UnevenEdge

Made in Abyss Season 2, Episode 1

Blatch

Just some questions before we start.  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Have you watched Dawn of the Deep Soul?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'll get to it at some point...
  2. 2. Would you care if I added a summary of the film to the OP?

• Yup!
    • Eh, I'll read TVTropes or something.
  3. 3. Is Nanachi cute as hell?

• Naaaa~
    • Nah.

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

If that whole party went down there, and possibly others, maybe they built some kind of civilization down there?  I mean, since they can't go back, and presuming they survived...

Yeah, maybe we'll find out, and what fucked up shit is here on the 6th Layer lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

If that whole party went down there, and possibly others, maybe they built some kind of civilization down there?  I mean, since they can't go back, and presuming they survived...

I am like 90% sure that there is a civilization down there at the bottom building all the tech/relics but who knows for sure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

I am like 90% sure that there is a civilization down there at the bottom building all the tech/relics but who knows for sure. 

Well, that civilization is ancient.  It wouldn't be the same as these people who went down.  Unless that party is from the ancient past.

• Like 1

Well that was not at all what I expected, but while I was a little annoyed at first (why would this kind of show have an extended sequence at sea?), I came around on it. Neat to get some background on the apparent first people to explore the Abyss, even before Orth was founded. And the way it interlocked with Riko, Reg and Nanachi's elevator ride to the sixth layer was cool. Looks like next week's episode is continuing with the subtle approach, focusing more on what it's like down here as opposed to the people who live in it. And it may or may not be directed by Michael Bay.

Knowing the stray whispers the plot that I do, one thing's for sure: at least one of these characters in the pre-Orth raiding party is doomed. Probably the indigenous girl, maybe the red-haired one. And I won't be surprised if the Senku look-a-like will be the one behind it all.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Well, that civilization is ancient.  It wouldn't be the same as these people who went down.  Unless that party is from the ancient past.

Spoiler

You also got to remember that it is hinted at that there are time shenanigans going on. There seems to be a dilation of time, where the farther you go down, the slower time passes for you as opposed to an observer on the surface. But how strong, or what the particular workings are have yet to be made clear. 

If this is in fact true, then it could be possible for people to travel to the bottom and have relatively little time go by from their perspective. I guess well have to wait for Tsukushi to hurry up with the manga to find out though. 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Well, I just finished watching the movie.  Is there any villain worse than Bondrewd?  What a sick bastard.  I would have thought he'd at least spare Prushka, since she was like his daughter.

I don't know he's being allowed to do whatever he wants, either.  The other White Whistles should have reigned him in.  But I guess there's not really any law and order in the Abyss!

And to top it all off, he didn't even completely die!  That last body he was in looked almost human.  Sure, his facility is wrecked and he can't proceed any further, but still, just kill that fucker!

And I never would have guessed that is where the physical white whistles come from!  Fucking hell!

Distressingly the whole point was to use that "love" for Prushka and her love for him to further his research. He's a real piece of work.

There's probably some in the organization that value his research no matter how twisted it becomes and it seems like most of the organization doesn't value human life much at all.

Yeah... white whistles are people. Makes you wonder WHO used to be Lyza's whistle? Was it Riko's father? All we know is that he died.

3 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Why the fuck would you watch it again?

I've seen that movie 3 or 4 times. It never gets any easier but I rewatch it with other people who haven't seen it yet.

• Like 6

I like the juxtaposition of the two stories going side by side. I think I heard the manga doesn't switch between the two.

We just had to start things off with sexual assault on a minor and... pooping.

Reg made a good point though, that pod is probably the safest place to take a dump.

Also the girl from the village that was considered worthless because she couldn't reproduce... I don't even want to know the answer for how the village figured that out.

Get ready to see many creatures shaped like genitalia and quite a few more gross moments! This season doesn't pull punches.

• Like 5

So I guess I will jot down some of my collective thoughts on the S2 premiere, even though I have seen it before. 

I had read the manga a few years ago before watching the anime, and I am of the personal opinion that the manga is slightly better, though the anime is pretty damn near perfect. The manga has this grittier feel to it and Tsukushi's illustrations are amazing. But one of the things that I thought S2 did better was the pacing. Especially how they integrated the flash backs of Ganja with our gang. I really like how the first episode balances out some flash back with picking up where Riko and Co. left off. 

I am really happy to hear Kevin Penkin's music again. The new OST is out now too, go give it a listen!

All in all I thought it was a good premiere and a 'classic' Abyss episode complete with all the gore, body horror and piss and shit to go along with the cute lovable chibi style haha but then again, to me, that is the appeal of The Abyss. You get drawn into all the cuteness and beauty but also have to bear with all the horrors and ugliness. Curses and Blessings. 

So fucking stoked on this Season and I will definitely enjoy watching it again! 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Like 2