UnevenEdge

Day 3, The Discussion

Gemini

5 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Introducing the Jello Salad a concoction so gross it will satisfy any monster’s hunger.  It’s got the sweet lime of jello, with the wonderful pairing of olives what, wtf is that on top?  Some sort of leafy thing  it doesn’t get much grosser than this guys.  Bonus video attached the monster won’t have to personally watch it  he will capture one of our fallen survivor brethren to do it

731B41F4-7857-4D7A-97BE-0B22206C88E9.jpeg.001d628e5b53ebe5dfad5c8dc667a878.jpeg

Judas Priest on a pony, you hit the trifecta! Jello, mayonnaise, and condensed soup!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Why was there this thing of making gross gelatin abominations?  I’m seeing clear gelatin with shredded chicken some with shrimp. The thing I posted with kiwi fruit canned peas and carrots and olives. I mean wtf 😳 

"You can follow American social history by looking at the history of Jell-O ads," Belluscio points out. Early ads promised housewives that they could serve what the rich were eating "for just ten cents a box," a major advance for a dish so refined that many working-class Americans had never even seen it. The "Jell-O girl" was introduced in 1908 and was wildly successful at convincing Americans to associate Jell-O with the purity and innocence of childhood.

Sales of sugar, and therefore Jell-O, were rationed during World War I, but in the interwar period (the 1920s and '30s), the popularity of gelatin salads soared. The Depression spurred homemakers to stretch their ingredients as far as possible, and the introduction of lime-flavored Jell-O in the early 1930s gave the salad trend a major boost. Entire cookbooks were devoted to lime Jell-O, according to Belluscio, often instructing cooks to add a tablespoon of vinegar to cut the sweetness when using flavored gelatins in savory vegetable salads.

If during the 19th century, not to mention much of the 20th, beef and potatoes represented culinary masculinity, gelatin dishes came to be seen as the perfect feminine food: "Dainty Desserts for Dainty People," as the title of a 1915 Knox Gelatine cookbook put it. Teahouses and ladies' social events served light, "refreshing" fare, and that meant Jell-O salads, as shown in this Jell-O ad featuring "Mrs. Dewey's smartest salads!" Jell-O salads were dainty and refined, but affordable, too: a way for ordinary women to aspire to a higher social status. As World War II began, they were a way to "prove to you and your friends that you can still do luscious entertaining in spite of shortages and rations," as one wartime recipe for "Olive Relish" (olives, pickles, celery, and vinegar in lime Jell-O) declared.

[the article goes on to say that there was a reprise in the gelatin salads in the 50's when surveys were conducted - "The results were stark: They rated a woman who resorted to instant products as "lazy, disorganized...and a bad wife." So women began putting the labor back into 'convenience' foods by adding prepared foods, which is where the meat and...tuna comes into play.]

Edited by Vela
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Vela said:

"You can follow American social history by looking at the history of Jell-O ads," Belluscio points out. Early ads promised housewives that they could serve what the rich were eating "for just ten cents a box," a major advance for a dish so refined that many working-class Americans had never even seen it. The "Jell-O girl" was introduced in 1908 and was wildly successful at convincing Americans to associate Jell-O with the purity and innocence of childhood.

Sales of sugar, and therefore Jell-O, were rationed during World War I, but in the interwar period (the 1920s and '30s), the popularity of gelatin salads soared. The Depression spurred homemakers to stretch their ingredients as far as possible, and the introduction of lime-flavored Jell-O in the early 1930s gave the salad trend a major boost. Entire cookbooks were devoted to lime Jell-O, according to Belluscio, often instructing cooks to add a tablespoon of vinegar to cut the sweetness when using flavored gelatins in savory vegetable salads.

If during the 19th century, not to mention much of the 20th, beef and potatoes represented culinary masculinity, gelatin dishes came to be seen as the perfect feminine food: "Dainty Desserts for Dainty People," as the title of a 1915 Knox Gelatine cookbook put it. Teahouses and ladies' social events served light, "refreshing" fare, and that meant Jell-O salads, as shown in this Jell-O ad featuring "Mrs. Dewey's smartest salads!" Jell-O salads were dainty and refined, but affordable, too: a way for ordinary women to aspire to a higher social status. As World War II began, they were a way to "prove to you and your friends that you can still do luscious entertaining in spite of shortages and rations," as one wartime recipe for "Olive Relish" (olives, pickles, celery, and vinegar in lime Jell-O) declared.

[the article goes on to say that there was a reprise in the gelatin salads in the 50's when a surveys were conducted - "The results were stark: They rated a woman who resorted to instant products as "lazy, disorganized...and a bad wife." So women began putting the labor back into 'convenience' foods by adding prepared foods, which is where the meat and...tuna comes into play.]

Jfc that’s almost as bad as the story of how the kitchen cleaner listerine turned into mouth wash 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, 1pooh4u said:

Damn when I saved the image I swear the recipe was much clearer. Is that lime jello, condensed milk and starkist tuna?  Humans are just disgusting things we are just not right in the head creatures 

Either condensed milk or cream cheese, and mayo as well?

The look of it reminds me of this one

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Can you imagine how that marketing went down?

”you know we can sell a lot more of this shit if we make up an oral disease and sell our cleaning products as mouthwash!”  I told you we’re just terrible 😆

Even when people know better advertisement still wins them/us over.

26 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

That’s…..um….. I mean, I guess I can see that. Still makes me re-think ever using it again, though.

It's safe.  It's no different than any other alcohol base mouthwashes.  People had been using alcohol for both purposes before it was marketed as mouthwash.  Listerine was developed as a safe option of antiseptic to use during surgery.  The floor cleaners you're thinking about, with bleach or ammonia, are totally different than Listerine.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_annoying_one said:

Wait…..wut? 🫤

Listerine was originally kitchen cleanser but the company that makes it decided “let’s shame people into thinking they have really bad breath.” They coined the condition “chronic halitosis” and pushed listerine as the cure. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vela said:

It's safe.  It's no different than any other alcohol base mouthwashes.  People had been using alcohol for both purposes before it was marketed as mouthwash.  Listerine was developed as a safe option of antiseptic to use during surgery.  The floor cleaners you're thinking about, with bleach or ammonia, are totally different than Listerine.  

Fun fact: I've used it to disinfect small cuts on my body, too, so the antiseptic during surgery part totally makes sense. (I only used it when I didn't have hydrogen peroxide on hand.)

Edited by hornedlizardman
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

I bet it was used as a disinfectant for hair stylists and barbers, too. That wouldn't surprise me.

Sure.  Actually when I briefly worked at an aphasia center they taught us to always put about a half inch of Listerine in the commodes before and after use (like making our own toilet water), kept them sterilized and prevented them from smelling like poop all the time. 

5 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Listerine was originally kitchen cleanser but the company that makes it decided “let’s shame people into thinking they have really bad breath.” They coined the condition “chronic halitosis” and pushed listerine as the cure. 

xD Man.  Listerine.  Did Dr. Kellogg have a hand in this?!  Psshhh, breakfast is the most important meal of the day 9_9

Circumcisions. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The_annoying_one said:

I guess I’m just a wimp. The burn of Listerine is enough to make me steer clear. Which is weird considering I eat a lot of spicy foods.

It could be your salt intake. I'm not a doctor though.

23 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

I guess I’m just a wimp. The burn of Listerine is enough to make me steer clear. Which is weird considering I eat a lot of spicy foods.

The gold one is harsher than the mint.  Maybe it's psychological :D because you don't get the same satisfaction with mouthwash as you do with the food, forcing yourself to hold burning liquid in your mouth just seems like a minimal form of self-torture xD 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Vela said:

xD Man.  Listerine.  Did Dr. Kellogg have a hand in this?!  Psshhh, breakfast is the most important meal of the day 9_9

Circumcisions. 

Yeah I know!  People try to blame the Jews for circumcision, but it was Dr Kellogg pushing tasteless cornflakes and circumcision as the cure to masturbation 😆

• Haha 1

Also, is it just me or did Bush miss a golden opportunity to rework their hit song "Glycerine" for use in Listerine ads? I mean it practically writes itself.

"Don't let the day go by.
Fresh breath is easier on you, you, you.
Listerine!
Listerine!
Listerine!
Listerine!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Yeah I know!  People try to blame the Jews for circumcision, but it was Dr Kellogg pushing tasteless cornflakes and circumcision as the cure to masturbation 😆

What's you're legacy?  Oh, tastelss cornflakes and genital mutilation.

Disclaimer to all the gents:  I didn't mean to make it sound derogatory, nothing weird in function or appearance with either in my opinion xD 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

Also, is it just me or did Bush miss a golden opportunity to rework their hit song "Glycerine" for use in Listerine ads? I mean it practically writes itself.

"Don't let the day go by.
Fresh breath is easier on you, you, you.
Listerine!
Listerine!
Listerine!
Listerine!"

You. YOU. Post of the day right here.

• Thanks 1
  • D'oh 1