UnevenEdge

Jason Demarco Just Gave out some bad news for toonami fans

Well darn.

That said, AOT and One Piece are probably "grandfathered in". As would be new seasons of shows like Fire Force. I imagine Yashahime falls in there too.

But what's clear from this news is they're gonna have to work directly with the Japanese distributors for stuff like Gundam from Sunrise/Bandai. And of course air more Sentai stuff. Probably also Discotek would be a decent ally for stuff like Black Rock Shooter.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Once yet again, it's never anything positive with you.

Okay let me just say this.....you come in here claiming that I'm crying and overreacting over nothing

but Demarco clearly stated that yes the merger has affected the ability for them to acquire shows and if getting anything from funimation(now part of crunchyroll)has become that much more difficult

they'll need to rely upon sentai titles and viz content a lot more moving forward

I'm just sharing the message....I'd be positive all the time if there was happy toonami news all the time

but that's not really been the case(at least for me anyways)

I Like AC S2 and Shenmue has turned out to be the best of the originals so far

but Doubled Up One Piece has only reminded me how much i hate that shows pacing(...really don't want MIA Replaced by a third episode)

Edited by CountFrylock
  • D'oh 3

3 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well darn.

That said, AOT and One Piece are probably "grandfathered in". As would be new seasons of shows like Fire Force. I imagine Yashahime falls in there too.

But what's clear from this news is they're gonna have to work directly with the Japanese distributors for stuff like Gundam from Sunrise/Bandai. And of course air more Sentai stuff. Probably also Discotek would be a decent ally for stuff like Black Rock Shooter.

AMC Is the wild card in all this because we still don't know what exactly they plan to do with the sentai content...just leave as it is or ingrate into AMC+

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Made In Abyss seems to prove that despite being a cable competitor they're still willing to work with Toonami. I guess we'll know for sure if Food Wars Season 5 or something else from Sentai pops up. Now might be Break Blade's big chance!

regardless....i gotta ask could a sentai filled toonami block work?

I've seen Hidive before and a lot of it....not too sure if it would be to the toonami crowd's liking

some of it yes...but there's also a lot of stuff that wouldn't gel well with the block or it's audience

such as it's plethora of romance titles

Edited by CountFrylock

On 4/3/2022 at 7:30 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Once yet again, it's never anything positive with you.

While I sympathize, CountFrylock has been posting some non-dooming threads lately, like one about Toonami's then-upcoming look. Therefore, on technical grounds, I can only give this post a like. And besides, these juicy downbeat posts tend to get more responses anyway. I don't mind constructive discussion, even if it's negative.

Given that Toonami was able to air a show as great as Made in Abyss, I trust them on being able to fill the block with good stuff somehow. For starters, I haven't seen anything that says the Crunchyroll behemoth is going to deny Toonami any and all shows they have. There may come along a series that gets so big CR might want to give it extra TV exposure. Sentai should also be willing to work to get their shows on TV despite their new corporate owner. And I really like the Discotek suggestion, though given that they've always specialized in physical releases I don't know what they might have the TV rights to, or if they even chase those things at all.

• Thanks 1

Blatch, you have a point. If they only have the home video rights, it may take going back to the Japanese distributor to get the TV rights to get stuff like Black Rock Shooter on Toonami.

Hopefully Sentai will be willing to play ball with the new season of Lupin. If they're willing to drop a One Piece temporarily, a Lupin hour leading into that would be interesting. Part 6 at 1:30 moving up to 1 when Ass Class ends, and Part 1 at 2 AM moving up to 1:30 then.

23 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

If they're really gonna deal with Sentai more, then Danmachi is really the only big name show they got left to put on the block for the time being.

that's the thing...sentai doesn't have a lot of Major shows to keep a block filled if it came down to just them

• Confused 1
  • D'oh 1

Meanwhile, AEW's roster continues to expand without enough time to feature all talent across the two other Turner stations that broadcast their content.

And they've recently acquired another wrestling company in Ring of Honor which is expected to eventually air a weekly show on a different network than AEW...

Hmm, maybe I'll @ this DeMapco guy and ask if he's interested in acquiring some wrestling? I know lots of people here have certainly been clamoring for a live wrestling show on Toonami for quite some time now. 

• Haha 1

No, not ON Toonami. But LEADING IN to Toonami would be IDEAL.

BUT maybe think outside the box a little? Have T.O.M. and S.A.R.A. appear on screen and comment briefly on the in-ring action we just watched at like 11:30 PM before a rundown of Toonami's topicals and other promos for the week, or maybe a lineup promo?

If [as] were to actually air an AEW/ROH live or clip show, it could easily be [as]'s biggest ratings driver for the week. It should also be filled with references to other [as] shows, including Toonami. For example, imagine Luchasaurus wearing a PRIMAL shirt to the ring! Or "alien" Kris Statlander and Rick & Morty? The possibilities are endless...

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 9:24 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Hopefully Sentai will be willing to play ball with the new season of Lupin...

Well lookie there! Kinda called it!

I mean, we're not getting that new dub of Part 1 (at least, not yet), but at least after this week, Lupin is back on the block!

And granted, unlike the last 2 Parts of Lupin to grace the Better Cartoon Show, it isn't a dub premiere, but who really cares?

LUPIN IS BACK, BABY!!!

This may come as a bit of a surprise, but I have absolutely no qualms with American Dad being a direct lead-in to Toonami with 90 minutes or even 2 hours. Next best thing to Family Guy, and first proved itself as a competent lead-in to [as] ACTN in 2010 when the Bleach Amagai arc got huge ratings at Midnight.

That said, Rick & Morty is a lot weaker lead-in than American Dad, but if they HAVE to air it right before Toonami, AT LEAST it's only half an hour this way. I would rather it air after Futurama and lead-in to AD, but whatever.

Edited by OwlChemist81

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

This may come as a bit of a surprise, but I have absolutely no qualms with American Dad being a direct lead-in to Toonami with 90 minutes or even 2 hours. Next best thing to Family Guy, and first proved itself as a competent lead-in to [as] ACTN in 2010 when the Bleach Amagai arc got huge ratings at Midnight.

That said, Rick & Morty is a lot weaker lead-in than American Dad, but if they HAVE to air it right before Toonami, AT LEAST it's only half an hour this way. I would rather it air after Futurama and lead-in to AD, but whatever.

I wish they’d put Futurama right before Toonami but at least it airs after it.

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well lookie there! Kinda called it!

I mean, we're not getting that new dub of Part 1 (at least, not yet), but at least after this week, Lupin is back on the block!

And granted, unlike the last 2 Parts of Lupin to grace the Better Cartoon Show, it isn't a dub premiere, but who really cares?

LUPIN IS BACK, BABY!!!

Unless the dub is added to HiDive soon, the Part 6 dub will actually premiere on Toonami like Parts 4 and 5. Part 6’s dub might not even be on HiDive soon. For all we know, Toonami will have an exclusive window for a little while. But it’s equally likely that the dub will be on HiDive the next day or next week.

• Thanks 1

I thought the dub was already on HiDIVE--I am happy to stand corrected!

Thanks, SENTAI!

Now the next mystery is: "What do we get in the Midnight Hour on May 7th?" BOTH Shenmue and AOT end April 30th...

But I'm willing to bet the 1 AM hour becomes the Sentai hour after Ass Class ends. After all, its Season 1 was essentially replaced by Food Wars! Third Plate, so Season 2 could have a similar fate.

Edited by OwlChemist81

On 4/9/2022 at 11:42 PM, CountFrylock said:

now the question remains what replaces shenmue and attack on titan....

Food Wars S5 will probably replace attack on titan(it's dub is already on hbo max)

The Sentai lineup is admittedly not the thickest one, but there’s gotta be something dubbed on there.

This is the admitted problem with your competitors just throwing money at studios.  “Make a movie!  Make an Ultraman show!  Etc.”

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jman said:

The Sentai lineup is admittedly not the thickest one, but there’s gotta be something dubbed on there.

This is the admitted problem with your competitors just throwing money at studios.  “Make a movie!  Make an Ultraman show!  Etc.”

with funi/cr merged it doesn't make things any better....whatever replaces shenmue and aot will tell us what's toonami working with

if we don't see any Crunchyroll content then it's probably a good sign that relationship is over and we can consider stuff like dr.stone season 3/my hero academia season 6 never coming to the block

• D'oh 2

9 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

with funi/cr merged it doesn't make things any better....whatever replaces shenmue and aot will tell us what's toonami working with

if we don't see any Crunchyroll content then it's probably a good sign that relationship is over and we can consider stuff like dr.stone season 3/my hero academia season 6 never coming to the block

e617a22edd211605792cd0aa1f7bb3ed.gif

That said, I'm guessing Yashahime S2 and Food Wars: Fifth Plate for Toonami's next pickups.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

And AOT Final Season Part 3??

C'MON, MAN! Demon slayer is a special case in which it wasn't known that there would be a 2nd season. But if you don't think Toonami has some sort of right-of-refusal on those, you're nuts!

10 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

And AOT Final Season Part 3??

C'MON, MAN! Demon slayer is a special case in which it wasn't known that there would be a 2nd season. But if you don't think Toonami has some sort of right-of-refusal on those, you're nuts!

I'm just saying with demarco saying Yes when someone asked if the merger is affecting toonami's ability to acquire shows

i wouldn't think Demon Slayer S2 would continue to be the exception

AOT Has that contract that means it absolutely must come to toonami before it streams.....

i don't know why i keep being downvoted and treated like I'm just screaming "The Block's dead waaaah! the block's gonna be canceled"

when it's no secret getting shows from crunchyroll has been difficult if not outright impossible in the cases of stuff such as mob Psycho 100 S2

I Don't think the block's screwed but if you take out crunchyroll then toonami has to get very creative with what they show as Sentai doesn't have anywhere near the credible catalogue that crunchyroll does

Edited by CountFrylock

Japanese companies will probably insist MHA and Dr. Stone air on Toonami even if Adult Swim doesn’t have first right to refusal on either.

There’s really no telling what might replace Shenmue and AoT but if neither spot goes to a Sony licensed show that would seem to imply that Sony is blocking more than just Demon Slayer season 2. However, it might also be a matter of Adult Swim not seeking out any of Sony’s licenses that the companies could actually come to an agreement on. Toonami does tend to focus on the current big fishes when they aren’t chasing down their favorite franchises or directors (Lupin, Gundam, stuff from Watanabe, etc).

No matter what it looks like from our perspective, it’s no doubt more complicated than Sony simply not wanting to do any future business with Adult Swim.

I’d sooner believe that DeMarco, Austin and Manning are choosing not to consider a wider range of options than I’d believe Sony outright refuses to lease them anything. But I’m also very willing to believe Sony has upped the price of all their titles or at least the popular ones and they know Netflix would be willing to pay it for the sloppy seconds once Crunchyroll gets the benefit of the first run of a simulcast/simuldub.

But I suppose it is equally likely that they intend to keep more titles as exclusives for Crunchyroll long term. Still I don’t think they’d be unwilling to let some shows go to Netflix or Toonami as additional exposure points.

A Sentai Studios powered Toonami is an interesting prospect and I’d kind of like to see it. It would feel a lot more like pre-2016 before they indulged in getting every Shonen Jump series that seemed feasible. Nothing in the Sentai catalog could really work as a long-term headliner but original series will more often than not be the headliner this year and next year. They could potentially make do with a short Sentai license leading the block when there isn’t an original on hand. Though maybe they’ll be more inclined to hand the lead spot to YashaHime or even Food Wars since (story quality aside) they could probably do in a pinch.

Either of those or a number of Sentai licenses could hold the fort as well as basically anything Sony has aside from Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer. Really those two are the only newish Jump Shonen that would potentially match MHA’s performance on Toonami. So does it even matter if Sentai doesn’t have many exceptionally popular anime for Toonami to pick from?

At any rate, it will be interesting to see what they do the rest of this year.

Edited by Sketch
  • Thanks 2

On 4/17/2022 at 3:40 AM, Sketch said:

Toonami does tend to focus on the current big fishes when they aren’t chasing down their favorite franchises or directors (Lupin, Gundam, stuff from Watanabe, etc).

This was enough to make me wonder: do you think we'll see any HD remasters of Gundam shows on Toonami? And if so, which one do you think would come first? I don't know how possible it is, but I'd like to see G Gundam air on the block, as its self-contained story and different tone compared to the rest of the series would work best. Wing would work better as nostalgia bait but I can't see viewers taking to it, and if Sunrise (or whatever they're called nowadays) really wanted to be bold, they could even air the 1979 original, but I don't know what that would accomplish outside of making up for the show's original run getting screwed because of 9/11. Of course, they also have that new series coming out with the female protagonist plus a new season of Iron-Blooded Orphans, so I bet we'll see one of those come first.

On 4/17/2022 at 3:40 AM, Sketch said:

A Sentai Studios powered Toonami is an interesting prospect and I’d kind of like to see it. It would feel a lot more like pre-2016 before they indulged in getting every Shonen Jump series that seemed feasible. Nothing in the Sentai catalog could really work as a long-term headliner but original series will more often than not be the headliner this year and next year. They could potentially make do with a short Sentai license leading the block when there isn’t an original on hand. Though maybe they’ll be more inclined to hand the lead spot to YashaHime or even Food Wars since (story quality aside) they could probably do in a pinch.

First of all, hell yeah, but I do wonder if AMC calling the shots means Sentai might be limited in some capacity. We probably won't be screwed unless anime starts to air on their flagship. I also forgot about YashaHime. Viz is still very much a player in the industry, but I don't know if they still have their catalog titles from at least ten years ago. What was the most notable thing they licensed? Blood Lad? Well, other than Bleach, and lest anyone forget, it's still got a final season in the works. Hopefully Toonami is still able to do business with their leftovers and table scraps.

23 hours ago, Jman said:

IIRC it was promotional material for a mobile game.

Thank god.  That second season of Iron Blooded Orphans was such an abomination.  Ruined only the SECOND Gundam show I actually liked outside of G Gundam! 

To quote Excalibur - FOOLS!

And AVGN - What were they thinking?!

Edited by ben0119
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this editorial on Crunchyroll and I find it interesting that it highlights Megalobox 2: Nomad and SSSS.Dynazenon while also name dropping One Piece, Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho and Assassination Classroom. Specifically mentioning Megalobox and Dynazenon? Granted Gridman and MB season 1 did simulcast on Crunchyroll while their sequels didn’t and were only just added to CR but I can’t help but notice the coincidence.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2022/05/05-1/recs-check-out-these-11-shonen-series-now-on-crunchyroll?utm_source=community_cr&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=news_en&referrer=community_cr_twitter_news

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Why is that not embedding properly?

Edit - Nevermind, it is now.  It must not have loaded correctly for me the first time.

Anyway, that doesn't inspire much confidence, but at least Demarco said something.  Not sure what the talented people thing refers to.  Does he think people will do business with him out of sympathy?  Or he thinks only fellow industry professionals or artists and creators can understand him and his crew?

Edited by ben0119