UnevenEdge

Lyza came back to the surface after Riko did?  What?

She came back and then left, so Riko wouldn't be influenced by her?!

She put leader in charge of watching Riko?

Lyza doesn't even look grown up herself.  

This whole time I thought Lyza got stuck in the Abyss after she gave birth to Riko.  But she actually did come up and then left again.  What a mother!

• Like 2

Just now, OwlChemist81 said:

Only 5 episodes left! This show is getting WILD!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/made-in-abyss/episode-8/.120588

Great review this week! An "A-", and probably quite deserving, since the titular "Survival Training" was REALLY glossed-over.

WE GO...ON TO ONE PIECE!!

Yeah it was odd that of the training wasn't even shown.

Just now, ben0119 said:

She didn't tell her that her mother abandoned her.

Yeah, that's the one part she left out even though Lyza was ok with telling her, almost like she didn't want to mess with Riko's view of her and her quest to go down there and meet her.

Why was Riko stillborn? Was that just nature, or the Curse of the Abyss...

...or perhaps Lyza and Riko are so alike it isn't even funny. In other words, perhaps Lyza HERSELF is similarly a reanimated corpse, and the only baby she could give birth to would itself be stillborn? Not saying that Lyza was also stillborn, but perhaps she died in adulthood and was brought back similarly?

So many mysteries, and it looks like we may only scratch the surface in the first season, but luckily more is coming out later in 2022!

That sequence near the end of this episode with Ozen explaining some of the Abyss's finer points is so good. It blows my mind to think that there's something tangible down in the seventh layer, when the sixth is the point of no return and even the fifth seems like a place with little info. I really want to keep watching this show after the Toonami run ends, though while the continuation movie will be fair game, I don't think the second season's coming out until the summer. And even then, it probably won't be dubbed for a while. It's been such a treat to watch this show, which Sentai did a really good job on, on American TV. 😇

• Like 1

I have seen the entire season, and I agree with your seeming reaction in that things get pretty bleak. On the other hand, when I tried rewatching it with the dub, I chickened out after the tenth episode. Ain't gonna happen this time.

• Like 1