UnevenEdge

Blade Runner: Black Lotus 2-Part Premiere Discussion!!

Unpopular opinion probably, but overall I thought it looked pretty good.

Yeah the character models on their own are merely decent (Elle's is the best so far thanks to seeing some of those rather expressive facial expressions later in the two eps and how she looks with all the extra shadowing and lighting), but they seem to blend in pretty well and I thought the environment (and touches like all the moving fog, etc.), materials, and objects looked quite good and the lighting and shadows are pretty strong.

Edited by DangerMouse

17 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah the character models on their own are merely decent (Elle's is the best so far thanks to seeing some of those rather expressive facial expressions later in the two eps and how she looks with all the extra shadowing and lighting), but they seem to blend in pretty well and I thought the environment (and touches like all the moving fog, etc.), materials, and objects looked quite good and the lighting and shadows are pretty strong.

The lighting and scenery look good, but they're making it dark to try and hide the flaws with the CGI. I have a feeling we won't see much sunlight in this.

• Like 1

If the show debuted last month, it would be a decent CG show but nothing groundbreaking, which is a bad look for something associated with Blade Runner anyway.

Now? It’s competing against a raised bar.  This seems to be a major issue with Toonami, beaten to the punch in quality and timing by opposition that doesn’t always bat a thousand and has quite a bit that could be considered straight up crap (oh hai Yasuke) but seems to absolutely crush it when it matters.

• Like 1

I'm about 5 episodes into Arcane and it is on a totally different level. The show in general gets 10s across the board. It's a visual feast for the eyes and the writing is an A++ as well. Why they didn't make something similarly great within the Blade Runner universe is disappointing as hell. I would have loved a pure cyperpunk setting created in this art and animation style. Riot has a literal masterpiece on their hands and have seriously upped the bar for video game related television and animation in general.

Edited by saito34
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, saito34 said:

I'm about 5 episodes into Arcane and it is on a totally different level. The show in general gets 10s across the board. It's a visual feast for the eyes and the writing is an A++ as well. Why they didn't make something similarly great within the Blade Runner universe is disappointing as hell. I would have loved a pure cyperpunk setting created in this art and animation style. Riot has a literal masterpiece on their hands and have seriously upped the bar for video game related television and animation in general.

I have not seen Arcana as I have very little interest in League of Legends.  I haven't played the game and don't ever plan to.  But maybe I should check it out.

Yeah Blade Runner deserves better than this.  If the CGI wasn't going to work well (generally a safe bet,) why wouldn't they just do a traditional anime?  That could've looked great.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:58 AM, DangerMouse said:

Dude there are videogames that look better than this.

On 11/15/2021 at 4:27 PM, Jman said:

If the show debuted last month, it would be a decent CG show but nothing groundbreaking, which is a bad look for something associated with Blade Runner anyway.

Now? It’s competing against a raised bar.  This seems to be a major issue with Toonami, beaten to the punch in quality and timing by opposition that doesn’t always bat a thousand and has quite a bit that could be considered straight up crap (oh hai Yasuke) but seems to absolutely crush it when it matters.

It's some glorious original that Demarco has created yet again, eh?  They don't seem to be very good at this.

10 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I have not seen Arcana as I have very little interest in League of Legends.  I haven't played the game and don't ever plan to.  But maybe I should check it out.

Yeah Blade Runner deserves better than this.  If the CGI wasn't going to work well (generally a safe bet,) why wouldn't they just do a traditional anime?  That could've looked great.

I have never played the game in my life. It's fantastic on its own. The reviews are mostly all 10s. I just hope they keep it accessible to people who dont play the game like it is now.

• 2 weeks later...