UnevenEdge

Toonami Special: "The Return" Discussion

3ngag3

23 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

what's even weirder is Demarco stated they had to desperately stretch the budget to make this happen and....this could very well be the last Toonami event unless the budget improves

I thought he said before there weren't going to be events for a long time.  It's cool to have the old ship back and I guess this was an explanation for the transition, but it all seems like a waste of money on their current budget.

This TIE felt less like an actual cool thing and more an excuse for Toonami to refresh their packaging, because they've done so a lot since the block returned. And the new Absolution is neat, but it feels more like nostalgia bait than anything. At least the implication I got is that TOM and SARA are on a mission to do... something, and they'll keep broadcasting cartoons for at least 250 more years. Also, when I saw the old SARA looping her animation in the cockpit, was I the only one expecting the return of Sally Timms?

Really, most of my problems with Toonami right now have to do with how frugal things have gotten. At least Shenmue got new music and a lead-off bump for its new set, but Made in Abyss is still stuck with the weirdo issue of having two music sets. And they didn't even include clips from past Episode 8. Not to mention, there's been an utter dearth of goodies. We haven't even gotten a new game review since early January, and those have been ubiquitous on the block. Heck, there have been hardly any music videos on the block lately, and those take even less effort to put on. I know I'm sounding pretty complainy right now, but really, I just want to know what's keeping the Toonami staff cooped up and unable to do any of this? Hopefully things improve now that the two TIEs are done, which I guess is a nice thing that might never happen again. I wasn't expecting TOM 6 to actually have a TIE of his own, given that they said The Forge would be the last big Toonami thing for a while, so this was better than nothing.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

This TIE felt less like an actual cool thing and more an excuse for Toonami to refresh their packaging, because they've done so a lot since the block returned. And the new Absolution is neat, but it feels more like nostalgia bait than anything. At least the implication I got is that TOM and SARA are on a mission to do... something, and they'll keep broadcasting cartoons for at least 250 more years. Also, when I saw the old SARA looping her animation in the cockpit, was I the only one expecting the return of Sally Timms?

Really, most of my problems with Toonami right now have to do with how frugal things have gotten. At least Shenmue got new music and a lead-off bump for its new set, but Made in Abyss is still stuck with the weirdo issue of having two music sets. And they didn't even include clips from past Episode 8. Not to mention, there's been an utter dearth of goodies. We haven't even gotten a new game review since early January, and those have been ubiquitous on the block. Heck, there have been hardly any music videos on the block lately, and those take even less effort to put on. I know I'm sounding pretty complainy right now, but really, I just want to know what's keeping the Toonami staff cooped up and unable to do any of this? Hopefully things improve now that the two TIEs are done, which I guess is a nice thing that might never happen again. I wasn't expecting TOM 6 to actually have a TIE of his own, given that they said The Forge would be the last big Toonami thing for a while, so this was better than nothing.

Warner Bros.

That's it, that's all it comes down to. Warner Bros.

On 3/27/2022 at 2:02 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Personally, I think it was TOM saying the Absolution was destroyed 19 years ago (2003) when the last time it ever showed up before now was seven years ago (2015) that took me out of it.

That ship that was destroyed in 2015 was the Absolution II.

This is the Return of Absolution I.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:45 PM, Blatch said:

Blah blah blah...

...utter dearth of goodies. 

...more blah blah blah

DEARTH of goodies my BUTT!

What the hell was Cosmo Samurai 2? Chopped Liver?

THAT'S why we haven't seen a video game review since January. Unless they show an OVA with a really weird runtime like Hellsing Ultimate IV or the Lupin Part 5 OVA, a TIE is pretty much all the "goodies" they can do for a week.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Well, the drought started prior to Cosmo Samurai 2. I guess I forgot the custom of not doing normal goodies whenever a TIE is airing; my rationale against this was going to be that the Toonami crew had little to do with the actual production of this one, but I think I'm being too greedy. Let's hope for something good tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

Well, the drought started prior to Cosmo Samurai 2. I guess I forgot the custom of not doing normal goodies whenever a TIE is airing; my rationale against this was going to be that the Toonami crew had little to do with the actual production of this one, but I think I'm being too greedy. Let's hope for something good tonight.

Probably gonna be the Made In Abyss 1-hour finale promo!

• Thanks 1