-in to the 2nd Cour premiere on December 2nd?

Putting the normal schedule on ice that long doesn’t sound like the best idea. In that scenario at least half of Grunge airs on odd schedules which would be sure to harm its performance even further than it’s atrocious appearance will. With how long they have waited on AoT, I’d much rather see them either air both in one night, or air them back to back between two weeks later in the year. 

As for Dr Stone reruns, does it NEED a rerun? Most of the Toonami audience is one and done and isn’t interested in reruns. If the 9/9 schedule dropped with the MHA rerun removed I doubt anyone would care. Plus, with the odds of 2 new shows being super slim anyway, I could see something like this.

12 - Grunge

12:30 - New acquired show

1 - One Piece

1:30 - Naruto

2 - Dr Stone rerun

2:30 - MHA rerun

Of course, followed up by empty promises of 2024 not sucking as hard which of course, they will not deliver on.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

They’ve had Alt and Prog this whole time and didn’t use either to fill a void in 2020 or 2022? Okay then.

I was fully expecting a marathon on Labor Day weekend but not the weekend prior. Leave it to Toonami to nuke the rest of the night just because they had one slot to fill that night. I am interested in rewatching both Prog and Alt but I probably won’t watch these marathons live.

It’s not a given Dr. Stone will rerun but a rerun of some or all 11 episodes is the easiest way to keep a spot warm for the 2nd half of the season which can probably start airing in December.

They really ought to have a new acquisition in September but chances of there being two are slim to none. Unless they double up One Piece in September a rerun of Dr. Stone seems very likely. I just hope they don’t stick it at 1am just to avoid moving One Piece and Shippuden.

• Like 2

I think I speak for many when I say that the constant stalling, hoping for a new show and then not getting a new show is getting a little old. We keep trying to rationalize it and be positive but You can only blame CR so much. 

it appears to me that they are intentionally backing off acquisitions and prioritizing originals. But, what they have in the works isn’t coming any time soon and won’t be able to fill a 3 hour block 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1