UnevenEdge

11/26 lineup: ????

CountFrylock

The radio silence certainly is confusing. I don’t think many of us are expecting a new show on the 26th, but why hold back which show they are picking for this rerunathon? The only reason I can think of is, as you say, trying to pull together 3 hours of Kevin Conroy Batman. 

Or perhaps they want to announce the marathon and the upcoming midnight show on the same night. 

Id say we are sure to hear something tomorrow, but they very well may not and just let whatever is happening on the 26th happen with little to no promotion.

43 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

The radio silence certainly is confusing. I don’t think many of us are expecting a new show on the 26th, but why hold back which show they are picking for this rerunathon? The only reason I can think of is, as you say, trying to pull together 3 hours of Kevin Conroy Batman. 

Or perhaps they want to announce the marathon and the upcoming midnight show on the same night. 

Id say we are sure to hear something tomorrow, but they very well may not and just let whatever is happening on the 26th happen with little to no promotion.

the problem with the marathon idea though is the options are very limited

Not enough episodes for A MIA S2 marathon

a one piece or naruto marathon seems very unlikely

Primal's already airing as the rerun to conclude the block so a marathon would really be pointless....

if it was an MHA Marathon I'd feel like they would have said something already to pair that up with the announcement of Season 6 on toonami

9 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

the problem with the marathon idea though is the options are very limited

Not enough episodes for A MIA S2 marathon

a one piece or naruto marathon seems very unlikely

Primal's already airing as the rerun to conclude the block so a marathon would really be pointless....

if it was an MHA Marathon I'd feel like they would have said something already to pair that up with the announcement of Season 6 on toonami

Think bigger. As we saw with Halloween, they aren’t afraid to dust off a show they have lingering rights to. Marathon options don’t have to be limited to just what’s airing. 

Consider the following, we have 6 slots. Give us one extra slot for the night, and they can do TPN S2 5-11. 

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Think bigger. As we saw with Halloween, they aren’t afraid to dust off a show they have lingering rights to. Marathon options don’t have to be limited to just what’s airing. 

Consider the following, we have 6 slots. Give us one extra slot for the night, and they can do TPN S2 5-11. 

That would be horrendous.

They could certainly do a Punk Hazard marathon of One Piece.

Run a whole season of FLCL.

Run 6 episodes of GITS, Bebop or Attack on Titan.

They still have most of Black Clover on the app so maybe they can still air that.

And if MHA season 6 is actually coming then I figured plan A was to rerun the whole villain arc that night even if that’s redundant.

51 minutes ago, Sketch said:

That would be horrendous.

I know. That’s why I suggested it as a possibility. If you don’t expect something good to happen, it will be less disappointing when something less bad happens. 

Punk Hazard - we aren’t really deep enough into the arc for a marathon. It will just be a string of setup episodes with small blips of action. 

FLCL - They could do the original. I still suspect something prevents the reairing of the two new seasons, considering they have never done so besides right after airing each one. 

Bebop/GitS/AoT - All could work, maybe not Bebop since it’s already had a curated marathon in the past and we have watched the entire series this year.

Black Clover - sure, it would be the biggest curveball 

MHA - This was my expectation as well. But still not having it announced leads me to believe either Batman is tagging in, or their attempt at MHA S6 failed and they need a new plan.

7 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Or, y'know. Yashahime marathon.

I know they don’t expect much from a marathon night, but they can see as well as we can what viewer repellent the show is. It’s probably the absolute last resort choice in their eyes.

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I know they don’t expect much from a marathon night, but they can see as well as we can what viewer repellent the show is. It’s probably the absolute last resort choice in their eyes.

Even I'll admit it's not the best show, or even that easy a fodder, but let's just face it:

BoXUpyeCQAA2WhY?format=jpg&name=small

Ignoring it as an option outright because of that is straight-up stupid.

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Even I'll admit it's not the best show, or even that easy a fodder, but let's just face it:

BoXUpyeCQAA2WhY?format=jpg&name=small

Ignoring it as an option outright because of that is straight-up stupid.

It’s not an opinion at all. You can go ahead and pull up the ratings right now and verify my statement. Last week was the single exclusion. 

If they have all their options laid out on a table, it’s not unreasonable at all to point at one and say “hey that one gets shit ratings, maybe let’s try something different”. If you reread my initial state, you will see I didn’t disregard it entirely, just said it was likely a last resort. 

Anyway, it’s Friday evening now. There is always that slim hope of maybe seeing a surprise reveal of something on air, but that rarely actually comes to pass. I’m thinking if we are waiting this long, they probably aren’t just rolling out 3 hours of reruns for us. Batman? Regular schedule with a show doubled up? New show? The possibilities become more difficult to narrow down the longer we wait.

• D'oh 1

I’m admittedly just annoyed that Netflix announced their Junji Ito show after Toonami and it has a set release date, while Uzumaki is one delay away from being a Zaslav tax write off.

I don’t want to compare streaming to Toonami.  Fate keeps forcing me too!  Taking JoJo, Bastard!! being what people wanted out of an InuYasha sequel, and now Junji Ito.

Edited by Jman

15 minutes ago, Jman said:

I’m admittedly just annoyed that Netflix announced their Junji Ito show after Toonami and it has a set release date, while Uzumaki is one delay away from being a Zaslav tax write off.

I don’t want to compare streaming to Toonami.  Fate keeps forcing me too!  Taking JoJo, Bastard!! being what people wanted out of an InuYasha sequel, and now Junji Ito.

Simply having the Junji Ito show sooner doesn't mean it's gonna be good. The Junji Ito Collection was pretty awful.

But yeah Uzumaki could get shelved before completion and in that case Netflix wins by default.

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Yes it is. Ratings and critical input are irrelevant in this case, "Yashahime is a bad show" is an opinion and you fucking know it.

Ok, now point out where I explicitly said it’s a bad show. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely believe that it is, however prior to right now I never used “it’s a bad show” as a reason not to marathon it. My reason was “it’s viewer repellent” which it factually is based on ratings metrics. 

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Simply having the Junji Ito show sooner doesn't mean it's gonna be good. The Junji Ito Collection was pretty awful.

But yeah Uzumaki could get shelved before completion and in that case Netflix wins by default.

Waiting longer doesn’t necessarily mean the Toonami version will be worth a crap either. If anything, it greatly raises expectations for its quality, and after this many delays, it’s pretty much an unpleasable high. It could be a solid 9/10 and it’s still gonna make people say “we waited 4+ years for that?”

37 minutes ago, Jman said:

I think at this point Uzumaki is one delay away from being the latest Zaslav tax write off.  If it’s not out by June, it coming out at all is a major question mark.

Regardless of when it's finished, it won't air until October almost guaranteed. In June they'll probably be airing the 2nd of the two seasons of FLCL with the first airing in February or March.

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Ok, now point out where I explicitly said it’s a bad show. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely believe that it is, however prior to right now I never used “it’s a bad show” as a reason not to marathon it. My reason was “it’s viewer repellent” which it factually is based on ratings metrics. 

Waiting longer doesn’t necessarily mean the Toonami version will be worth a crap either. If anything, it greatly raises expectations for its quality, and after this many delays, it’s pretty much an unpleasable high. It could be a solid 9/10 and it’s still gonna make people say “we waited 4+ years for that?”

At the very least they are putting tremendous effort into translating Junji Ito's detailed art into animation which was a huge problem for the Junji Ito Collection. That won't assure the story will adapt well into 4 episodes of TV anime but it's certainly better than it looking as shoddy and campy as the Collection.

It will be tremendously difficult to live up to 4 years+ of development but it is what it is.

Regardless of when it's finished, it won't air until October almost guaranteed. In June they'll probably be airing the 2nd of the two seasons of FLCL with the first airing in February or March.

Honestly it’s wasteful to air it any other month but October, but I do wonder if the excessive delays may end up forcing their hand to air it immediately when ready. I suppose, the studio could be “working on it” till fall 2023 if they wanted to help us out with justification not to air it till the appropriate time. 

At the very least they are putting tremendous effort into translating Junji Ito's detailed art into animation which was a huge problem for the Junji Ito Collection. That won't assure the story will adapt well into 4 episodes of TV anime but it's certainly better than it looking as shoddy and campy as the Collection.

We hope that is what they are doing at least. After this many years with only a single piece of teaser footage, they could be snorting coke off hookers asses, all on Adult Swim’s dime. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

"Nielsen viewer repellent" let's get that straight....

i watch toonami most weeks but i know i don't contribute one point to the block because I've Never been part of The Nielsen Survey so by rating metrics I Don't exist as a viewer

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Honestly it’s wasteful to air it any other month but October, but I do wonder if the excessive delays may end up forcing their hand to air it immediately when ready. I suppose, the studio could be “working on it” till fall 2023 if they wanted to help us out with justification not to air it till the appropriate time. 

We hope that is what they are doing at least. After this many years with only a single piece of teaser footage, they could be snorting coke off hookers asses, all on Adult Swim’s dime. 

I'm Starting to think you might be that dude on twitter with the lame jason demarco twitter who made his entire identity shitting on toonami and demarco...

just a hunch...

Edited by CountFrylock

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I'm Starting to think you might be that dude on twitter with the lame jason demarco twitter who made his entire identity shitting on toonami and demarco...

just a hunch...

Yeah, the fact that his username is the same with the numbers jumbled makes that very likely.

5 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Yeah, the fact that his username is the same with the numbers jumbled makes that very likely.

plus he once made a tweet claiming he was me for some reason that went along the lines of "Hey Just so You Know I'm Countfrylock On The Unevenedge Boards" so he knows this place exists

why he came here though? I Have no clue.....bitching about ratings none of us have any control over and claiming that Yashahime is some putrid dumpster fire that offends most people just by existing is getting old

8 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

just a hunch...

I have no idea what you are talking about. I’m sorry you took offense to my suspicion that Uzumaki isn’t actually being worked on. That’s not even a dig at Demarco, it’s a dig at the studio that is “working” on Uzumaki. 

5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

bitching about ratings none of us have any control over and claiming that Yashahime is some putrid dumpster fire that offends most people just by existing is getting old

I’m hardly bitching about ratings. I pointed out a 100% factual assessment that Toonami viewers dislike Yashahime based on the fact that almost every single week it loses a huge portion of the audience, and even has more than one occurrence of shows after it gaining viewers, and how that fact may influence the crews choice to marathon the show, and two of you went insane. I think the issue here is we have a couple of Yashahime fans taking offense to the reality that their favorite show makes the audience tune out in droves. 

3 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

I am actually down for a Yashahime marathon. 

InuYasha is one of my faves back in the day, and although Yashahime does not live up to the OG, I still like it a lot. 

If you do not enjoy it then simply do not watch. 

You people have completely derailed the original discussion, which was theorizing what they are going marathon for 11/26. My personal opinions don’t matter here in the slightest. I made a simple statement about why out of all available options, Yashahime may not be high on the list, and people lost their minds. I also said Bebop would likely not be one of their choices and gave a reason, yet nobody got hysterical over that for some reason. 

I don’t really care which show they opt for, if it’s a rerun, I’m taking the night off as I usually do. If it’s Batman as some are suggesting, I’ll stick around. My only point this entire time has been the simple fact that Yashahime is a poor ratings draw, and thus a less desirable choice by the staff when they have multiple options that would be received better. It has absolutely nothing to do with my personal opinion of the show. If I loved Yashahime I’d share the exact same opinion that it would be one of the last choices they opt for. 

19 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

You people have completely derailed the original discussion, which was theorizing what they are going marathon for 11/26. My personal opinions don’t matter here in the slightest. I made a simple statement about why out of all available options, Yashahime may not be high on the list, and people lost their minds. I also said Bebop would likely not be one of their choices and gave a reason, yet nobody got hysterical over that for some reason. 

I don’t really care which show they opt for, if it’s a rerun, I’m taking the night off as I usually do. If it’s Batman as some are suggesting, I’ll stick around. My only point this entire time has been the simple fact that Yashahime is a poor ratings draw, and thus a less desirable choice by the staff when they have multiple options that would be received better. It has absolutely nothing to do with my personal opinion of the show. If I loved Yashahime I’d share the exact same opinion that it would be one of the last choices they opt for. 

Listen man, 

All I stated was my preference for what they schedule on the exact block that the OP is referring to. I am not sure how that is derailing, but I am not that intelligent of a person. 

In regards to the ratings, look: they are shit across the board, and nothing they air for this particular block is going to magically save it. The scheduling decisions for the immediate future will only effect ratings marginally. 

That is why I put forth my opinion that I would not mind a marathon of Yashahime. Batman or bebop etc., I gladly welcome anything. I will tune in regardless. If they make decisions that do not satisfy you then as you said, sit it out. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

Or maybe a GITS marathon in honor of the death of Aramaki's VA William Fredrick Knight?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-11-19/voice-actor-william-frederick-knight-passes-away/.191963

Nah, if they can get Batman: TAS, it would get better ratings!

If there is a 3rd Act of Yashahime and it involves Kagome's grandpa, it seems the role will need to be recast AGAIN!!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Or maybe a GITS marathon in honor of the death of Aramaki's VA William Fredrick Knight?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-11-19/voice-actor-william-frederick-knight-passes-away/.191963

Nah, if they can get Batman: TAS, it would get better ratings!

If there is a 3rd Act of Yashahime and it involves Kagome's grandpa, it seems the role will need to be recast AGAIN!!

This news, along with the news of KC passing really saddened me this week. 

GitS is definitely one of those anime where I prefer the dubs. I would love a marathon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I’ve asked Maki about it personally and I trust her when she says they’ve been working diligently on Uzumaki. She also mentioned the studio is animating it with a technique that unlike anything that’s ever been done before.

so made in abyss airs next week at it's usual time so a marathon isn't happening

but we haven't gotten an announcement for the new lead show which makes me think we're getting another rerun as the lead show or that time slot is getting cut

i can't see them announcing MHA S6 during naruto....and they'd have very little time to promote it if they did so in the middle of next week

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

so made in abyss airs next week at it's usual time so a marathon isn't happening

but we haven't gotten an announcement for the new lead show which makes me think we're getting another rerun as the lead show or that time slot is getting cut

i can't see them announcing MHA S6 during naruto....and they'd have very little time to promote it if they did so in the middle of next week

The normal schedule was absolutely not what I was expecting. But I welcome it with open arms. 

This means one of two things will happen. The lack of announced schedule implies they are willing to take whatever pickup they have on deck as close to the wire as possible. With the holiday weekend coming up, I’d say Tuesday would be the latest something could happen. If they can’t do the deal, they will start stall tactics. Luckily for them, One Piece is waiting in the wings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

so there was no announcement during toonami.....

Usually if you don’t see something on the first commercial break, there won’t be one. And surprise reveals have always been a rarity. I’d assume whatever they are working on is not ready to reveal. And with the holiday weekend coming in hot, I wouldn’t be surprised if Monday afternoon they announce a stall schedule.