UnevenEdge

I don’t know why Linkin Park, NIN and others didn’t interest me

Lemming

Back in the day. They were too extreme. I would become horribly introspective. It kept bugging me until about 2006, when Trent Reznor made an album called year zero. Oh yeah and I guess the few years inbetween I was on an extended med binge. Yeah I’m med, so what big deal, wanna fight about it?

1 hour ago, Lemming said:

Back in the day. They were too extreme. I would become horribly introspective. It kept bugging me until about 2006, when Trent Reznor made an album called year zero. Oh yeah and I guess the few years inbetween I was on an extended med binge. Yeah I’m med, so what big deal, wanna fight about it?

Linkin Park was meh IMO, I liked them when I was like 14 and then quickly stopped. 

Nine Inch Nails, on the other hand, I loved. Just about everything that Trent did up until around 2008-2010 was perfect. And then after he got married it started to fizzle out IMO.

The Fragile is an amazing album and is perfect from beginning to end. Year Zero, and of course even The Downward Spiral are as well. The thing I love the most about Nails is the fact that every album is so different from the last.

Edited by atomicinumatt

I hated pretty much all nu-metal.....

As for NIN, my exposure to industrial music is very limited, other than NIN biggest hits, probably just a Ministry song or two.... but it doesn't seem to be a genre for me.

BTW, did NIN ever release a remix of Closer? I heard it on the radio maybe a month ago and it sounded very different from the way I remembered it..... and I actually enjoyed this new version much more than the old version....

Edited by Doom Metal Alchemist

2 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I hated pretty much all nu-metal.....

As for NIN, my exposure to industrial music is very limited, other than NIN biggest hits, probably just a Ministry song or two.... but it doesn't seem to be a genre for me.

BTW, did NIN ever release a remix of Closer? I heard it on the radio maybe a month ago and it sounded very different from the way I remembered it..... and I actually enjoyed this new version much more than the old version....

How different?

1 hour ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

There were like additional sounds, the drums sounded a little different, I think there might've been some different vocal effects.... Those piano notes at the end had a different sound..... It sounded a lot less "stripped down."

There is, apparently, an "electronic rock band" supergroup called AHZ that seems to have done a remix.  Industrial isn't an obvious muse for electronica but it wouldn't be impossible.

42 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

There is, apparently, an "electronic rock band" supergroup called AHZ that seems to have done a remix.  Industrial isn't an obvious muse for electronica but it wouldn't be impossible.

I looked that up and it wasn't it.....

I believe this was it, but....

There's nothing on this page to indicate it's anything other than the official album version, but it sounds so much different to the radio/video version I've heard a thousand times over the years. Maybe it's different in other genres, but in rock and metal the differences between the radio edit and album versions usually don't go beyond censoring naughty words and cutting down the length. Am I going insane (radio... haha)? Is this the official version? This is a lot different than the radio version, right? Am I just imagining all this?

1 hour ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I looked that up and it wasn't it.....

I believe this was it, but....

There's nothing on this page to indicate it's anything other than the official album version, but it sounds so much different to the radio/video version I've heard a thousand times over the years. Maybe it's different in other genres, but in rock and metal the differences between the radio edit and album versions usually don't go beyond censoring naughty words and cutting down the length. Am I going insane (radio... haha)? Is this the official version? This is a lot different than the radio version, right? Am I just imagining all this?

The Deluxe Edition, a tenth anniversary re-release, does include a bonus disc with some internal remixes / B-sides.  Like most of these "deluxe" commemorative editions, It incudes the typical ancillary versions that would have been part of the original creative process - things like alternate edits and experimental riffs.  It's been out for about 12 years, though, so not sure why you haven't heard it.

Another thing about NIN is that Trent's songs have been out for so long and disseminated so often that how we recall the original music changes.  Even after listening to "Closer" hundreds of times, I still misremember the arrangement and hear for the first time elements that were always there.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

The Deluxe Edition, a tenth anniversary re-release, does include a bonus disc with some internal remixes / B-sides.  Like most of these "deluxe" commemorative editions, It incudes the typical ancillary versions that would have been part of the original creative process - things like alternate edits and experimental riffs.  It's been out for about 12 years, though, so not sure why you haven't heard it.

Another thing about NIN is that Trent's songs have been out for so long and disseminated so often that how we recall the original music changes.  Even after listening to "Closer" hundreds of times, I still misremember the arrangement and hear for the first time elements that were always there.

Ever since I was a teenager all I've listened to are CDs I buy, classic rock radio and just exploring what ever metal or classic heavy rock I find on the Internet. It took a bit of time for NIN to become old enough to be considered "classic rock." I've never been into Pandora or Spotify playlists, or what have you. I actually stopped listening to the radio altogether a few years ago, instead electing to listen to music from my phone while driving. The night on the way home I heard the Closer remix my phone died so I listened to the radio, lol.

15 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Something irks me about Linkin Park being put next to NIN, but maybe I'm overeacting. Also without chester bennington, and with contemporary Mike Shonata...

MEhhh. Wish I could say I still like the jams, but IDK. 

I still like a few NIN songs, but LP is a pretty hard no….except for a few songs.

Just now, The_annoying_one said:

I still like a few NIN songs, but LP is a pretty hard no….except for a few songs.

I've never been a fan of NIN. I get they've whethered the ages kind of but nothing ever stood out on my radar. LP had their reign I think however it's just hard for me to compare their genre and end sound to NIN's to begin with. LP without Chester is sad to pretty much eveyone that ever was a big fan of LP so I don't actively jam them anymore unless a track/rework/remix pops on a radio station and hits me some type of way..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 6:38 PM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

night on the way home I heard the Closer remix my phone died so I listened to the radio, lol.

You should do this more often! I found so many great obscure songs just by listening to the radio and heard weird covers and alternate versions and remixes of songs I like. Gotta find the good radio stations which can be hard, but any college or high school run radio station is usually good if there are no local independents. Keep Shazam on hand or even in passive listening mode if that doesn't weird you out. 

This one I heard on the radio ten years ago and was like wtf is this bc I love Daniel Johnston but to this day this isn't available on Spotify or anywhere but YouTube afaik. And if you try to search for it all you get are results for his other song Casper The Friendly Ghost which sucks 

Another one that's not on Spotify. Heard it on a college station playing random songs, the DJ introduced this one personally and said how they found it but IDR 

Also, if you listen enough and are lucky, on very rare occasions, you may even be shocked to find yourself enjoying a new, current artist......

Am I missing some sort of grand idealization? All Trent Reznor does is come out on stage, sing monotone (lyrics?) and posture like he’s Mick Jaggers burly stage double. I think the entirety of “Hurt,” was better illustrated by Johnny Cash than Trent Reznor. But i also understand it was a tribute in a way

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 2:22 PM, The_annoying_one said:

This thread makes me imagine a mash-up called “One Step Closer To Something I Can Never Have”.

I’m not weird. You’re weird. 👀

That’s it. You got it. Meek are we that dare to invision 

• Like 1