UnevenEdge

Shenume: The Animation Season 1 Finale Episode #13 "Shenmue" Discussion!!

VideoCapture_20220430-231719.thumb.jpg.a9207cd72b54ec390e66ebd6559a96a0.jpg

I was messing with trains.  Things did not go to plan.  The back yard is not level and the trains don't like hills!  Just got done putting the stuff that can't get wet under cover at 7 minutes after, just in case the low chance of rain hits this area.

What happened in the first seven minutes before Ryo fought Dou Niu?

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

Hahaha, looks like the anime skipped the big "walk and talk" portion of the game, where you walk at normal pace all the way back to Shenhua's house, and discuss everything about each other possible. 

Other portions you have to run quickly before it gets dark, so you can camp and not get attacked by wolves.  And the QTE sound effects are more "calm" and not heart attack inducing. xD

Just now, OwlChemist81 said:

So I guess this is setting up Season 2!

...which would be following Shenmue III and whatever the hell Sega makes beyond that!

Rumors of Shenmue IV announcement coming soon.  That would explain why the anime was randomly made now for no reason.

• Like 2

I haven't played Shenmue III yet, so this isn't a SPOILER, but I had a theory that Xiuying's brother was Lan Di.  But, this would mean he would have to have three different names, and his REAL real name is that of Xiuying's brother.   So, it's probably not true, haha.

Ok, final episode of Shenmue, here we go.

And I automatically wished that I heard this instead -

This final episode seems to be mixing the finale of Shenmue II (the helicopter and fight on the rooftop) and III (Ryo finally coming to blows with Lan Di but proving unable to defeat him).  As a game ending III's ending was shit, but as a cliffhanger to a first season, it actually kind of works.  Just as long as they don't repeat it.

Wong tossing.  That sounds wrong if you say it a certain way.

And now all the lessons come full circle because...this is a kung fu movie.

And so the cycle of revenge goes on.  

So this whole time, Lan Di was after treasure?  That's what this was all about?  He killed a man for revenge, and money?  It makes his pursuit of revenge seem even pettier, which...actually kind of works given this whole series' viewpoint on revenge.  "Revenge, the most worthless of causes."  It does explain why Ren wants to tag along, he wants the treasure!

And here come the goodbyes to people we won't be seeing in the next game.  

"Yeah, your brother and I fought.  I beat his ass.  He wore some weird makeup and outfit."  (At least I think that was her brother).

That's one way to introduce Shenuia.  A goat.

This entire show was named after a tree.  A tree.  Sure, why not?  I'll file that under the "reasons Yakuza made it big in the US but Shenmue is a cult hit."

The Story Goes On.  Except you know, the Crunchyroll buyout has completely killed any chance of this getting a Season 2.  At least Sega's Yakuza movie hasn't been cast yet.  Actually, at the rate things are going Sega is going to make a Persona movie next to their planned Streets of Rage movie.  Where was I going with this?  Right, the story goes on.  Just probably not in animated form without a new buyer.

And that was Shenmue: The Animation, which is the best Crunchyroll original by a mile, although that is such a low bar to clear you could probably just step over it by lightly raising your foot.  It condenses Yu Suzuki's frankly obtuse vision of an open world game that boiled down to a detective simulator into a kung fu movie that makes the hilariously robotic characters seem more human, thanks to more competent dubbing and tighter pacing.  Its weaknesses are the games weaknesses, namely the meandering that is a decent amount of Shenmue II's mid-game.  And of course, the cliffhanger, which seemed like a great idea before the Crunchyroll buyout.

Compared to Onyx Equinox and High Guardian Spice though, it's the freaking 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 2

Yeah, I wouldn't say there's no chance whatsoever of a S2 to this show, but Crunchyroll's aparent schism with Toonami means it won't happen soon. Maybe it'll resolve itself once the lawyers sort out the paperwork. And it's especially annoying since I was really intrigued by the finale. Ryo meeting his partner in justice was really satisfying, and I liked the integration of more mystical elements, such as Ryo placing the mirror in its right place, and the sword the Chinese girl is going to use that apparently represents the whole of her father. On the other hand, it's made this entire season feel like an extended prologue to the really good stuff. I wanna see these two characters duke it out with Lan Di! Too bad Shenmue III doesn't have that.

And a bonus comment: finding out that the two mirrors hold the key to a massive treasure vault gave me Fena war flashbacks. Hopefully this franchise has better ideas for this plotline than that show did with the weird hunk of crystal.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 10:21 AM, Jman said:

"Yeah, your brother and I fought.  I beat his ass.  He wore some weird makeup and outfit."  (At least I think that was her brother).

Neat, so I'm not the only one who got "that's totally Xiuying's brother" vibes off that masked dude.