UnevenEdge

Made In Abyss Episode #18 (Season 2, Episode 5) "Concealment" Discussion!

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

Bondrewd got down here?  How?  Did he send one of his copies down?  I thought you couldn't go back up once you go down here.

So that's a copy of Mitty.  That makes more sense.

Fuuuuuuck that deal.

God damn it Riko you moron.

So Bondrewd has tech that allows him to negate the curse of the 6th Layer. He also has a relic that allows him to occupy multiple bodies so that is more than likely how he goes down to the 6th. 

They talk about it in Dawn of the Deep Soul 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, atomicinumatt said:

So Bondrewd has tech that allows him to negate the curse of the 6th Layer. He also has a relic that allows him to occupy multiple bodies so that is more than likely how he goes down to the 6th. 

It must be one of his extra bodies.  You're not supposed to be able to return from the 6th layer.  Damn Bondrewd with his workarounds!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How do you replicate someone's soul? What the heck. And how in wide world of sports did Bondrewd go down there and go back up? I guess since he could take over multiple bodies, it's possible. I remember them saying there were problems with doing that between layers though. Also, if he went down there already, why'd he want to let them go down then? Thought it was so he could watch through Nanachi.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Damn

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dark_Cloud_Overhead said:

How do you replicate someone's soul? What the heck. And how in wide world of sports did Bondrewd go down there and go back up? I guess since he could take over multiple bodies, it's possible. I remember them saying there were problems with doing that between layers though. Also, if he went down there already, why'd he want to let them go down then? Thought it was so he could watch through Nanachi.

Yeah good point about Bondrewd seeing through Nanachi.  That part still isn't explained.  Or replicating a soul.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark_Cloud_Overhead said:

35 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah good point about Bondrewd seeing through Nanachi.  That part still isn't explained.  Or replicating a soul.

So Bondrewd developed tech that allows him to negate the Curse of the 6th Layer. He found that upon ascension, a person actually experiences as curse and a blessing. But the curse sort of drowns out the blessing. He takes children who he grooms into loving and admiring him, and packs their brain and vitals into a little suit case and wears them in a back pack that forces the curse on them and the blessing on himself, allowing him to ascend The 6th layer and maintain his humanity. He also has the Zoaholic, which allows him to possess multiple bodies, so he was either using that and leaving the bodies down there or using the suit cases. 

In terms of replicating someones soul, the power of The Village has the ability manifest desires I think. So sort of magical I guess but we will definitely learn more. 

In Dawn of the Deep Soul, Bondrewd allowed them to pass farther down because they proved that they were worthy of going and he did not want them destroying anymore of his facilities. I think they had a sort of pow wow off screen haha Bondrewd indeed can see through Nanachi's eyes but the main reason he wants them down there has something to do with the events that happen in The Abyss every 2000 years. He mentions how "preparations have been made for entering the next 2000 years" 

I have a feeling that some sort of show down or event is going to happen at the bottom or in the 7th Layer where everyone is going to meet up or confront whatever is happening every 2000 years. But who knows haha 

• Like 1

Owl, saw your confusion response so

To clear it up:

Like when Bertoldt said, "We just want two simple things", heh.

I was referencing to when Armin tried to press Bertoldt on whether or not they could talk instead of continue to fight during the big final S3 battle.

Bertoldt's answer was that their fate had already been decided and all they wanted were "two simple things", but those two things were ofcourse:

(1) Eren Jaeger (the Coordinate)

and

(2) The death of everyone within the Walls.

You know, two simple things, just like what that thing is asking for from Riko! 🤣

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Vueko just ditched them?

Nah, I'd say it's more like Riko and Maaa ditched her. And even then, I wouldn't call it "ditching", as Vueko refused to go in and Riko seemed understanding of that decision before going in herself.

Personally, the most unsettling thing about this episode was the vague implication that there was a scene of Reg being tracked down by the Turbinid Dragon that was cut from the previous episode. Which would suck, considering how good [as] has gotten about leaving in post-credits scenes lately. Everything else, even the stuff that's heavier than season 1, is par for the course, and the reactions to all that just feel forced IMO, even if they are legit. I'm just sick of hearing such repetitive responses without variety.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Everything else, even the stuff that's heavier than season 1, is par for the course, and the reactions to all that just feel forced IMO, even if they are legit. I'm just sick of hearing such repetitive responses without variety.

Are you talking about viewer reactions to all the adult themes?

3 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Are you talking about viewer reactions to all the adult themes?

Pretty much, but especially the ones that express disgust or concern that they're going on a watchlist just for watching something that was cleared for broadcast by S&P. They're warranted, yeah, but the frequency at which they're voiced has made them overplayed.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Pretty much, but especially the ones that express disgust or concern that they're going on a watchlist just for watching something that was cleared for broadcast by S&P. They're warranted, yeah, but the frequency at which they're voiced has made them overplayed.

I see. I certainly notice it and it is very annoying. 

I get it: they are children and they are engaging in very adult situations. But that is literally the ethos of the show. What is particularly annoying to me are people who will call it 'Made in Piss' or something clever and say you are going on a list, and then a few months later I will see the same accounts come back and make the same comments, obviously after further watching the series haha like if you do not like it and think it is pedophilia then do not watch it.

I notice it the most on Reddit. I think it is mostly just people who are trying to get on the gravy train that is Reddit's Karma system. 

And like, I get it further. The show has some very iffy scenes and the themes are certainly mature. Tsukushi himself is a weirdo and puts way too much of his kinks into the show. Yet he is very explicit in the fact that he puts scenes like that in the story to purposeful make the reader uncomfortable.  But you are not ending up on some list and it is not CP or anything. There are other shows out there that are arguably just as bad and much more accepted. 

I am really glad that it does not really happen here in the discussions on UEMB and we are able to have chill and fun discourse. 

End rant haha 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Yeah, you're not going on a watch list for watching Made In Abyss for goodness sake! And if you were, about 175,000 of us would be, and that's not happening.

In a more general sense, keep in mind Japanese women tend to be smaller and less voluptuous than American women, so female anime characters often LOOK juvenile past their canonical age. If people can watch hentai without getting on watch lists, surely they're fine watching Made in Abyss.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Yeah, you're not going on a watch list for watching Made In Abyss for goodness sake! And if you were, about 175,000 of us would be, and that's not happening.

In a more general sense, keep in mind Japanese women tend to be smaller and less voluptuous than American women, so female anime characters often LOOK juvenile past their canonical age. If people can watch hentai without getting on watch lists, surely they're fine watching Made in Abyss.

Even American stuff like the '88 version of The Blob and Stephen Kings It had children involved in very.. well, adult situations. 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Thanks 2

On 12/11/2022 at 1:48 AM, atomicinumatt said:

So Bondrewd developed tech that allows him to negate the Curse of the 6th Layer. He found that upon ascension, a person actually experiences as curse and a blessing. But the curse sort of drowns out the blessing. He takes children who he grooms into loving and admiring him, and packs their brain and vitals into a little suit case and wears them in a back pack that forces the curse on them and the blessing on himself, allowing him to ascend The 6th layer and maintain his humanity. He also has the Zoaholic, which allows him to possess multiple bodies, so he was either using that and leaving the bodies down there or using the suit cases. 

In terms of replicating someones soul, the power of The Village has the ability manifest desires I think. So sort of magical I guess but we will definitely learn more. 

In Dawn of the Deep Soul, Bondrewd allowed them to pass farther down because they proved that they were worthy of going and he did not want them destroying anymore of his facilities. I think they had a sort of pow wow off screen haha Bondrewd indeed can see through Nanachi's eyes but the main reason he wants them down there has something to do with the events that happen in The Abyss every 2000 years. He mentions how "preparations have been made for entering the next 2000 years" 

I have a feeling that some sort of show down or event is going to happen at the bottom or in the 7th Layer where everyone is going to meet up or confront whatever is happening every 2000 years. But who knows haha 

So that is how the cartridges worked.  I knew he was using them to avoid the curse or something but wasn't sure exactly.  I figured Bondrewd used the copies of himself to go down and then just left them there.  But, I had thought the whole reason Bondrewd wanted the kids to go down was so he could watch the progress through Nanachi, since he wasn't able to go down himself.  Since Bondrewd has already been to the sixth layer, it makes our heroes going down there a bit less satisfying now.

Ok, so are we getting away from everything being completely logical and explained in detail with this series.  Other things were explicitly explained how they worked, like the forcefield and curse.  But it seems like this is more just straight up magic now.

Oh, I didn't think about that.  Could be. So the characters from the flashback are from 2000 years ago?

On 12/11/2022 at 7:01 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Nah, I'd say it's more like Riko and Maaa ditched her. And even then, I wouldn't call it "ditching", as Vueko refused to go in and Riko seemed understanding of that decision before going in herself.

Personally, the most unsettling thing about this episode was the vague implication that there was a scene of Reg being tracked down by the Turbinid Dragon that was cut from the previous episode. Which would suck, considering how good [as] has gotten about leaving in post-credits scenes lately. Everything else, even the stuff that's heavier than season 1, is par for the course, and the reactions to all that just feel forced IMO, even if they are legit. I'm just sick of hearing such repetitive responses without variety.

Oh ok.  I think Vueko could have helped them out in there, but oh well.  I'm not sure how Riko and Nanachi will get out of this.  Oh, a scene was cut from after the credits last week?

On 12/11/2022 at 7:26 PM, PokeNirvash said:

I thought that comment (usually it's a joke,) is more reserved for fan service/ecchi series.  That is what most of the memes of FBI OPEN UP are derived from.  For Made in Abyss, the common comment should be more, this is a show that is going to mindfuck and traumatize for you life. xD I am never going to be able to get the image of the first person view of Prushka being vivisected out of my head.  But, I don't think the show is tormenting the characters and viewers for the sake of it, I hope, haha.  Overall the tone of the show is one of hopefulness, adventure, and friendship.

• Haha 1