UnevenEdge

Ugh, windows update fucked my laptop again

little_girl_lost

1 hour ago, Distortedreasoning said:

can rollback to the previous update? look under settings>update and security>recovery. then there should be a roll back to the previous version of windows. worth a shot if you havent tried. 

She probably would if she could get it to boot.

9 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Did you get the blue screen of death?

Is the blue screen of death even still a thing?

BSODs still happen, but Win10 has it so that the computer immediately starts a data dump procedure to send to MS (if you opted in), provides you with a QR explaining what is going on and then attempts a reboot. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, little_girl_lost said:

Exactly..

I'm taking it to the computer place today.

Gonna sound dumb, but when we had issues at work with Dell & IBM laptops going dark, we'd just undock or unplug and pull the battery for a few seconds.  Then reverse the process.

It always worked.

Forgot - you could also check the CMOS battery. 

Edited by tsar4

1 hour ago, tsar4 said:

Gonna sound dumb, but when we had issues at work with Dell & IBM laptops going dark, we'd just undock or unplug and pull the battery for a few seconds.  Then reverse the process.

It always worked.

Forgot - you could also check the CMOS battery. 

i'd usually take the battery out, but on this laptop, you hafta take the whole bottom panel off to get to the battery and all my patients goes out the window when i hafta keep track of several tiny screws

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, little_girl_lost said:

i'd usually take the battery out, but on this laptop, you hafta take the whole bottom panel off to get to the battery and all my patients goes out the window when i hafta keep track of several tiny screws

Scotch tape comes in handy for those screws.  Just sticky enough without leaving residue.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, little_girl_lost said:

I bought on of those cheap Home Depot plastic screw organizers for that.  MacBooks have  shit ton of screws of different lengths to deal with.