UnevenEdge

'old timey' recipes

discolé monade

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Spread frosting on the cake while it's still warm?

here's the trick. a crumbing layer. let it cool, then put 2nd coating on. perfect. 

doing it warm with this cake, allows the icing to cool then crack. 

at least that's what i'm thinking. i'm making this soon. 

wanted to last couple years and never did. but this year's the year. i'll let you know. 

29 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

here's the trick. a crumbing layer. let it cool, then put 2nd coating on. perfect. 

doing it warm with this cake, allows the icing to cool then crack. 

at least that's what i'm thinking. i'm making this soon. 

wanted to last couple years and never did. but this year's the year. i'll let you know. 

Could be.  I learned the hard way that trying to put on the crumb layer too soon doesn't tend to work out.  Even that layer melted off of the cake. 

Edit:  Don't give me that look.  I was fucking impatient chicken, man.

Edited by scoobdog
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Could be.  I learned the hard way that trying to put on the crumb layer too soon doesn't tend to work out.  Even that layer melted off of the cake. 

ok. that's not at all right. i just re~read. 

the cakes should be cooled. 

the icing needs to be warm. 

caramel cake is the same way. 

edit...ok i did say cool in the above. 

Edited by discolé monade
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, discolé monade said:

ok. that's not at all right. i just re~read. 

the cakes should be cooled. 

the icing needs to be warm. 

caramel cake is the same way. 

Shit.  That makes more sense.  It says 10 minutes which still isn't nearly enough time to cool, but yeah I totally also missed that.

I don't know if it's considered 'old timey' but I make my own elderberry syrup [ since it's suddenly a thing again ]. 

1 tablespoon dried elderberries

1 tablespoon dried ginger bits

1 tablespoon dried cinnamon chips

Fill small pot with water, toss dried bits in, bring to boil and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 5 minutes while stirring to keep things from clumping or burning on the bottom. Turn off heat, cover, and let steep for at least 30 minutes. I usually go for 45. Pour through cheesecloth and strain all liquids out. Stir honey into the mixture to taste, making sure it dissolves. Store in fridge to keep fresh longer. 

It's not always easy to get cinnamon in chip form around here so I have a marble mortar and pestle to get everything to the size I want.  

• Like 2

wife made pasty tonight. as someone who ate it a lot as a kid up north and never gets the chance to eat it down here, i think she did a great job. my old uncle george would  have been proud. so anyways, the amazing (bastardized from conrwall) wisconsin pasty:

shortcrust pastry laid into pie platter
fill with sliced potatoes, hamburger, tenderized round steak (cut in 1" cubes), sliced onions (all raw btw)
add lots of butter...like at least half a stick, sliced 
salt & pepper to taste
cover with another shortcrust pastry, pinch edges to make a pie
bake at 350F for 90 minutes

cut that baby up and serve it like a pie...with more butter some ketchup

traditional recipes call for these to be made as a single-serving handheld meal, with the pastry being filled on only one half, then folded over and pinched to make a D shape. these could be packed out and eaten on the fly, which was great for the old lead miners of sw wisconsin. i like the pie version myself, because it just makes more and you don't eat with your hands.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

wife made pasty tonight. as someone who ate it a lot as a kid up north and never gets the chance to eat it down here, i think she did a great job. my old uncle george would  have been proud. so anyways, the amazing (bastardized from conrwall) wisconsin pasty:

shortcrust pastry laid into pie platter
fill with sliced potatoes, hamburger, tenderized round steak (cut in 1" cubes), sliced onions (all raw btw)
add lots of butter...like at least half a stick, sliced 
salt & pepper to taste
cover with another shortcrust pastry, pinch edges to make a pie
bake at 350F for 90 minutes

cut that baby up and serve it like a pie...with more butter some ketchup

traditional recipes call for these to be made as a single-serving handheld meal, with the pastry being filled on only one half, then folded over and pinched to make a D shape. these could be packed out and eaten on the fly, which was great for the old lead miners of sw wisconsin. i like the pie version myself, because it just makes more and you don't eat with your hands.

so, a sheppard's pie hot pocket? i'm digging it. 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, discolé monade said:

so, a sheppard's pie hot pocket? i'm digging it. 

more or less, yeah. there's no ... gravy? ... sauce? ... not sure what word fits best there ... anyways, it's not as much liquid in a pasty as there would be in a shepherd's pie, but otherwise a pretty similar experience.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 6:22 PM, scoobdog said:

Shit.  That makes more sense.  It says 10 minutes which still isn't nearly enough time to cool, but yeah I totally also missed that.

coca~cola cake, not a winner in this house. i made it, but no one touched it. XD oh well. 

but my 'hoppin' john' was on point, this year. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i think i'm going to try a lemon cake roll. i'll post pics IF it's a success.)

i made butter yeast rolls the other day, and my take on shephard's pie, using brisket. 

**no lemon cake roll, no white chocolate to make a lemon ganache. 

went with brownies with choco chipsnuts, rest of white chocolate chips ~ not enough for the ganache. 

Edited by discolé monade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this bit of weird qualifies as an old timey recipe. :D I was working my way through some old newspapers and found this bit, published April 17, 1922 - 

"We understand that the Associated Co-operative Moonshine Manufacturers Association of Grafton recently had trouble within its ranks and competition became so strong for a few days that the price of Moon fell down to a dollar per quart, and most everyone in the village out east got to celebrating the event. After a few days of this the producers got together again on a scale of prices.

Pursue a wild bullfrog thirteen miles, carefully gathering the hops, then add ten gallons pickle brine, two quarts shellac, one bar homemade soap, one pint sweet spirits of nitre; boil mixture three weeks, then strain through an I.W.W. sock to prevent working. Bottle and add one jackass to each pint to give it the proper kick."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, stilgar said:

I ended up cracking the code to my grandmoms chocolate cake that no one has been able to make for years.

the cocao is always important. 

for everyday choco cake, hershey's 

but i would love to buy some pricey cocoa to see if there's a big difference 

and what was it? crisco? making sure to add the vanilla last? 

i know you're not giving anything up. :)

OOOOH wait, something i want to try now, i had to chop the chocolate fine. i was using a grater, i think i would like to try that in a cake(?)

so, i was going to make chocolate toffee cookies. 

i messed it up. i forgot 1/2 c butter, and added an egg (added egg, because couldn't figure out why dough was SO stiff. -_- )

now, i'm not sure, but i'll be damned if these don't taste like extra chocolatey-chewie-brownies. 

they're like a cookie, that's a brownie, that's actually a cookie. 

i'm calling them:

browkies.

*cooknies. 

**crownies. 

Edited by discolé monade
nope. nope#2