UnevenEdge

Double MHA and dubbed One Piece crossover to air March 4th

Toonamiguy321

Crossover special?  There were those crossovers with other SJ properties like Dragonball and Naruto…and I think one that included Tokiro back when someone thought that could be big.  

Geez, does anyone remember Tokrio?  Am I even spelling it correctly?

Holy hell, it IS Toriko!

And I was spelling it wrong!

Ok, clearly the objective here is to mooch off of Dragon Ball’s watch-selling, Idris Elba’s career-killing popularity.  Which considering everything I just said is not the worst strategy.

3 minutes ago, Jman said:

Holy hell, it IS Toriko!

And I was spelling it wrong!

Ok, clearly the objective here is to mooch off of Dragon Ball’s watch-selling, Idris Elba’s career-killing popularity.  Which considering everything I just said is not the worst strategy.

People made the exact same jokes in 2011 when this episode originally aired. Toriko was never very popular, and propping it up next to Goku and Luffy was seen as a comically desperate move. 

This special is the only reason Toriko hasn’t been entirely forgotten. And I really hope this doesn’t lead to the show joining the lineup one day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, Toriko, as a manga, was great. Sadly, Toei got their grubby hands on it and Toei-fied it for younger audiences which pretty much killed any hype it had as an anime. Even putting it with Dragonball and One Piece couldn't save it from irrelevancy. It deserved so much better.

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

The one time I leave it off of my content rating logs, this happens. It's a neat change of pace, for sure, but man, I still can't believe we're actually doing this.

It’s a strange scenario for sure. I highly doubt Toonami cashed in a favor with Toei to get a single oddball episode dubbed. Toei likely did it just for completions sake and threw a bone to Toonami as a bonus. Toei promoted this on their twitter almost immediately after Toonami put their schedule up, further supporting it’s a little gimmick thing Toei is doing that Toonami can coast on for a week as a bonus. 

What is getting a little overshadowed here is that they are doubling up MHA. Normally they would move the heavens to prevent a premium lead show from being exhausted any faster. Even if (for now) it’s only for one week, it’s troubling they are doing that. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

What is getting a little overshadowed here is that they are doubling up MHA. Normally they would move the heavens to prevent a premium lead show from being exhausted any faster. Even if (for now) it’s only for one week, it’s troubling they are doing that. 

It could just be a one-off doubling up for that Saturday. 

Could also be that they have something good lined up for after MHA.

Could also be that they poop their pants a lot and like to eat crayons. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

It could just be a one-off doubling up for that Saturday. 

Likely, if for no other reason, there is a limited amount of times they can do this with MHA. I doubt they want a repeat of Yashahime S1 where they burn through months worth of content in a few weeks.

Could also be that they have something good lined up for after MHA.

I’d have a hard time believing it considering they are having so much trouble landing even second rate shows. Plus, if they did have something to air ASAP, there’s no reason MHA can’t move to 12:30. In the old days, Toonami usually shot for a solid first hour, not just first slot. 

Could also be that they poop their pants a lot and like to eat crayons. 

Stop spying on me in my house. 

• Haha 5

This is pretty freak’n wild. Not only a dub premiere but North America premiere of something that’s not legally available to buy even in Japan.

I don’t think Toonami sought this out but rather it fell into their laps and realizing they had it they chose to save it to make an occasion out of it.

I suspect that when Toei took over guiding the dub production with Punk Hazard that they went ahead and had FUNi dub the special despite not dubbing the other crossovers but chose not to include it in the DVD release (possibly because it was never on DVD in Japan). I think a few years later it just ended up included in the tapes sent to Toonami but they skipped airing it in sequence because they weren’t sure about the broadcast rights until they talked it over with Toei. At that point Toei finally decided to release it despite it only being half of the special.

Its also pretty interesting they are doubling up MHA instead of Shippuden. Crunchyroll just had to delay the dub so that means Toonami is getting another week closer to the dub streams. Given how long it took to get the show locked down for season 6 it’s surprising that CR is letting Toonami get a few weeks closer.

I don’t think this is the only one-off program we’ll see in March. That Titan special is an easy mark for the 18th of March or the 25th but it might even be ready March 11th if Crunchyroll gets the materials early enough. I don’t think they can double up MHA another week but they could double Shippuden or air Superman/Shazam on the 11th or some other one-off.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Sketch said:

I don’t think this is the only one-off program we’ll see in March. That Titan special is an easy mark for the 18th of March or the 25th but it might even be ready March 11th if Crunchyroll gets the materials early enough. I don’t think they can double up MHA another week but they could double Shippuden or air Superman/Shazam on the 11th or some other one-off.

I’m a little worried about this as well. It definitely feels like they are keeping the block on stall mode until AoT is ready to air. They have started shows them had them take a week off right away before, I see no reason to be afraid of doing that here. AoT wouldn’t even take up the entire night, so if they could at least get one show started it shouldn’t face any interruptions. 

With the current hiccups with dubs, I don’t see AoT getting turned around by the 11th. So that would mean the majority of March would also be stalling. 

At this point, I’d be fine with them just announcing new shows, but not giving a date. They have had enough time, they should at least have something secured.

4 minutes ago, Sketch said:

They pretty much never announced things well in advance, so I don’t expect they’ll do it here, even if they have something secured. They are not concerned with the optics.

I remember way back when they released those 2 minute promos a month out.  Those were the days, but they weren’t terrified of everyone running to Crunchyroll back then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Hey, please change the title of this thread. It's been well established that this WILL be a dub premiere after all!

I had no idea that we were able to edit our own thread titles here

8 hours ago, Sketch said:

They pretty much never announced things well in advance, so I don’t expect they’ll do it here, even if they have something secured. They are not concerned with the optics.

I know they don’t care about optics, but I hate that they insist on consistently doing the wrong things just because they have always done things wrong. It would quell some worries if they would just drop a title. 

Though to do that, they actually need a show secured. Which I’m still skeptical of being the case. 

• Like 1

I don't know why no one has brought it up yet, but the Toriko mangaka is a known sex offender.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2002-08-07/mitsutoshi-shimabukuro-arrested

I'm not sure how Demarco can claim to be this big progressive guy when he is airing something with this man's work in it.

Also, the concept for Toriko never seemed appealing anyway.  This is about a guy collecting food ingredients. 

And the further stalling tactics and doubled up MHA (why not One Piece or Shippuden?) does not inspire confidence.

Edited by ben0119

3 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I don't know why no one has brought it up yet, but the Toriko mangaka is a known sex offender.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2002-08-07/mitsutoshi-shimabukuro-arrested

I'm not sure how Demarco can claim to be this big progressive guy when he is airing something with this man's work in it.

Separating art from the artist and all that nonsense. Also, I don't think he really knows and/or cares about the creator's past controversies.

• Like 1

Ehh, I don't think it's a huge deal. I doubt any of the creators get much in the way of royalties from an American channel airing what's essentially a decade-old extended filler episode, especially the distant third fiddle trailing behind two of the biggest anime franchises in history. Toriko's been over for years now too, and I'd be shocked if this got even a single person interested enough to seek it out. The general feedback I've seen from all the Toriko crossovers tends to be along the lines of getting mayo on a burger; you didn't ask for it, you didn't want it, it's made the burger worse but you just have to scrape it off if you want to eat.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Also, the concept for Toriko never seemed appealing anyway.  This is about a guy collecting food ingredients. 

And the further stalling tactics and doubled up MHA (why not One Piece or Shippuden?) does not inspire confidence.

Mate, that happened in 2002. 21 years ago. I could see if it was something recent, but people gotta learn to let this stuff go. Mike Tyson is a sex offender too, and AS gave him his own show. 

It’s not like this is going to do the creator any favors anyway. It’s a silly crossover episode for a show I’d wager at least half the Toonami audience doesn’t even know exists. And the half that does know it exists thinks it’s trash. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Separating art from the artist and all that nonsense. Also, I don't think he really knows and/or cares about the creator's past controversies.

That's all well and good if you can do that.  I think it depends on the nature of the crime and the involvement of the artist.  To me, sex crimes are pretty hard to come back from.  An author or artist is probably easier to separate, especially if you don't look into behind the scenes stuff.  Actors are right in your face, and voice actors to a lesser extent. 

Anytime I hear about Toriko, the first thing that pops into my head is that the creator is a perv.  So while I would never seek out the content regardless, this makes me want to steer clear of it entirely.  It's the same reason I'll never know how Kenshin ends.  I was luckily able to finish my re-watch of the series and OVAs, but Watsuki got busted before I could read the manga.  Rurouni Kenshin is forever tainted now.

And I just found out he did Buso Renkin, so I guess I'm never watching that...

14 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Ehh, I don't think it's a huge deal. I doubt any of the creators get much in the way of royalties from an American channel airing what's essentially a decade-old extended filler episode, especially the distant third fiddle trailing behind two of the biggest anime franchises in history. Toriko's been over for years now too, and I'd be shocked if this got even a single person interested enough to seek it out. The general feedback I've seen from all the Toriko crossovers tends to be along the lines of getting mayo on a burger; you didn't ask for it, you didn't want it, it's made the burger worse but you just have to scrape it off if you want to eat.

I have no idea of the royalties manga/anime creators get from stuff airing on Toonami.  I'd bet they probably get more from streaming services.

This crossover episode would be a lot more palatable if it was just One Piece and Dragon Ball.  Who the hell invited Toriko to the party?!  Besides the author's crime, it's also just a third rate franchise most have no interest in.

While I will avoid the Toriko manga and anime like the plague, given this has Dragon Ball and One Piece in it, and is on Toonami, I'll watch it for completion's sake.

13 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Mate, that happened in 2002. 21 years ago. I could see if it was something recent, but people gotta learn to let this stuff go. Mike Tyson is a sex offender too, and AS gave him his own show. 

It’s not like this is going to do the creator any favors anyway. It’s a silly crossover episode for a show I’d wager at least half the Toonami audience doesn’t even know exists. And the half that does know it exists thinks it’s trash. 

Yeah, but it's not like the guy did some petty shop-lifting or something.  Sex crimes are pretty hard to come back from.  Don't those people never change their predilections?  I doubt this was the only time he did it, either. 

I don't know the nature of Mike Tyson's crimes, since I was never a fan of boxing or him in particular.  But, if he actually did what he was convicted of (looking it up just now, sure sounds like he did it,) this is the only time I can think of someone coming back from something like this.  Mike Tyson was once thought of as monstrous (he did a lot of other stuff, besides the rape,) now he does comedies and plays with pigeons.  But I can't think of any other examples. 

You are probably right, though, that this special airing is not likely to get much traction for Toriko or any of the mangaka's other work.

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah, but it's not like the guy did some petty shop-lifting or something.  Sex crimes are pretty hard to come back from.  Don't those people never change their predilections?  I doubt this was the only time he did it, either. 

I don't know the nature of Mike Tyson's crimes, since I was never a fan of boxing or him in particular.  But, if he actually did what he was convicted of (looking it up just now, sure sounds like he did it,) this is the only time I can think of someone coming back from something like this.  Mike Tyson was once thought of as monstrous (he did a lot of other stuff, besides the rape,) now he does comedies and plays with pigeons.  But I can't think of any other examples. 

What Toriko’s creator did is hard to even view as a sex crime. He visited a prostitute at a time in Japan where they were just starting to properly crack down on prostitution. It’s widely believed that him as well as a few other minor celebrities at the time were made an example of, rather than committing an actual serious offense. And that’s further supported by the fact that Toriko exists. His active series at the time was cancelled in response to his charges, but not long after he was back to a premium slot in Jump, so they probably thought he got a raw deal too. 

Im of the opinion that Toriko is at best, bland garbage, and I’m not familiar with his other works, so I’m not here trying to defend my favorite show/creator. I’m just pointing out that sometimes it feels like if people are not angry, they will dig something up until they have a reason to be angry. 

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

The prostitute was underaged as well but that’s nothing compared to Watsuki’s mountain of CP which he got little more than a slap on the wrist for.

She was 16. Japan’s AoC laws are pretty confusing, even more so back in 2002. Interestingly, just 5 days ago did Japan put forward a piece of legislation to official raise the AoC from a near global low of 13 up to 18. This is more of a symbolic move, as most prefectures had already elevated the AoC to 18. But there were still some fringe circumstances where you could use the old law to get away with 13. 

16 was not that out of the ordinary in 2002. But it’s when Japan was starting to kind of half ass changes due to rising western pressure to do so, and Toriko’s author was at the wrong place at the wrong time. 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:37 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Concerningly, no schedule update for 3/11. So presumably they still have no news show and don’t even know what stall method they want to roll out. 

they really can't be trying to pry something from CR can they?

i doubt sentai/amc would be causing this much trouble for them....

On 2/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

What Toriko’s creator did is hard to even view as a sex crime. He visited a prostitute at a time in Japan where they were just starting to properly crack down on prostitution. It’s widely believed that him as well as a few other minor celebrities at the time were made an example of, rather than committing an actual serious offense. And that’s further supported by the fact that Toriko exists. His active series at the time was cancelled in response to his charges, but not long after he was back to a premium slot in Jump, so they probably thought he got a raw deal too. 

Im of the opinion that Toriko is at best, bland garbage, and I’m not familiar with his other works, so I’m not here trying to defend my favorite show/creator. I’m just pointing out that sometimes it feels like if people are not angry, they will dig something up until they have a reason to be angry. 

Well, it can be argued that prostitution shouldn't be illegal.  It's the "oldest profession" after all, and you are not going to stop people from doing that.  It is supposedly handled better in the areas where it's legal.  But, the prostitute was 16.  I have seen some people trying to defend it, saying maybe he didn't know how old the girl was, or she lied about her age. *sigh*

Well, Watsuki was also able to return after getting caught with CP.  He got a $1200 fine or so and was back at his manga in less than a year.

One guy I know of that actually saw consequences was the mangaka that raped two underage girls.  His shit got straight up canceled, no hiatus, and I doubt he'll be back.  Not sure what criminal punishment he got.

The issue is that Japan has screwed up priorities.  A Yakuza game VA got caught for drugs and was blackslisted and erased, Josef Stalin style.  But sex crimes aren't treated very seriously.

I mean, we should already be angry we are having to have this special with Toriko instead of a new show haha.  We wouldn't even be having this discussion if the Toonami crew had done their jobs!

On 2/20/2023 at 11:11 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

She was 16. Japan’s AoC laws are pretty confusing, even more so back in 2002. Interestingly, just 5 days ago did Japan put forward a piece of legislation to official raise the AoC from a near global low of 13 up to 18. This is more of a symbolic move, as most prefectures had already elevated the AoC to 18. But there were still some fringe circumstances where you could use the old law to get away with 13. 

16 was not that out of the ordinary in 2002. But it’s when Japan was starting to kind of half ass changes due to rising western pressure to do so, and Toriko’s author was at the wrong place at the wrong time. 

You say "western pressure" like it's a bad thing Japan had to raise their age of consent.  You don't think 16 is too young?  It should be 18, or at least 17, like some U.S. states have.  There are even some guys that will travel to other countries to have sex with younger girls.  Age of consent is 16 in the U.K. and one of the wrestlers that got outed in the #SpeakingOut movement took advantage of that.

Though it had also been my understanding that even when it was legal in Japan, it wasn't considered socially acceptable to have sex with people that young.  Sort of like how Germany never thought to make cannibalism illegal until some guy ate another guy.

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

they really can't be trying to pry something from CR can they?

i doubt sentai/amc would be causing this much trouble for them....

That is pretty stupid if they are.  Stop shooting for the moon and get SOMETHING.  It doesn't have to be a top tier AAA anime.  Just something of decent quality that hasn't been on the block before.

Also, apparently a promo for the special was supposed to air tonight, but never did.

Edited by ben0119

59 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Well, it can be argued that prostitution shouldn't be illegal.  It's the "oldest profession" after all, and you are not going to stop people from doing that.  It is supposedly handled better in the areas where it's legal.  But, the prostitute was 16.  I have seen some people trying to defend it, saying maybe he didn't know how old the girl was, or she lied about her age. *sigh*

Well, Watsuki was also able to return after getting caught with CP.  He got a $1200 fine or so and was back at his manga in less than a year.

One guy I know of that actually saw consequences was the mangaka that raped two underage girls.  His shit got straight up canceled, no hiatus, and I doubt he'll be back.  Not sure what criminal punishment he got.

The issue is that Japan has screwed up priorities.  A Yakuza game VA got caught for drugs and was blackslisted and erased, Josef Stalin style.  But sex crimes aren't treated very seriously.

I mean, we should already be angry we are having to have this special with Toriko instead of a new show haha.  We wouldn't even be having this discussion if the Toonami crew had done their jobs!

You say "western pressure" like it's a bad thing Japan had to raise their age of consent.  You don't think 16 is too young?  It should be 18, or at least 17, like some U.S. states have.  There are even some guys that will travel to other countries to have sex with younger girls.  Age of consent is 16 in the U.K. and one of the wrestlers that got outed in the #SpeakingOut movement took advantage of that.

Though it had also been my understanding that even when it was legal in Japan, it wasn't considered socially acceptable to have sex with people that young.  Sort of like how Germany never thought to make cannibalism illegal until some guy ate another guy.

That is pretty stupid if they are.  Stop shooting for the moon and get SOMETHING.  It doesn't have to be a top tier AAA anime.  Just something of decent quality that hasn't been on the block before.

Also, apparently a promo for the special was supposed to air tonight, but never did.

probably doesn't help that the toonami crew are iffy on airing anything they themselves don't enjoy....(In A Recent Q&A  Demarco said if Yugioh Ever got a full uncut dub  He'd never allow it on toonami Because He Hates that series)

considering how long it's taking them to find two new shows I'd think it's fair to assume they are being extra picky and refusing to look at anything they personally don't enjoy

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I don’t think that’s a fair assumption given how tight the budget could be this year. We can’t just assume anything Sentai has is on the table either.

if the budget is any tighter then how can they get anything?....the budget was already pretty shitty before

as for sentai there's no evidence to suggest they'd be blocking toonami from anything they'd want right now

they aren't CR and AMC seems to have no interest in hoarding that content for themselves like sony would

Edited by CountFrylock

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

IIRC, the problem with Sentai isn't that they don't want their stuff on Toonami like the case is with Sony/Crunchyroll, but that whenever [as] extends offers to license from them, it takes forever for them to get back to them. In the end, what we have here is a failure to communicate.

[bang]

so then what are toonami's options if CR Doesn't want to cooperate and sentai won't respond to calls/emails?

The Viz Library isn't exactly that big

• Confused 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:03 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

I think it’s time to start worrying about the future of the block a little bit 

A8D88DA4-1F24-4E43-ABC4-C546B949A8DD.jpeg

Fun fact: Toonami's first dub premiere of the year on March 4, 2023, on the year's 9th lineup, IS late in the year for a first dub premiere, but one year actually eclipsed it:

Not 2022, with its World Premiere of Blade Runner: Black Lotus, on 1/1/22...

Not 2021, which had an episode of SAOAWOU2 premiere on 1/2/21...

Not 2020, which saw MHA and Dr. Stone have network premieres on 1/4/20, but those weren't dub premieres. The One-Punch Man episode that followed, however, WAS...

Not 2019 nor 2018, with a Dragon Ball Super episode premiering at 11 PM and 10:30 PM on 1/5/19 and 1/6/18, respectively...

2017 is a little tricky. On 1/7/17, Dragon Ball Super had a dub premiere, but technically on [as] at 8 PM, NOT DURING TOONAMI! Following the 11:30 rerun of that episode at Midnight was a Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters episode which MAY have been a dub premiere...

2016 had an Akame Ga Kill episode dub premiere on the first lineup of the year on 1/2/16.

In 2015, however, the first dub premiere to air on Toonami was actually Sword Art Online II, which premiered on 3/28/15! So there HAS been a first dub premiere of the year this late before, and in fact, even later, on the 13th lineup of the year, in fact!

As for the rest, for posterity's sake, 2014 started with a World Premiere of Space Dandy on 1/4/14, a and a dub premiere episode of Bleach kicked off Toonami on 1/5/13 and the April Fool's Pilot on 4/1/12. So, 2012 also had a late start as well but it WAS still a dub premiere on the first lineup of the year, which puts it with all the other years besides 2015 and 2023.

What DOES set 2023 apart is that we don't know when after 3/4/23 that Toonami will air its next World Premiere or dub premiere. Both 2012 and 2015's late starts were immediately followed by another episode of their premieres on 4/8/12 (though not part of Toonami) and 4/4/15. Will that be the case in 2023?

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

Toei is eager to work with toonami because they still believe American Cable Television is a great place to promote their shows

not sure how many others in Japan feel the same way

TMS and previously Sunrise were willing to work with them but that's basically it besides companies willing to do co-productions.