UnevenEdge

7/15 Toonami Update: FLCL Reruns added

“Who wants FLCL?”

IMG_3566.gif

“Well you’re getting FLCL!  I am the arbiter of all that is good in animation!”

FLCL debuted on Adult Swim on August 5, 2003.  Yes, this is a 20th anniversary showing, bought to you by DeMarco REALLY not being able to let go of the past.  Which even that would be fine if they didn’t keep trotting out its rotted corpse for sequels that no one wants.

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 3

So SIX more weeks before any new content, which they have now telegraphed extremely hard will be the new FLCL. So as feared, they are going to continue stalling to have things to announce at the festival. 

They have been promising they have new shows since APRIL. Demarco needs to be called out on this. Because at this point it’s just straight up lying to keep people tuning in without actually having content. 

If this doesn’t convince people that Progressive and Alternative aren’t rerun options anymore, I don’t know what will. The only other explanation is they know both of them are abortions and don’t want to preemptively taint the runs of the new seasons by reminding people how bad the previous new seasons were. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

I love FLCL but this friggin sucks.

Just move up One Piece so I can go to sleep by 10:30 PST for my 7:30am 10 hour work shift. I’m going to bed after Dr. Stone, sorry One Piece.

The one positive is it’s not Food Wars Fifth Plate, Unicorn or Primal season 2 again but Summer has been largely a waste and it doesn’t look to be improving before September.

Can they TRY not to look like they can nothing about this extended lull period? I’m so tired in so many ways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

I love FLCL but this friggin sucks.

Just move up One Piece so I can go to sleep by 10:30 PST for my 7:30am 10 hour work shift. I’m going to bed after Dr. Stone, sorry One Piece.

The one positive is it’s not Food Wars Fifth Plate, Unicorn or Primal season 2 again but Summer has been largely a waste and it doesn’t look to be improving before September.

Can they TRY not to look like they can nothing about this extended lull period? I’m so tired in so many ways.

I Really wonder what's giving them so much trouble

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I Really wonder what's giving them so much trouble

It’s rather obvious, production issues for FLCL. They never said the show tied up in Japan was an acquisition, and we have never seen an acquired show get tied up on the Japanese side anyway. And this schedule drives home that the wait has always been for FLCL. The better question to ask is why did they seem to think they could get it started back around mid May? There’s a pretty big gap between May (even earlier really) and early September. We could have aired an entire 12 episode anime in that time. 

The IG panel on Sunday will probably just be for Uzumaki since it’s been on ice for so long. FLCL will get its big debut and release date teaser later in July at the AS festival. 

They have left themselves in a bit of a schedule pickle though. Because unless it doubles up, FLCL can’t air a full season before October. They may end up just sucking it up and having a week or two of overlap. Then the second season of FLCL gets us from November to mid December. 

The door for some acquired content isn’t completely closed yet. For certain, Dr Stone will be out in August, and Superman will follow not far behind. Obviously FLCL and Uzumaki will take midnight, but that slot is still open at 1a. Then there is the One Piece wildcard for September if Dressrosa isn’t happening, but I have a bad feeling it will be. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 2:38 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

They have been promising they have new shows since APRIL. Demarco needs to be called out on this. Because at this point it’s just straight up lying to keep people tuning in without actually having content. 

Didn't we just get Dr Stone? 

It's kind of lame that we're getting a rerun plunked in the middle, but it's pretty obviously a warm-up for one of those new projects, whatever they wind up being.

Plus...it's FLCL. I've seen it easily over two dozen times, I can quote almost every line, and I'll be there again quoting every line along with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

Didn't we just get Dr Stone? 

We did. And then Demarco went to twitter and told everyone that the show he was talking about wasnt Dr Stone. Then after that we had another schedule update claiming they will still working on the show. 

Should they have lied and just said Dr Stone was the show they were waiting on? I think so, that would have at least deflated expectations for people for a bit. 

3 hours ago, Top Gun said:

It's kind of lame that we're getting a rerun plunked in the middle, but it's pretty obviously a warm-up for one of those new projects, whatever they wind up being.

I wish it was at 12:30. It’s always super annoying having to tune in, tune out, then tune back in. It’s barely worth it, but skipping the first hour, and just dropping by for 90 mins would have at least been tolerable. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

"The good news is it doesn't HAVE to run for 6 episodes in prime Toonami territory--they can always just move it to Checkered Past"

...is what I WOULD say if it wasn't coming until August 29th! DAMMIT!!!

They aren’t airing FLCL and it’s fanservice at 6pm my dude

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

They aren’t airing FLCL and it’s fanservice at 6pm my dude

Not 6, 7:30.

But about this, it does strike me as interesting that Dr. Stone and FLCL will run out of episodes at about the same time. They run side-by-side July 15, 22, 29 and August 5, 12, and 19.

Maybe we'll FINALLY get the AOT special on August 26th?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

But about this, it does strike me as interesting that Dr. Stone and FLCL will run out of episodes at about the same time. They run side-by-side July 15, 22, 29 and August 5, 12, and 19.

Just throwing it out there, that’s also roughly the time Punk Hazard runs out of episodes too. 

I don’t think AoT is something they would wait for a convenient time for though. When they can air it, they would clear the schedule to get it done. One of two things is happening, something behind the scenes is preventing its release (we know at minimum the dub was worked on, so it’s not that it’s dub is untouched), so either a dispute between CR and Toonami about who is entitled to the first run, or maybe they have to wait till part 2 for some reason. Or second option, Toonami is being unbelievably petty with their last leverage over Crunchyroll and just sitting on it for shits, knowing their contract allows them to do so. I highly doubt it, but it’s funny to think about. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Let me rephrase that. They’re not airing FLCL classic before 9 or 10. Alternative and Progressive could though, if that’s what you mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Just throwing it out there, that’s also roughly the time Punk Hazard runs out of episodes too. 

I don’t think AoT is something they would wait for a convenient time for though. When they can air it, they would clear the schedule to get it done. One of two things is happening, something behind the scenes is preventing its release (we know at minimum the dub was worked on, so it’s not that it’s dub is untouched), so either a dispute between CR and Toonami about who is entitled to the first run, or maybe they have to wait till part 2 for some reason. Or second option, Toonami is being unbelievably petty with their last leverage over Crunchyroll and just sitting on it for shits, knowing their contract allows them to do so. I highly doubt it, but it’s funny to think about. 

Really?

Sony should rot.

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Let me rephrase that. They’re not airing FLCL classic before 9 or 10. Alternative and Progressive could though, if that’s what you mean.

Why not? It’s pretty tame all things considered, especially since it’s an OVA. With AS gaining more time, I could see it at 8pm. That’s two hours deep into the night, and I think the most notable piece of fanservice is Haruko’s ass in the towel. Everything else is just implications, like when Ninamori loses her pants. 

I mean, I doubt they would, just cause they want to keep all the anime contained on Toonami, but I don’t think it’s impossible. 

11 hours ago, Sketch said:

You're probably right. Though they could get away with almost everything but the baseball episode. That one's riskily risqué.

21 hours ago, Sketch said:

Progressive cannot air before 9 pm, episode 6 is rated TV-MA-L.

5 hours ago, korosu said:

Progressive cannot air before 9 pm, episode 6 is rated TV-MA-L.

That’s just one of their internal rules, there is nothing legally stopping them from doing that. And with AS expanding, we may see them extend out where they are willing to put MA content 

On 7/7/2023 at 1:00 AM, Toonamiguy321 said:

That’s just one of their internal rules, there is nothing legally stopping them from doing that. And with AS expanding, we may see them extend out where they are willing to put MA content 

Yes Mitty, it's a rule of theirs.