UnevenEdge

Yashahime double up on 2/4 and Made in Abyss hour finale on 2/11

Toonamiguy321

15 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

No One Piece for one week?! 

This is an issue of national security. I hope Moose is on the No-Fly list.

Maybe they’re winding it down.  The inevitable live-action adaptation is still coming soon, and I don’t think DeMarco wants to air the show until he knows he can use it to dunk on it.  And imagine if it’s a success?  (LOLNO)  Any airing would be advertising his competitor.

As for the schedule, good way to finish the shows with a bang, but I’m not expecting much besides reruns afterwards.

This is probably honestly the most coherent way they could have handled this.

Just wish we were getting a rerun of Housing Complex C instead of PRIMAL at 2:30. It would wrap nicely on 2/11 so MiA S2 could replace it the following week. This means if they decide to rerun of MiA S2, it will be later on, which to be fair IS what they did with MiA S1.

Hope both get send-off promos!

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

This is probably honestly the most coherent way they could have handled this.

Just wish we were getting a rerun of Housing Complex C instead of PRIMAL at 2:30. It would wrap nicely on 2/11 so MiA S2 could replace it the following week. This means if they decide to rerun of MiA S2, it will be later on, which to be fair IS what they did with MiA S1.

Definitely wish HCC would come back to the Block because I have been meaning to rewatch it. 

It is all on Max, right? Guess I will have to go there haha 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jman said:

Maybe they’re winding it down.  The inevitable live-action adaptation is still coming soon, and I don’t think DeMarco wants to air the show until he knows he can use it to dunk on it.  And imagine if it’s a success?  (LOLNO)  Any airing would be advertising his competitor.

As for the schedule, good way to finish the shows with a bang, but I’m not expecting much besides reruns afterwards.

Demarco said if the choice is up to him, One Piece will never leave the block. So unless Zaslav is saying they needed to get rid of that pirate shit after two fan art debacles involving its characters, it’s not going anywhere. 

I am still highly skeptical about us actually getting two new shows on the same night, so it wouldn’t shock me to see the return of the One Piece hour to cover one of those empty slots. If the reason they cut it down last year was running out of episodes, then they should have bought the 2023 batch by now and can put it back to double speed for the rest of the year. 

2 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

No One Piece for one week?! 

This is an issue of national security. I hope Moose is on the No-Fly list.

Is Moose that dude from back on the AS forum who would pivot immediately to death threats if you are even so much as suggested One Piece was underperforming on the block?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

MiA got one for its first hour-long season finale, so this next one should as well. Not sure about Yashahime, but they've got nothing better to make a promo for right now, so I say go for it... if they have the manpower.

4 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Is Moose that dude from back on the AS forum who would pivot immediately to death threats if you are even so much as suggested One Piece was underperforming on the block?

Yes.

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I hope Moose is in a psychiatric facility of some kind, or at least seeing a patient therapist.

Hopefully, but I suppose at least some of it could've been an act. You can never tell on a forum with enough special people like ours.

[goddamnit yo]

• Haha 2

After bitching and whining they couldnt find the time in 10 months to update bumpers, it seems they have updated all the bumpers again after only about 2 months of usage. 

On one hand, great! More updates is a good thing. On the other hand, it’s pretty concerning they are doing this now for MiA and Yashahime, rather than waiting 3 weeks to refresh the entire block, as those two shows should only use their bumpers for 3 more weeks before never being seen again. 

• Thanks 1

On the high end, we could be getting Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War and Chainsaw Man, on the low end, Food Wars and Pop Team Epic, here we come!  I really hope it's not just more reruns or doubling up One Piece or Naruto.  Although, those shows should be doubled up anyway.

But, I am not getting my hopes up.

• Haha 1

Demarco did an AMA tonight, hopefully this is a good sign. Of shows I saw specifically mentioned

Witch from Mercury - “not in the cards”

Demon Slayer S2 - still not happening

Jujutsu Kaisen - Asked about it, don’t know if they can get it

Trigun Stampede - Want it, don’t know if they can get it

Not a show, but currently no plans to move the block earlier than midnight. 

A lot of really predictable stuff there knocked off the list, at least for this schedule rotation.  We might actually have a couple of curveballs coming. 

3914BE21-B142-4037-8EE2-7E1A9B6AEA3E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I'm not really surprised Witch from Mercury is still out, between it having no dub and Toonami Faithful not being as Gundam-crazy as Demarco is.

The maybes for JJK and Stampede are promising, though. Maybe their somehow managing to get My Hero S6 on the block has opened the door for smoother negotiations with Crunchyroll?

6 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Demarco did an AMA tonight, hopefully this is a good sign. Of shows I saw specifically mentioned

A lot of really predictable stuff there knocked off the list, at least for this schedule rotation.  We might actually have a couple of curveballs coming. 

Let's see here -

Witch from Mercury has gotten a very positive reception from just about everyone, but the unusual release schedule (split 4 cour, no set dub date YET) and all the other fingers in the Gundam pie probably make it unfeasible.  

Demon Slayer S2 - With Mugen Train now on Netflix, and another Demon Slayer movie headed for theaters (although this one is more a compilation film so I don't expect it to do the numbers Mugen Train did) it's pretty clear the franchise has left DeMarco in the mountain cold.

Jujutsu Kaisen - Not happening.  Not only has it been a while, but Crunchyroll has been rather invested in it, what with the original release being an exclusive for Crunchyroll to the point it aired on HBO Max (too bad WarnerMedia is one of the most poorly run conglomerates on the planet so no one wanted to share their toys) and the movie doing gangbusters for Crunchyroll to the point it outgrossed the Bob's Burgers movie (and Strange World, but that was such a flop it's going to affect how Disney releases animated movies from here on out).

Trigun Stampede - Probably another case of Crunchyroll not wanting to share unless a contract forces them too.

Looks like another barren year.  FLCL sequels and fourth string shows from Sentai.  At the rate things are going, HBO Max is going to go “Hey DeMarco!  We need you to air this hot new show of ours!  It’s called Velma!”

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'm not really surprised Witch from Mercury is still out, between it having no dub and Toonami Faithful not being as Gundam-crazy as Demarco is.

The maybes for JJK and Stampede are promising, though. Maybe their somehow managing to get My Hero S6 on the block has opened the door for smoother negotiations with Crunchyroll?

Personally I hadn’t entirely written off the chances for Witch from Mercury. Yes, it currently does not have a dub announced, however many times in the past a show has had its dub reveal coupled with a Toonami reveal. Unfortunately, that may be something that’s left entirely in the past though. The way Demarco was talking about it, it seems like it may not be accessible to them at all, so there may be even more issues with it that we don’t know about. 

7 hours ago, Jman said:

Looks like another barren year.  FLCL sequels and fourth string shows from Sentai.

As long as we are actually getting new content, I kind of look forward to seeing some pickups most of the fanbase didnt predict from a mile away. 

I did notice one strange thing while scrolling, quite a few people asked various questions about Bleach. Ranging from its potential for Toonami to just his opinion on it so far. He ignored them all. Read into that how you will. 

• Confused 1

While I'm leaning heavily on FLCL Grunge being one of the replacements, the other slot could prove surprising. I feel like they'll wait on Bleach until MHA ends because the 2nd part isn't simulcasting until Summer and once MHA ends what else will they possibly have for a big draw? Getting Bleach on in February probably won't help it do any better than it would in the Summer and if they get it now then they'll have to replace it three months.

I still think they're eyeing Urusei Yatsura from Sentai. Even though a dub was announced months ago there's still no sign of it on HiDive. Probably just a coincidence but maybe they can get the dub premiere like Lupin Part 6.

It wouldn't be particularly inspired to fall back on something like Jujutsu Kaisen but if Crunchyroll is willing to make a deal that wont break the bank, they'll probably jump on it.

CR might throw Toonami another bone soon but I don't expect Demon Slayer, Mob Psycho 100, Spy x Family, Chainsaw Man or Trigun Stampede. All of those will likely remain out of Toonami's price range this year.

If Titan ends up being two long episodes then this is a moot point but if it's 4-6 episodes in two batches the timing is about right for it to come in to replace FLCL Grunge in early April if Grunge is actually one of the February 18th additions. The Japanese broadcast of part 1 is set for March 4th and while they probably don't need a full month to dub it, it's well within the usual parameters. I believe Primal will also end the same night that FLCL Grunge would (March 25th) allowing Grunge to rerun in the back if they wanted to do that.

Since there's only 3 originals expected this year (per DeMarco's recent AMA) it's pretty assured that's FLCL Grunge earlier in the year, FLCL Shoegaze in the middle of the year or as late as November and Uzumaki in October. Something is supposedly airing early in 2024 and that's probably Ninja Kamui. Of course if Grunge isn't ready in February then it can pop up a bit later this year and the space between FLCL seasons could be minimized. I don't think they'll end up loading all 3 originals back to back to back from mid-August to the end of the Year but that is an option.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sketch said:

While I'm leaning heavily on FLCL Grunge being one of the replacements, the other slot could prove surprising. I feel like they'll wait on Bleach until MHA ends because the 2nd part isn't simulcasting until Summer and once MHA ends what else will they possibly have for a big draw? Getting Bleach on in February probably won't help it do any better than it would in the Summer and if they get it now then they'll have to replace it three months.

I still think they're eyeing Urusei Yatsura from Sentai. Even though a dub was announced months ago there's still no sign of it on HiDive. Probably just a coincidence but maybe they can get the dub premiere like Lupin Part 6.

It wouldn't be particularly inspired to fall back on something like Jujutsu Kaisen but if Crunchyroll is willing to make a deal that wont break the bank, they'll probably jump on it.

CR might throw Toonami another bone soon but I don't expect Demon Slayer, Mob Psycho 100, Spy x Family, Chainsaw Man or Trigun Stampede. All of those will likely remain out of Toonami's price range this year.

If Titan ends up being two long episodes then this is a moot point but if it's 4-6 episodes in two batches the timing is about right for it to come in to replace FLCL Grunge in early April if Grunge is actually one of the February 18th additions. The Japanese broadcast of part 1 is set for March 4th and while they probably don't need a full month to dub it, it's well within the usual parameters. I believe Primal will also end the same night that FLCL Grunge would (March 25th) allowing Grunge to rerun in the back if they wanted to do that.

Since there's only 3 originals expected this year (per DeMarco's recent AMA) it's pretty assured that's FLCL Grunge earlier in the year, FLCL Shoegaze in the middle of the year or as late as November and Uzumaki in October. Something is supposedly airing early in 2024 and that's probably Ninja Kamui. Of course if Grunge isn't ready in February then it can pop up a bit later this year and the space between FLCL seasons could be minimized. I don't think they'll end up loading all 3 originals back to back to back from mid-August to the end of the Year but that is an option.

I agree about Bleach. They gotta think a little different than they used to and spread out the shows they can get that can handle the lead slot. If they pick it up to replace MHA, they should be able to smoothly transition to the second season in the fall, that deals with the lead slot question until next year. The originals may temporarily grab the lead, or they may reassess a 12:30 run for them. Either way, that would only be a brief moment for Bleach outside of midnight if they opt for original leads. 

I also agree about spreading out the originals. That’s their only consistent marketing point anymore, so they need to always be able to tag one in every few months. FLCL in Feb, FLCL in the summer, and Uzumaki in October makes sense. That said, I believe the window on Grunge in February gets narrower by the day that it’s not announced. Perhaps now that Yolo is no longer their main new project they are promoting, they can starting running Grunge promos leading up to its premier. If we get to the end of this week without a Grunge reveal, I’m gonna think it may need a little more time in the oven. 

Ever since it was announced, I have seen a lot of people say Urusei Yatsura would be in their crosshairs. I can’t say I understand the sentiment. It’s not action as far as I know, and it’s not something ASA used to run. The only factor I see in it’s favor is it’s a Rumiko title. Is that it, or is there more to why so many people think it’s Toonami bound? I’m not against it, though I can’t say I’m enthusiastic about another Rumiko title after Yashahime, but I just don’t get why it’s expected. 

On 1/23/2023 at 3:54 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

I agree about Bleach. They gotta think a little different than they used to and spread out the shows they can get that can handle the lead slot. If they pick it up to replace MHA, they should be able to smoothly transition to the second season in the fall, that deals with the lead slot question until next year. The originals may temporarily grab the lead, or they may reassess a 12:30 run for them. Either way, that would only be a brief moment for Bleach outside of midnight if they opt for original leads. 

I also agree about spreading out the originals. That’s their only consistent marketing point anymore, so they need to always be able to tag one in every few months. FLCL in Feb, FLCL in the summer, and Uzumaki in October makes sense. That said, I believe the window on Grunge in February gets narrower by the day that it’s not announced. Perhaps now that Yolo is no longer their main new project they are promoting, they can starting running Grunge promos leading up to its premier. If we get to the end of this week without a Grunge reveal, I’m gonna think it may need a little more time in the oven. 

Ever since it was announced, I have seen a lot of people say Urusei Yatsura would be in their crosshairs. I can’t say I understand the sentiment. It’s not action as far as I know, and it’s not something ASA used to run. The only factor I see in it’s favor is it’s a Rumiko title. Is that it, or is there more to why so many people think it’s Toonami bound? I’m not against it, though I can’t say I’m enthusiastic about another Rumiko title after Yashahime, but I just don’t get why it’s expected. 

An opportunity to air the remake of a legendary series? That’s so up their alley. Since Sentai got it, it should be a pretty easy to snag license. I’d say the same if Viz ended up with it. And yeah they also love Rumiko Takahashi stuff but thankfully unlike YashaHime, Takahashi actually wrote Urusei Yatsura.

If it is Grunge they should be promoting it now but then again, Shenmue and Housing Complex didn’t get a lot of notice before they started. Just a few weeks in Shenmue’s case as I recall.

Edited by Sketch

41 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

All we've got for Grunge so far is Maki Terashima-Furuta tweeting not-really-poorly-disguised screenshots of her working on it and denying it to the screen-faces of the eagle-eyed.

I'd say we're at least a few months out from getting a finished product on that front.

Strange to call it a secret project it’s no secret they are working on it. And yea, those shoes make it obvious. 

At the absolute latest they would have to have it announced by next Friday. And I highly doubt something in the “coming soon” vague twitter teaser stage is gonna make that window. So, I’m at a total loss at this point for what could be coming. More and more, I’m feeling like double One Piece is one of the things we are getting. Two curveball pickups is just unimaginable to me at this stage. 

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

So... do you think Sebastian in that call is Sebastian Stan? Wouldn't be out of the question for NYAV Post to grab a screen actor for one of their dubs.

Skimmed every VA with Sebastian in their name and he is the only one that is active with anything. All Marvel stuff though. Unless there is some newcomer isn’t listed outside of credit reels yet. 

That seems like a pretty big dollar expense though. If that does end up being the case, hopefully they aren’t trying for a Gen:lock angle where they attempt to cover up a terrible project with celebrity names. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

So... do you think Sebastian in that call is Sebastian Stan? Wouldn't be out of the question for NYAV Post to grab a screen actor for one of their dubs.

I was thinking Sebastian Arcelus, since he's done work for NYAV Post before, but I think he's retired from anime voice acting so it probably isn't him either.

4 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Skimmed every VA with Sebastian in their name and he is the only one that is active with anything. All Marvel stuff though. Unless there is some newcomer isn’t listed outside of credit reels yet. 

That seems like a pretty big dollar expense though. If that does end up being the case, hopefully they aren’t trying for a Gen:lock angle where they attempt to cover up a terrible project with celebrity names. 

Considering DeMarco didn’t bother advertising the celebrity cast, just that Rooster Teeth QUALITY, it would be a waste of money.

7 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I was thinking Sebastian Arcelus, since he's done work for NYAV Post before, but I think he's retired from anime voice acting so it probably isn't him either.

Yeah he retired from VA but it’s possible he would play a one-time role for NYAV Post. They managed to get Diraison to return for Guts after several years of not dubbing. Sinterniklaas has sway.

I might be overthinking it though, Sebastian might be the name of the audio engineer or it could be someone who hasn’t dubbed before. But Black Lotus had screen actors so it could be Stan and I’m pretty amused at the prospect of Sebastian Stan voicing a character in FLCL Grunge.

On 1/22/2023 at 11:03 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Guess Demarco changed his mind about not talking about behind the scenes stuff for Toonami.

Hearing all this makes me want to get my hopes up even less.

How can they not know if they can get something?

Was anything said about Chainsaw Man?

On 1/23/2023 at 4:52 PM, Sketch said:

I guess it makes sense to wait for MHA to end to get Bleach.  How many episodes of MHA left are there?

I heard Urasei Yatsura has a bad ending, but I hope that's not true.  Also apparently this new anime doesn't adapt the entire manga, but just certain parts of it?  I don't know if this remake will be friendly to newcomers.

I hoped Jujutsu Kaisen would be easier to get since it is older now.  Don't most people watch these shows when they're new or when they first get dubbed?  I can't imagine it would make much of a difference to Crunchyroll view count if Toonami were to air Jujutsu Kaisen at this point.  Hell, most of the Crunchyroll viewers probably don't even watch Adult Swim or even have cable, so I don't know what Crunchyroll's problem is.

What is Titan?

Demon Slayer, Mob Psycho 100, Spy x Family, Chainsaw Man, and Trigun Stampede will be pretty "out of date" by then.  If Toonami can't get any of those shows this year, it makes me wonder what shows of merit they can get this year.  It reminds me of the old days when we wouldn't get stuff from Japan for a few years or more.  And of course it's yet another reason to not wait to watch something until Toonami gets it (if they ever get it.)

Why did Demarco make even more FLCL shows?  The other two were nowhere near as good as the original.  Progressive was pretty artistic and creative at least, but Alternative was as generic as you can get.  He needs to learn to leave well enough alone.

At any rate, they need to at least put something on, even if they can't get any highly desired stuff.