UnevenEdge

Blade Runner: Black Lotus 2-Part Premiere Discussion!!

2 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Sure. 

It feels like it's channeling some GITS (and Alita). Makes sense since the anime version of GITS definitely channeled some Blade Runner and then 2049 had some GITS in it.

Definitely. Elle reminds me of the Arise version of Major quite a bit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

It looks very dated, like an old videogame cutscene.

Actually Blizzard circa 2003 was putting out CGI cutscenes that looked 10x better than this. It looks ok... just really dated.

It looks better than Gen Lock but that's a really low bar.

5 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Ok but you would think Blade Runner would deserve better than this.

I mean Production IG did it to their owned prized property with SAC 2045. There's obviously some type of financial/production related calculation being made that trumps artistic integrity.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, saito34 said:

I mean Production IG did it to their owned prized property with SAC 2045. There's obviously some type of financial/production related calculation being made that trumps artistic integrity.

I guess so.  Because I would have expected a lot better production values than this.  It sure as heck is not going to get casuals or people who are fans for the Blade Runner movie to watch this.  People like us are more tolerant of this sort of thing, being animation fans.  But, this still doesn't look great.  Pretty disappointing.

25 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I guess so.  Because I would have expected a lot better production values than this.  It sure as heck is not going to get casuals or people who are fans for the Blade Runner movie to watch this.  People like us are more tolerant of this sort of thing, being animation fans.  But, this still doesn't look great.  Pretty disappointing.

I'm not a fan of the CGI trend at all. This is probably the only show where I'm willing to overlook it and admittedly it is not exactly terrible.

When DeMarco announced some new projects on Twitter a month or so back the CGI topic was the first thing that came to mind and several other people chimed in about it too. Apparently there's a whole labor related aspect/controversy to it as well. Animators overworked and under paid etc.etc. That topic was brought up directly to DeMarco.

12 minutes ago, saito34 said:

I'm not a fan of the CGI trend at all. This is probably the only show where I'm willing to overlook it and admittedly it is not exactly terrible.

When DeMarco announced some new projects on Twitter a month or so back the CGI topic was the first thing that came to mind and several other people chimed in about it too. Apparently there's a whole labor related aspect/controversy to it as well. Animators overworked and under paid etc.etc. That topic was brought up directly to DeMarco.

I still don't understand how CGI technology hasn't been able to mimic anime art styles for a fraction of the cost of actual hand drawn animation.

Does it really require us to develop quantum computers powered by nuclear fusion for this? Are we going to colonize Mars before we figure this out?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Daos said:

I still don't understand how CGI technology hasn't been able to mimic anime art styles for a fraction of the cost of actual hand drawn animation.

Does it really require us to develop quantum computers powered by nuclear fusion for this? Are we going to colonize Mars before we figure this out?

It's certainly something I'm interested in getting answers to and you would think the tech would be capable of doing better than what we're seeing right now. I just think ultimately there's an artistic, human, hand drawn touch that you might never be able to automate with silicon.

If you look at something like Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse, which is the best looking animated movie I've ever seen, that is essentially cgi with tons of cutting edge compositing and FX on top of it. I just don't know how you get around the man hours needed to create that super polished look. The new  Arcana show on Netflix has a similar look to Spiderverse and I'm hoping that look might replace this low rent cgi stuff that is everywhere right now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

SANZIGEN seems to be on the right track with it, at least.

Yeah, they've done some good work, I also liked their underrated work on their solo show Bubuki Buranki, had some Kill la Kill flair to it thanks to sharing KLK's art director. Also for cell-shaded stuff like that I quite liked Graphinica's work on Expelled From Paradise at the time. At the time they made some nice improvements on the current work on the style as they actually started experimenting with something like squash and stretch to start making it more dynamic like traditional anime which they've continued to use in their later work.

For this smoother more purposefully CG style more like Black Lotus two of the best looking so far I recall are Harlock: Space Pirate and Kingsglaive and/or Gantz:0. Lupin the Third: The First was also pretty good looking recently.

Edited by DangerMouse