UnevenEdge

anyone else just not seeing the "labor shortage"

nameraka

3 minutes ago, nameraka said:

positions that might be a step up

Well there's your issue. 

I'm pretty sure the labor shortage is mostly affecting "Real" jobs that are some combination of entry level, physically demanding, and low paying. 

Edited by Nabreezy

13 minutes ago, Nabreezy said:

Well there's your issue. 

I'm pretty sure the labor shortage is mostly affecting "Real" jobs that are some combination of entry level, physically demanding, and low paying. 

well... I have always wanted to deliver pizza...

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, nameraka said:

Nearly half of American companies say they're short on skilled workers. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/25/economy/business-conditions-worker-shortage/index.html

Idk what all these companies claiming this are but I think a majority of these skilled jobs going unfilled are occupations like nurses/healthcare workers and plumbers and construction workers and skilled manual laborers and stuff like that, moreso than white collar sit-down email jobs. 

Edited by Nabreezy

5 hours ago, GuyBeardmane said:

It's almost like all the companies who are short on labor also don't want to pay people.

I've been yelled at for using the phrase "labor shortage".

"It's not a labor shortage, it's a wage shortage."

Which I can't really argue with that.

• Like 1

We are currently short about 20+ seasonals [ and it's possible for a seasonal to become part-time / full-time here because we do lose people over the holidays due to winter graduations so seasonal is actually a good thing to be because you get the hours and the training and if you are good, you could stay on ]. We are also paying more per hour than most of the other hirings in the area for seasonal / part-time. But we get applications that look like they were filled out with a crayon, incomplete applications [ just putting your name and partial phone number on there doesn't count as an application ] , applications listing 5 jobs in 4 months, applications stating they want full time pay but list availability as a few hours a couple of days a week - NO WEEKENDS, and of course the dude who turned in an application and then showed up high as a kite and tried to stab people because he wasn't being allowed to shoplift shit. 

Just because it doesn't look like there's a shortage doesn't mean there isn't one. It just means the current employees are running their asses off in order to keep up appearances. -.-;

45 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

What I'm seeing mostly is, "here's a x job, but the description is a job doing x, y & z (and maybe a couple others)...but we'll only pay you for the x job".

When I was doing wage research on the area in order to try for getting our starting wages raised [ which at least worked even though we still can't get decent people in ] , there were places that wouldn't even say what they were going to start at or what would be required because pretty sure they were changing their starting wage based on the person's looks and gender and didn't want anyone to officially state that was happening.

Hey Taco Bell. Just say your official starting wage and be done with it. You serve powdered meat product with hot sauce. The job isn't a state secret and neither should what you are willing to pay be. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

When I was doing wage research on the area in order to try for getting our starting wages raised [ which at least worked even though we still can't get decent people in ] , there were places that wouldn't even say what they were going to start at or what would be required because pretty sure they were changing their starting wage based on the person's looks and gender and didn't want anyone to officially state that was happening.

Hey Taco Bell. Just say your official starting wage and be done with it. You serve powdered meat product with hot sauce. The job isn't a state secret and neither should what you are willing to pay be. 

LinkedIn had an article taking companies to task for not posting salary ranges.  The comnents, mostly HR people & a few CEOs agreed that it was a bad practice.  The reason I always heard for not posting was that it was a "trap" question.  If the applicant asked for too much they either thought too much of their abilities or didn't do the research on the going rate.  Too low, and the applicant doesn't feel they are worth much.

I just started a new job and found out by talking about my pay that I was making more than my supervisor who was training me who got hired a couple months before me. Needless to say they immediately threatened to quit immediately if they didn't get a raise which they of course got. 

Sheisty shit.

There is no "labor shortage". Employers just don't want to pay a living wage. Pay people a living wage and they'll work--SIMPLE. Raise the minimum wage to $33 an hour whether anyone likes it or not, and index it to inflation from there. That's what the wage would be if worker pay kept pace with CEO pay. But Reagan and the Boomers who voted for him just had to keep wages stagnant. And for what? So they could kneecap their own descendants--Generations X, Y, and Z--and tell us it was for freedom? Fuck Reagan, fuck conservatives, and fuck the Boomers who sabotaged things for us younger generation people!

"Personal finance"? You can't "personal finance" your way out of depressed wages! That shit is telling the peasants to eat cake because they don't have bread.

1 hour ago, tsar4 said:

LinkedIn had an article taking companies to task for not posting salary ranges. 

There's a bill moving in the NY legislature (I would expect it to pass next year) that would require employers to disclose a salary range upfront when posting job openings.

A couple years ago they banned asking for prior salary history, on the grounds that it is used to undercut low earners which creates a repeating cycle.

23 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

There's a bill moving in the NY legislature (I would expect it to pass next year) that would require employers to disclose a salary range upfront when posting job openings.

A couple years ago they banned asking for prior salary history, on the grounds that it is used to undercut low earners which creates a repeating cycle.

Every job should be straight forward about what they will start you at. Let there be room for advancement / raises based on actual performance but be upfront about that starting wage. If you can't, you look like you are trying to hide something and it's probably something that would bite you in the ass the second it goes public.  

We don't ask about prior salary at my store. It's not considered remotely relevant to getting hired because we tell you up front what the starting wages are for seasonal / part time and full time. If anything goes up for the average employee starting, everyone goes up. After the wage research resulted in raising the starting wages for people, everyone non-management who was already working got insta-raises too to match the new normal.