UnevenEdge

working on a novel that mix King Arthur and world war 2

ghostrek

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

You do know that none of Arthurian Legend suggests Arthur ever fought an invasion, and most historic figures likely to be the inspiration for Arthur were local warlords.

According to Legend King Arthur will return

that why is he called the once and future king 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur's_messianic_return#:~:text=King Arthur's messianic return is,legendary 6th-century British king.

@scoobdog  how about that

17 minutes ago, ghostrek said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur's_messianic_return#:~:text=King Arthur's messianic return is,legendary 6th-century British king.

I remember reading once that there was a theory Prince William (the current Prince of Wales) was the reincarnation/messianic return of King Arthur. I don't think it's true, but I don't know enough about British history to really have an informed opinion on it.

29 minutes ago, Gemini said:

I remember reading once that there was a theory Prince William (the current Prince of Wales) was the reincarnation/messianic return of King Arthur. I don't think it's true, but I don't know enough about British history to really have an informed opinion on it.

really lol that difrent 

normaly hear about theme lirzard people or the anit-christ

11 hours ago, ghostrek said:

The problem is more that Arthur is emblematic of idealized chivalric European society.  While similar legends from the early pre-Medieval period built up cults of personality around "uniter" kings, King Arthur is more a creation of the High Middle Ages leading into the early Renaissance.  He's less a warlord and more a (as you say) reincarnation of Jesus, and that makes him ill suited as a foil for the barbarism of the Nazis.

4 hours ago, scoobdog said:

The problem is more that Arthur is emblematic of idealized chivalric European society.  While similar legends from the early pre-Medieval period built up cults of personality around "uniter" kings, King Arthur is more a creation of the High Middle Ages leading into the early Renaissance.  He's less a warlord and more a (as you say) reincarnation of Jesus, and that makes him ill suited as a foil for the barbarism of the Nazis.

i disagree with that one jesus and arthur are two difrent people  the lengend  

the most famour king arthur story is for holy grail   yes i understand interpuetation  from a christan stand ponit what the grail is

that ponit i choice  arthurian Legend to based the story one it the ideals the  chivalric ideal of fair play doesn't exist anymore and I see a lot of people try to backstab each other for minimum-wage jobs I have standards and was raised to not do that shit and I got victimized because of that

And the Nazis especially in the higher echelons of the third  reich 

Had enough in fighting for 10 seasons of reality TV or really fucked up  and evil version of Game of Thrones

I mean his nephew is also his bastard son he stepped up his own sister making Arthur is not a saint and he Camelot  fell due to internal faults of the leadership of Arthur more or less and caused him to fight his nephew Mordred\

@scoobdog

Edited by ghostrek

Arthur is almost explicitly meant to parallel the life of Jesus, including the fact he's "miraculously" created, his 12 knights of the round table (only some of the narratives), the denial of his most trusted disciple (Lancelot), his death by betrayal, and his "assumption" to the island of Avalon.  It's not an exact parallel; Arthur isn't meant to be an alternate Christ.  More likely, he's actually meant to be a bridge between local pagan traditions and the Roman Catholicism.

Messianic figures rarely appear in war narratives because religions classify such deities as creators as opposed to destroyers.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Arthur is almost explicitly meant to parallel the life of Jesus, including the fact he's "miraculously" created, his 12 knights of the round table (only some of the narratives), the denial of his most trusted disciple (Lancelot), his death by betrayal, and his "assumption" to the island of Avalon.  It's not an exact parallel; Arthur isn't meant to be an alternate Christ.  More likely, he's actually meant to be a bridge between local pagan traditions and the Roman Catholicism.

Messianic figures rarely appear in war narratives because religions classify such deities as creators as opposed to destroyers.

ok i see you ponit but one thing  but christain naretive is about good Vs evil 

and playing around with lengend 

i am not going to do 100% retailing of lengend  set in world war  but the return of of once and futrue king  during world war  (in my opinon) when evil tried  spread it black hreat to the whole world 

@scoobdog

by the way if do belive in crist when he ruturns  he will defaet the ultiament evil 

Edited by ghostrek

Good Vs Evil is an oversimplification of the Christian mythology.  Jesus isn't necessarily fighting the devil in the same way a crusader would be fighting heathens in the Holy Land.  He spends far more time fighting is fellow Jews on issues of religious edict and intent.  The liklihood is that Jesus would have died at the hands of the Nazis instead of the Romans if the times were transposed, and the Nazis themselves would have similarly been placeholders for the true enemy of Christianity.

I'm really just pointing out that you have a heck of a lift if you want to make King Arthur a savior of WWII Europe.  It's obviously not impossible, but it far more complex than the premise allows.

53 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Good Vs Evil is an oversimplification of the Christian mythology.  Jesus isn't necessarily fighting the devil in the same way a crusader would be fighting heathens in the Holy Land.  He spends far more time fighting is fellow Jews on issues of religious edict and intent.  The liklihood is that Jesus would have died at the hands of the Nazis instead of the Romans if the times were transposed, and the Nazis themselves would have similarly been placeholders for the true enemy of Christianity.

I'm really just pointing out that you have a heck of a lift if you want to make King Arthur a savior of WWII Europe.  It's obviously not impossible, but it far more complex than the premise allows.

well scooob you're coming from a Christian mythology Point point of view i'm viewing it as "british" English speaking / French speaking mythology with a lot of nationalist bent which has been interpreted by both of those countries before by the way Lancelot is all free often interpreted as French 

I'm aware of the religious undertones for a lot of  (modern) interpretations the character of Merlin was interpreted as Pagan or if not druid religious Origins albeit yes he got baptized and in some versions so he dose become not the Antichrist 

By the way spoilers for my novel, Merlin is going to become Sir Merlin and became a devout Christian  over to centuries and naval officer

And the origins of the are foreign Legend is Welch/ Celtic of all things, not English 
So this is Christian which is high Middle Ages makes sense because you know High Middle Ages and Renaissance if anything ain't Christian you getting burned at the  steak 

And other characters of the new Knights of the New Round Table 
Other Mythic Origins I'm debating having a certain descendant of a certain thief that Rob them to Rich gave to poor  as a SAS special operator or straight-up commando 
And the other night n a son of a famous British private detective of the late 1800s and a female American thief  as an American FBI agent turned Army counterintelligence ? intelligence officer 

not to mention the two protagonist characters of the story are from our reality who is  a military history buff of  World War II variety and the other one is a science fiction fan specifically a Star Trek fan so am I playing fast and loose with the Arthurian Canon 

Plus there's an American female doctor from our reality sent to the one that is set for the novel 

One thing you're presuming is that I am a Catholic-type Christian  Or Anglican
no I was raised an Evangelical protestant and became anostic
@scoobdog

Edited by ghostrek

On 7/3/2023 at 9:56 PM, ghostrek said:

inresting ildea 

it more complex it the world war 2 that we know but diffrent one with totaly difrrent history that causes the conflict

Who told you about my novel?

8 hours ago, ghostrek said:

how about what i siad about nationsl myth @scoobdog

Not sure what you're referring to here.  Geoffrey of Monmouth recounts him as being a pivotal hero in the defense of the native Breton people from the invading Anglo Saxon (viking) hordes.  In that respect, he would be an appropriate parallel fighter in WWII since the Anglo Saxons were germanic invaders.  But that version of Arthur is distinctly Roman in nature.

On 7/6/2023 at 1:03 AM, ghostrek said:

Lots of legends on those isles.  If the ravens ever leave the Tower grounds, the Crown & England will fall (they've clipped their wings, so they can't).  If England is ever in danger, someone should beat Drake's Drum and he will return to defend her.  Before the Antichrist can control it, Ireland will sink beneath the waves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tsar4 said:

Lots of legends on those isles.  If the ravens ever leave the Tower grounds, the Crown & England will fall (they've clipped their wings, so they can't).  If England is ever in danger, someone should beat Drake's Drum and he will return to defend her.  Before the Antichrist can control it, Ireland will sink beneath the waves.

ok ?