UnevenEdge

Cartoon Network/Adult Swim president Michael Ouweleen talks the future of the network and focusing on targeting adults

Jman

1996 was a WEIRD time for Cartoon Network.  They were fumbling in the dark with a few originals and still relying on their legacy products for the majority of the schedule.  Saying they’re going back to 1996 isn’t exactly encouraging.

It’s been so many years now, it’s extremely difficult to envision CN going back an older demo. But, they do have the framework to do so. 

Cartoonito - this covers the early weekday morning preschool demo. I don’t know much, nor do I really care about preschool content, however it seems after a rocky start, this little block has found some solid footing. 

Cartoon Network - This has been the biggest problem area for the channel for about a decade now. Ignoring their programming diversity issues, they have cut their target demo to about 5-10 max. As the article states, things like Adventure Time had a more broad appeal up to teenagers and even young adults. 2010 was a big year for CN where they felt like they were trying to pivot hard to appeal to teenagers. 

Adult Swim - It’s had problems, but has also been pretty consistent in remembering who it’s loyal audience was. Aside from Toonami hours, I have never felt like AS wasn’t aiming at its intended demo. 

So what it sounds like they want to do is transform CN to a more broad appeal among ages. Actually materializing that goal is another matter, especially with how long CN has had its current reputation. Are they going to just throw hail Mary’s with original shows and hope they work out? Start up a classics block similar to the anniversary one? Air anime? They have stated their goal, it just feels unachievable. 

As for AS, while I don’t feel like it’s having an identity crisis, I do feel it’s having a content crisis. Countless shows have been cancelled this year, and I firmly believe some of the ones that haven’t been is through luck that they already had S2s greenlit before the cuts started. Excluding sequels and anime projects there is only ONE new show we have been told about this entire year, Royal Crackers. We are hearing them say they want more adult animation, but the nearly empty slate for AS original shows tells a different story. 

Id love to see change, especially on the CN side, but this is a pretty huge undertaking they are talking about.

9 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Heavily edited MHA and Witch From Mercury on CN weekdays confirmed.

Yes because when being slaughtered by streaming that’s the move you want to make.

What I honestly would want is the same sort of pipeline system World Premiere Toons was.  You need talent, real talent, not friends from social media, if you want original productions to make the grade.  You need to encourage that talent that your place is the place to stay.  Instead of chasing shows, like say, bidding on Hazbin Hotel or dumpster diving for Tuca & Bertie, you need to bring the talent to you so they can make their original ideas with you.

Also, don’t let Chris Savino be involved.

The median age of the Cartoon Network audience is 29? Safe to say kids grew up and didn’t stop watching.

You know what this young adult skewing Network ought to air? Close Enough and Infinity Train for two. Time to try Young Justice on linear again while they’re at it.

So Max won’t be making kids cartoons that CN won’t air because CN will be making whatever kids content that will end up on Max… what a concept!

I feel like this new “old” direction for Cartoon Network makes Adult Swim airing before 11pm kinda superfluous. Make it a block again and be willing to air the FOX shows and even some anime outside of it. They could probably get away with uncensored MHA, Naruto and One Piece even in the afternoon and early evening for sure. But as long as they have FOX reruns and American Dad, they won’t be giving weekdays 9-11pm to much else.

On paper this direction sounds like a dream come true for older animation fans and there’s a lot of potential for an unprecedented amount of creative freedom for show developers. It remains to be seen how they will actually try to build toward that goal.

Its rather comical that after all these years of killing shows because not enough kids were watching or not enough toys were selling that CN is more or less giving up on selling to kids 6-11.

Wonder if this is in any way influenced by seeing how Disney has been killing it with some quality shows lately. I mean, sure, they still do their share of literally killing said shows... but they've had several hits with broad appeal over the years that, despite perhaps not meeting expectations, still catch a lot of good buzz.

Good buzz is something CN kinda super needs these days. Some way of stepping out of being the "oh, you mean the Teen Titans GO network?"

They get a small, loyal fanbase, but they’re almost always commercial flops.  Looking at you Owl House.

It’s tough when there are more choices for entertainment with more cash behind them.  Not to mention games with pushes to make them seem like events -

A good pipeline that creates original content that draws people back is worth more than a thousand Owl House style shows, up their own asses but the casual audience is bored to tears.

On 12/9/2022 at 9:43 AM, Jman said:

They get a small, loyal fanbase, but they’re almost always commercial flops.  Looking at you Owl House.

etc

Commercial flop? Yeah, probably. Still a quality show? Better than anything CN's put out in recent memory.

And that's really the only point I'm making. If CN wants to draw in an older crowd, they're only going to do it with quality shows. Shows and creators that have an actual passion for what they create. That's how you create a fanbase that keeps the flame burning long after the show has ended. The good shows stick with you, and as you get older, you're more inclined to want more of that feeling, more that lives up to those memories.

Owl House may have flopped, but at least it's still keeping the Gravity Falls-ish spirit alive. (just kinda rolling with the idea in my head that Gravity Falls may have probably laid the groundwork for a lot of series that followed..)

CN's had some good hits, but they've completely failed in even trying to maintain that attention. Maybe even actively discouraged it with some of the things they dropped/canceled. They've definitely got some work to do to build that trust back up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Commercial flop? Yeah, probably. Still a quality show? Better than anything CN's put out in recent memory.

And that's really the only point I'm making. If CN wants to draw in an older crowd, they're only going to do it with quality shows. Shows and creators that have an actual passion for what they create. That's how you create a fanbase that keeps the flame burning long after the show has ended. The good shows stick with you, and as you get older, you're more inclined to want more of that feeling, more that lives up to those memories.

Owl House may have flopped, but at least it's still keeping the Gravity Falls-ish spirit alive. (just kinda rolling with the idea in my head that Gravity Falls may have probably laid the groundwork for a lot of series that followed..)

CN's had some good hits, but they've completely failed in even trying to maintain that attention. Maybe even actively discouraged it with some of the things they dropped/canceled. They've definitely got some work to do to build that trust back up.

The thing is, even despite what some corners of the internet think about TT Go, Cartoon Network doesn't have a credibility problem.  They have a viewership problem.  A lot of their shows are award winners, are lauded for their diversity and inclusion, and do well critically.  For instance, Craig of the Creek, a show Zaslav canceled and is apparently sending to tax-writeoff hell, has a 100% critic score and 81% audience score with its small, dedicated audience.

That means jack shit to Zaslav.

If the shows can't perform in the viewership metrics, they're worthless to this guy.  So what they need is fresh talent that will make mass market appeal shows, rather than stuff like Owl House which was very niche, very targeted, and great for credibility with critics because diversity.  Unfortunately, credibility doesn't pair down the debt.  And if you don't have the people who can make mass appeal shows, you need to find them, or provide them ways to enter your company.

I don't think we're completely disagreeing, because the core point is Cartoon Network needs fresh creators with new ideas.  The thing is those ideas are probably going to hem closer to Cow and Chicken than Amphibia.

• Confused 1

Let's meet in the middle and say we need more Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

Full credit, Craig of the Creek did seem like a decent attempt, but it did feel like it lacked a certain something to draw any attention. Almost like a weaker version of Codename: Kids Next Door.

Basically, needs a return to the old Cartoon Cartoon days. Which... looks like Genndy could be on board already? Might be a good sign.. coulda sworn he was burned by them before....

I ain't asking for, y'know, the next Steven Universe or anything. Just, hoping they raise the bar just a little bit over the Homer Simpson demographic.

• Thanks 1