UnevenEdge

Inflation returning to normal levels

Icarus27k

• 2 weeks later...

except you posted the inflation rate not the CPI. CPI is the prices. Inflation rate is the change in prices. They always talk about the rate because they want you to feel like bringing down the rate (disinflation) is bringing down prices (deflation), but it's not. They don't like to show the CPI charts because they're depressing because they increase perpetually because they like inflation because it's good for the economy because it makes you spend your money else it becomes worth less later. Worth less, not worthless, but nevermind that, let's take a look at CPI in multiple timescales for maximum depression.

united-states-consumer-price-index-cpi-1

united-states-consumer-price-index-cpi-5

united-states-consumer-price-index-cpi-1

united-states-consumer-price-index-cpi-2

united-states-consumer-price-index-cpi-m

• Thanks 2

Yeah, I'm not hopeful at all. My mother went to Japan last year and fifteen US dollar there gets you a feast. Fifteen dollars here now gets you a combo at McDonalds. Yeah, an island country that needs to import everything and had been notoriously expensive for decades is now cheaper than a huge resource-rich country. 🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Insipid said:

Yeah, I'm not hopeful at all. My mother went to Japan last year and fifteen US dollar there gets you a feast. Fifteen dollars here now gets you a combo at McDonalds. Yeah, an island country that needs to import everything and had been notoriously expensive for decades is now cheaper than a huge resource-rich country. 🙄

It's because we've been broke for awhile and, under modern monetary theory, the only consequence to being broke is social unrest. Prices are now getting close to where people are being like WTF, and so, they are finally trying to cut back via monetary policy/interest rates. But what if we have another unavoidable crisis or war that requires more spending? The money will come from further inflation of prices. We are tolerating $15 McD's combos but will we tolerate $30 Mcd's combos? How will that affect people's psychology and social unrest? Our enemies know this. They will take advantage of it, if they can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Insipid said:

The fuck kind of combo are you buying?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Ikr, might be his region but a bigmac meal is $8.49 here.  There's a family bundle that's like $12.99....i only know because my daughter eats it....I always forget where Benji is from...Portland maybe,..I have no clue really.

I just can't with McDonald's....I used to still get apple pies when I went for her but they've turned them into heated fig newtons or some shit and I can't deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

It's 10 dollars in my area for a Big Mac combo, so sue me. It's even more expensive than 15 dollars in some parts of the country.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mcdonalds-prices-big-mac-sparks-expensive-menu-darien-connecticut-debate-online/

And here's the price in Tokyo:

https://www.expatistan.com/price/big-mac/tokyo

I been to that Darrien CT rest stop on my way to MA. My boyfriend kept the receipt from, I think a Dunkin Donuts, a med coffee and a medium iced coffee was like $14 it was such a ridiculous amount he kept the fuckin receipt but now I think he lost it after showing his sister cuz I asked to take a pic of it. They really fuck you greaseless at that rest stop 😆

• Like 3

12 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Ikr, might be his region but a bigmac meal is $8.49 here.  There's a family bundle that's like $12.99....i only know because my daughter eats it....I always forget where Benji is from...Portland maybe,..I have no clue really.

I just can't with McDonald's....I used to still get apple pies when I went for her but they've turned them into heated fig newtons or some shit and I can't deal.

And the pie filling is always dried out now. Blegh.

On 8/4/2023 at 9:12 AM, Icarus27k said:

My interpretation is that the economic stimulus laws passed during the pandemic has irreversibly changed the economy for the better.  Which is why we have historically low unemployment and still plenty of job openings at the same time. 

I'm far less optimistic about that...I feel like it's because content creator and influencer are jobs now and that's why unemployment is down but stores barely have employees. 

But your analysis definitely paints a much less bleak pic.

Edited by André Toulon