UnevenEdge

Which [as] Action Screw-Up Was the Biggest in Your Opinion?

Which [as] Action Screw-Up Was the Biggest in Your Opinion?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which programming error pertaining to Toonami/[adult swim]'s action offerings was, in your opinion, the biggest they've made?

• The Big Occident (The Big O episode 20 aired in place of episode 26, 10/26/2003)
    • Eureka Severed (Eureka seveN episode 50 aired with cold open and epilogue cut, 4/28/2007)
    • Sword Art Offline (SAO Alicization episode 6 froze mid-broadcast and failed to resume, 3/16/2019)
    • Where's My Goddamn Harley Quinn Finale, Toonami!? (Harley Quinn episode 4 aired in place of episode 13, 8/7/2021)
    • The Trouble with Triple-Ups (Yashahime episode 21 aired in place of episode 24, 12/11/2021)
    • We 10 Billion Percent Missed One (Dr. Stone: New World episode 7 aired in place of episode 6, 7/15/2023)

The only one here that was genuinely no one’s fault and completely unpredictable was the SAO glitch. My vote is still for it though. It froze, abruptly cut to commercial, then came back still frozen. Then Megalo Box came on. None of the others caused so much chaos. 

The SAO one was also the only one that no matter what kind of viewer you are, you knew something was wrong. I sat through that entire episode of Dr Stone last night, completely oblivious that we skipped an episode just because the pacing of this season has been so shoddy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Big O, easy.  Remember this was during a big livestream of a Halloween party, and it was clear they didn’t care, the livestream was completely dismissive of it, and helped cement that “we control the anime but we hate it, fuck you” rep DeMarco and friends are still dealing with.

• Haha 1

I went with Harley Quinn because it's the only one they made with no plan whatsoever to rectify...

Come ON, [as] Toonami, air My Adventures With Superman and HQ's Season 1 finales in the same night back-to-back, I TRIPLE-DAWG DARE YA!!

...and the only reason I say this is possible is we don't know when exactly MAWS S1 is gonna end. It has 10 episodes, we DO know that, but have we seen 2 or 3? Some guides are calling last week's airing Episode 2. If that's the case, then MAWS will continue into early September easily. If Toonami needs filler, they could do worse than to finally air that missed episode of HQ, perhaps even to continue with Seasons 2-4 after that!

We've got nearly uncensored TV-14 movies airing during ACME Night; come on, Standards and Practices, give 'em uncensored HQ after midnight!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I went with Harley Quinn because it's the only one they made with no plan whatsoever to rectify...

Come ON, [as] Toonami, air My Adventures With Superman and HQ's Season 1 finales in the same night back-to-back, I TRIPLE-DAWG DARE YA!!

...and the only reason I say this is possible is we don't know when exactly MAWS S1 is gonna end. It has 10 episodes, we DO know that, but have we seen 2 or 3? Some guides are calling last week's airing Episode 2. If that's the case, then MAWS will continue into early September easily. If Toonami needs filler, they could do worse than to finally air that missed episode of HQ, perhaps even to continue with Seasons 2-4 after that!

We've got nearly uncensored TV-14 movies airing during ACME Night; come on, Standards and Practices, give 'em uncensored HQ after midnight!

I don’t think the issue is AS on this matter, it’s that they don’t have the rights to HQ and presumably can’t get them back

12 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I don’t think the issue is AS on this matter, it’s that they don’t have the rights to HQ and presumably can’t get them back

Presumably, but assuming they couldn't get anything else, they MIGHT get the later seasons, which have never aired on TV before, not even during TNT's short-lived HBOMax crossover block, whatever the hell it's called.

Went with The Big Occident, mostly because it has a sweet name I didn't hear until recently. I do agree with Al about Harley Quinn, but at the same time, that show was aired as a one-off marathon I doubt [as] put much thought in. If they had, they might've reached to finish it.

Edited by Blatch
Slightly better wording.
  • Like 1

Harley Quinn. 

All the others were annoying as hell but fixable by waiting a week. They weren't able to fix Harley which was honestly stupid because it was on Max anyway. 

It should have been repeated. For that matter, the series could easily fit in the old Food Wars spot. If you can have people losing their literal underpants over spicy noodles, you can have Harley Quinn swearing. 

• Thanks 1

It’s Big O. Consider the optics. Adult Swim managed to co-produce a second season of (at least at the time) a well regarded and respected series and unlike with FLCL a decent amount of the fans did want more and were thrilled to get it. It’s even on Sunday night because AS wants as many eyeballs on it as it can get. That level of importance and anticipation and on the premiere run they messed up and aired the wrong episode.

That definitely got more notice than any of those other instances. The SAO glitch is arguably the most intriguing flub up and Harley is the one time they didn’t make it up to us but neither got the level of response The Big O incident did. And on top of that it was in the era when AS trolled anime fans regularly so instead of just apologizing and rescheduling the episode they made even more of a spectacle out of it. Nothing like that has occurred in the Toonami era of AS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Presumably, but assuming they couldn't get anything else, they MIGHT get the later seasons, which have never aired on TV before, not even during TNT's short-lived HBOMax crossover block, whatever the hell it's called.

I guess the question to ask is does DC want to give it up? Superman finally got us over the hurdle of not having any shows, only movies, buts it’s also not “our” show, we just share it with AS. I don’t feel like AS would have an issue having it in their arsenal for reruns.