UnevenEdge

What Anime Are Truly Mainstream In The United States?

CountFrylock

i ask because I see too many people online just thinking because something's popular

that means it's automatically mainstream(For example Jujutsu Kaisen Or Demon slayer)

Do You Agree or Disagree? and regardless what anime do you think would qualify as Mainstream?

Edited by CountFrylock

I Can't really say outside the obvious because to me mainstream means The Average American has a good chance of encountering the series somehow someway and hearing about it

because of that i don't really know what to say about demon slayer

since I Don't wanna make any assumptions by claiming the average american has heard of demon slayer and would be familiar with it

when i don't know that for sure

Edited by CountFrylock

Ones with the most exposure in US would obviously be ones like DBZ, Pokemon, and OG Naruto. Also the original Yu-gi-oh. Then there's the hipster ones like Cowboy Bebop.

Aside from those, don't really know. I don't really keep up with a lot of the new anime that comes out, and typically only watch no more than a couple new series a year at most. Haven't watched Demon Slayer, but MHA is definitely pretty mainstream. I don't think it has the exposure the ones mentioned above had, since I don't think the average American is likely to have heard of MHA compared to others, but I'd say in the teen to 30's range is aware of it to some capacity.

What do we want to consider mainstream, when something becomes so popular that even a large number of non anime fans are aware of it?

Naruto, DBZ, MHA....Inuyasha definitely was at the height of its popularity. Pokemon, AOT, RE Zero. One Punch Man. Maybe Death note? A lot of people are aware of it due to the terrible movie. One Piece and Jojo definitely are in Japan. Evangelion. Kill La Kill and Gurenn Lagan.

Obviously DBZ comes in first, Pokemon second and everything else a distant third.

If you’re familiar with anime, DBZ, Naruto, Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, My Hero Academia, and Black Clover might be the ones that are currently still big in America. Jujutsu Kaisen is starting to get big, but I’m not sure if it’s as mainstream since it’s newer.

If you’re talking about the Average Joe though, I think they’d only be familiar with DBZ, MHA, and Naruto. 

8 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

This thread reminds me of a fan reply from an old Answerman column.

q2.jpg

I'll give him a B for effort, since he managed to predict JoJo's surge in popularity, mainstream or no, by way of one of Araki's other works.

I remember back in 2013 when Baoh showed up in the PS3 JoJo game and I got my hopes up for a possible DavidPro OVA for Baoh. 

3 hours ago, Daos said:

Yeah I thought people didn't like Sakura?

With Google searches, I wouldn’t be surprised if they counted “Sakura Haruno is useless” or “Why is Sakura Haruno worse than Danzo” in the algorithm.

She’s one of the few shounen waifus whose hatebase is more passionate and devoted to her than her fanbase. 

2017’s uptick could be chalked up to her milfy redesign in Boruto, but I imagine everything during Shippuden was unbridled hatred. 

Edited by Chapinator_X