UnevenEdge

Jason Demarco Will Be Less Transparent about his work(including Toonami)Moving Forward

unfortunately this is becoming all too common online and if nothing's done about this

then eventually nobody will want to interact with the fans online if they keep spamming them with hate messages and screaming at them 24/7

i blame everyone who probably sent death threats to demarco or called him every insult in the book on a daily basis and sent it to his twitter

they ruined a good thing for everyone else and i don't think the people who flooded him with threats and insults realize that

they didn't know how good of a thing we truly had with him being so transparent

Edited by CountFrylock

34 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

unfortunately this is becoming all too common online and if nothing's done about this

then eventually nobody will want to interact with the fans online if they keep spamming them with hate messages and screaming at them 24/7

i blame everyone who probably sent death threats to demarco or called him every insult in the book on a daily basis and sent it to his twitter

they ruined a good thing for everyone else and i don't think the people who flooded him with threats and insults realize that

Hah, imagine making a death threat over Toonami programming.

Just now, Daos said:

Oh my god this guy has a huge martyr complex.

The fans didn't bow to his wisdom and leadership? THE PEONS!

Oh Demarco you influential tastemaker you.

He Just got tired of random people screaming at him 24/7 and no doubt sending him death threats for stupid reasons

now's not the time to be acting like an asshole and shit-posting

if you think it is then you are dead wrong

• Like 1

Just now, CountFrylock said:

He Just got tired of random people screaming at him 24/7 and no doubt sending him death threats for stupid reasons

now's not the time to be acting like an asshole and shit-posting

if you think it is then you are dead wrong

Lol how many people were actually sending him death threats. I mean I'm sure there's a couple, since the internet is full of crazy people and you can't say "I like water" without someone threatening your life, but really.. how common was this?

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Daos said:

Hah, imagine making a death threat over Toonami programming.

people make death threats over someone developing a video game they thought was poorly made so how's this any stranger?

when someone's life is so terrible that they can only gain satisfaction from making everyone else miserable

they'll make threats about anything and try to play it off as legit even though it's all an act to bring everyone else down to they're level and make them feel just as shitty as they do on a daily basis

46 minutes ago, Daos said:

Lol how many people were actually sending him death threats. I mean I'm sure there's a couple, since the internet is full of crazy people and you can't say "I like water" without someone threatening your life, but really.. how common was this?

probably common enough for him to become less transparent about his work moving forward

i doubt it's just because some people said he was doing a bad job...He's been getting those kind of tweets for years now and he never decided to talk less about the inner workings of toonami over it

so there's something more to this than simply the average negative comments we're using to seeing or hearing about

whatever the case maybe...moving forward we're on our own in terms of speculation

we won't know what toonami can or can't get because demarco is done with providing us those details

one thing i will say is that this tweet chain coming out shortly before a new schedule announcement is depressing as it feels like we might be losing a time slot and not getting anything if demarco's already acting like this

Edited by CountFrylock

I don’t blame the man for choosing not to engage on Twitter, I would have recommended that years ago at this point.

When so many people have made up their mind not to trust that you know what you are doing, what’s the point in saying anything?

That said, I have an unfortunate feeling that he just posted this now because bad news is coming, be it another rerun or a slot cut. Personally I hope it’s another rerun rather than a slot cut because I don’t want to see those smug asshats who expect a slot cut because of the promo flub a while back to be right.

Hell, I remember weirdos tweeting death threats towards a voice actor's child (I think it was Laura Bailey, maybe?) because she played a villain in a game that did bad things.

And like, yeah sure a couple of gross weebs screaming insults at you isn't the most concerning thing in the world. But still, if you're not actually required to deal with that shit, and it's because of this optional thing you choose to do in your own free time, it's totally reasonable to just take your ball and go home. That's exactly what happened with Hero Academia's manga translator; he got fed up with people bitching because the official version wasn't exactly like the shit-tier scanlations, and being accused of having a bias against certain characters (no, you really don't have to be biased against Endeavor to make him look bad, he does that enough on his own) that he junked his twitter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

I don’t blame the man for choosing not to engage on Twitter, I would have recommended that years ago at this point.

When so many people have made up their mind not to trust that you know what you are doing, what’s the point in saying anything?

That said, I have an unfortunate feeling that he just posted this now because bad news is coming, be it another rerun or a slot cut. Personally I hope it’s another rerun rather than a slot cut because I don’t want to see those smug asshats who expect a slot cut because of the promo flub a while back to be right.

not looking forward to the schedule announcement because i just know it's gonna be something that gives people like this more fuel and makes them feel justified in screaming at jason demarco everyday on twitter

Edited by CountFrylock

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

not looking forward to the schedule announcement because i just know it's gonna be something that gives people like this more fuel and makes them feel justified in screaming at jason demarco everyday on twitter

They (probably Mitty from Reddit) is among the people counting on Toonami to lose a slot and will definitely remind everyone that they’ve been expecting this ever since the first airing of the lineup promo used the wrong time.

25 minutes ago, Sketch said:

They (probably Mitty from Reddit) is among the people counting on Toonami to lose a slot and will definitely remind everyone that they’ve been expecting this ever since the first airing of the lineup promo used the wrong time.

yeah I've noticed that some people were banking on a time slot being cut ever since that schedule promo used the time and the silence around AC's replacement has made  them very confident that's gonna happen

the person in question responded "if the upcoming schedule is trash  on top of this tweet'  we don't have much to speculate on  it's simply not going to improve"

they've been shouting that toonami's on its last leg without Crunchyroll and that they can't even depend on Sentai due to the mystery around the amc buy-out

so if a time slot cut is announced they'll tweet that the block is dead and we're all wasting our time thinking otherwise

everything lately just seems to be giving them the idea that they were right all along and everyone else was an idiot who just couldn't see the truth

Edited by CountFrylock

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

I’m thinking the slot cut may happen. I think the blame is increasingly on external factors they can’t control. One could argue they should’ve seen it coming, but when one company controls so much anime what can you do

However, it’s time to move on from trying to get CR shows and start looking within at what’s actually obtainable. Even if it’s a DC show, something fun from the library, a Sentai title. I hope they still aren’t trying to get unobtainable things and not having backup plans 

It is what it is. People will be let down if we have another show go unreplaced. It’s a dissapointing thing. I’m hoping there’s some understanding at that rather than “You don’t like it..don’t watch! If you don’t work in TV you have no idea what’s going on”. It’s an understandable bummer 

But at this point, this stuff shouldn’t suprise us anymore 

Edited by brianycpht

Tony Khan is extremely transparent about his work and his wrestling shows on other Turner networks have been successful in the ratings, might just be the boost Toonami needs to land itself back on the map. If Toonami is losing a slot anyway why not lose it to a popular lead-in with a large audience which includes many anime fans? It is a new era. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I’m thinking the slot cut may happen. I think the blame is increasingly on external factors they can’t control. One could argue they should’ve seen it coming, but when one company controls so much anime what can you do

However, it’s time to move on from trying to get CR shows and start looking within at what’s actually obtainable. Even if it’s a DC show, something fun from the library, a Sentai title. I hope they still aren’t trying to get unobtainable things and not having backup plans 

It is what it is. People will be let down if we have another show go unreplaced. It’s a dissapointing thing. I’m hoping there’s some understanding at that rather than “You don’t like it..don’t watch! If you don’t work in TV you have no idea what’s going on”. It’s an understandable bummer 

But at this point, this stuff shouldn’t suprise us anymore 

i don't think WB/Discovery is gonna allow them to touch any dc shows unless they need to promote something  i don't see that changing anytime soon

so it's all on viz/sentai really

This doesn't seem to be very good news.

The irony is that PRIMAL seems to be doing pretty darn good in the ratings right now. Doubling that up for a couple weeks might be preferable to a slot cut.

Hopefully if a slot IS cut, it's just the 3:30 AM slot. If Lupin is inheriting 12:30 and One Piece IS moving up to 1, it's a shame they never reused that "shanty" promo, which mentions 1:30, one more time!!

Edited by OwlChemist81

44 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

This doesn't seem to be very good news.

The irony is that PRIMAL seems to be doing pretty darn good in the ratings right now. Doubling that up might be preferable to a slot cut.

Hopefully if a slot IS cut, it's just the 3:30 AM slot. If Lupin is inheriting 12:30 and One Piece IS moving up to 1, it's a shame they never reused that "shanty" promo, which mentions 1:30, one more time!!

i don't think they'll be doubling up primal as that would require them to replace it sooner and given how things are with toonami right now

a replacement isn't guaranteed

this is the most uncertain time for the block and nobody knows what they can or can't acquire anymore

which means moving forward it's  just gonna be pointless fan speculation that leads to nowhere if the show never airs

because without full confirmation that it's not gonna happen You'll have people shouting "Any Day now this show will be on the block!"

Yashahime S2 might be coming or it might not

that's how uncertain and bizarre things are right now

what were once guaranteed shows might be tied up in crap that toonami doesn't want to deal with or can't deal with

Edited by CountFrylock

I still have hope for Attack On Titan Final Season Part 3 next year to conclude the series, because Toonami seems to have right-of-first refusal over AOT.

I have similar high hopes for MHA Season 6, Dr. Stone Season 3, and Fire Force Season 3, though those may not be dub premieres. But no question Toonami is going through a rough patch right now when it comes to acquisitions.

But I think 2 years ago was FAR more uncertain. I believe because this is similar, and because it HAS been longer-lasting, it seems a bit more concerning.

Edited by OwlChemist81

8 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I still have hope for Attack On Titan Final Season Part 3 next year to conclude the series, because Toonami seems to have right-of-first refusal over AOT.

I have similar high hopes for MHA Season 6, Dr. Stone Season 3, and Fire Force Season 3, though those may not be dub premieres. But no question Toonami is going through a rough patch right now when it comes to acquisitions.

MHA S6 Fire Force S3 and Dr Stone S3 are less certain because those would require them to work with crunchyroll

something I'm not sure is even possible because that requires sony to come to the table and since they control so much of the anime distribution market

i can see them declining

and i agree toonami's in for a rough patch when it comes to pick up's especially since there's only so many originals they can air in a year and they have a limited amount of reruns they can actually air without needing a new contract to be written up

so reruns could only buy them time for so long before they run out of reruns they still have the rights to air on television

Edited by CountFrylock

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

But I think 2 years ago was FAR more uncertain. I believe because this is similar, and because it HAS been longer-lasting, it seems a bit more concerning.

If you haven't experienced the ACTN Dark Age that was 2007 through 2012, when we had only three new show pickups per year if we were lucky, ADV/Sentai and FUNimation locking down most of their stuff on their premium linear channels, and the most incompetent programmers known to man - seriously, who in their right mind thought putting Geass and Moribito premieres at 5AM, no matter how hard they stunk in the ratings beforehand, was a good idea!? - then you know not the true meaning of the words "uncertain" and "concerning" as spoken in the same breath.

• Like 2

I was under the impression DeMarco was already doing this. Probably the right move, although I haven't followed him for years.

It would be funny if this is in advance of a rerun and/or the block getting cut down. I'm getting the impression that Toonami is doing better than it has in a couple years, and the newly-merged Warner Bros./Discovery wants to help the block grow. But hey, times are tough, and a full hour of Primal for a few weeks wouldn't be a bad thing... for me, anyways.

8 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

If you haven't experienced the ACTN Dark Age that was 2007 through 2012, when we had only three new show pickups per year if we were lucky, ADV/Sentai and FUNimation locking down most of their stuff on their premium linear channels, and the most incompetent programmers known to man - seriously, who in their right mind thought putting Geass and Moribito premieres at 5AM, no matter how hard they stunk in the ratings beforehand, was a good idea!? - then you know not the true meaning of the words "uncertain" and "concerning" as spoken in the same breath.

That whole mess happened in the early fall of 2008. And to make matters worse, Syfy was airing the thrilling conclusion of Gurren Lagann at a very watchable 11 PM Monday nights, while [as] was airing Bleach filler and FMA reruns on Saturdays at 11 PM while burying Code Geass and Moribito at 5 AM! That DID kinda reverse in 2009, with Clone Wars taking the lead, Bleach for a full hour at 12:30, and Moribito at 1:30, but soon FMA took over the 1:30 and 2 AM timeslots, knocking Moribito back down to 2:30 for its conclusion, which aired once, never streamed, and aired no more!

Also, during that 2nd half of 2009, THIS promo aired, and although it was completely condescending, at the time ASA fans were GLAD to get it: 

Damn, that WAS the Dark Ages!! :D

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Well, I'd rather Demarco stay silent than listen to more of his bullshitting.  He can say he doesn't lie, but he he has definitely pulled more than a few "from a certain point of view."  Remember when he said "I'm sure Boruto will be back at some point," then later said they have no plans to bring it back?  Now, I was actually glad Boruto wasn't coming back, but it's still yet another case of him being full of crap.

He also probably should have done this before be publicly complained about Sony.  That was just foolish.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:40 PM, CountFrylock said:

Did Demarco ever say anything about this?  Is there any evidence of this, or are you just pulling it out of your ass?

I mean I'm not sure if you can really call it transparent.  Mostly it consisted of Demarco bullshitting, passing the buck every time something went wrong, but accepting praise when good things happened, and dancing around stuff because even when being "transparent," there was some stuff he would never be able to talk about.  Except publicly calling out Sony and probably putting Toonami in an even worse position.  That was a really smart move.

• 2 weeks later...