UnevenEdge

Jason Demarco has bad news for his haters

I wonder how long he knew about this. I sounded futile to try and produce a consistent amount of original "anime" (HE IS NOT JAPANESE!) on a failing cable block with barely a competitive budget for even their own TOM interstitials, and yet he kept doing it anyway. Now we know why. Because he's been getting the budget FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE. It also is clever timing that this news breaks right before Fena: Pirate Princess debuts this Saturday, and also with Uzumaki and Blade Runner premiering later this year.

Also, I hate that the news broke on THAT SITE. They banned me for life for expressing my opinion.

• Sad 1
  • D'oh 1

The news actually broke on Deadline, I think.

So WB Aimation is starting a division specifically for action animation and anime. The co-creator and current producer of Toonami will be running it. This is like something out of a dream for me. I cannot wait to see what this new division brings to the world of animation.

Jason will even be involved in DC projects.

Perhaps Toonami’s best days are yet to come.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Make an Exaxxion anime you pussy.

Netflix is the one that loves the bigass robots (yeah they made Voltron but we forgive them.  Somewhat).  If anyone makes Exaxxion it will be them.

I could see DeMarco try to make Bean Bandit a thing.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Interesting tidbit.

He’s gonna develop action animation for every age group including kids. Kids could certainly use some fresh action cartoons. For him that’s coming full circle from the CN Toonami days.

.... *imagines a pre-school action series....*

38 minutes ago, elfie said:

.... *imagines a pre-school action series....*

You don’t have to imagine very hard, several existed.

Rescue Heroes, Marvel Super Hero Squad, PJ Masks, Transformers Rescue Bots and Krypto the Superdog are some examples.

WB is currently developing a Batmobile cartoon for CN’s upcoming preschool block.

I’m more wondering what DeMarco has to work with now that CR is gone.  Is it going to be all originals?  With what money?  Is he going to dig into the Hanna Barbera license chest?  Is he going to make a Sky Commanders anime?

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

why does demarco always feel the need to  post crap like that?(it's much like the time when he put A Voice actor on blast for something he said back in 2009 about adultswim's jokes at the expense of anime)

The dude has always been a bully. I have no feelings about the guy, but based on the way I've seen him respond to people online, like twitter or even that one ask questions site, the dude does act like a bully online. He definitely has a level of smug about him.

That said if the dude could somehow get a continuation of Megas XLR then I'm good.

12 minutes ago, DBAss said:

The dude has always been a bully. I have no feelings about the guy, but based on the way I've seen him respond to people online, like twitter or even that one ask questions site, the dude does act like a bully online. He definitely has a level of smug about him.

That said if the dude could somehow get a continuation of Megas XLR then I'm good.

I've said it before and I stand by it, that because [adult swim] was in a very unique position as the only major long term anime block in the US despite a few competitors that have come and gone, and with that came a very, VERY smug attitude.  "We decide what you watch, we decide when it airs, and you're a dumb weeb."  It's why "DeMarco's shit taste" is a meme around here, and why the man seems to completely despise streaming services, because they destroyed his powerbase and grip on that subculture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I barely know anything about Demarco, other than a few tweets that people have posted on here from him. 

All I know, is that he kinda failed at getting a lot of the big anime that everyone in the anime world was talking about. RE Zero, Future Diary, Angel Beats etc. When he did get the big hits, a lot of time it was years after they aired. Now how much of this was because he wasn't able to get them, or because he focused on getting horrible Gundam series that most people in the West don't give a damn about we'll never really know. But given the crap that he did choose to air... Tokyo Ghoul.... Casshern Sins... Dimension W... it kinda seems like the man just has shit taste and doesn't understand the difference between good and bad.

Half this guys career comes from massive overreliance on DBZ to keep the lights on around here.

And yes, he does come off as a gigantic condescending arrogant douche that should be kept far far away from any interactions with fans. The fact that he posts things like "Bad news for my haters" screams of a man with a very fragile ego. That random "tastemaker" quote that he posted from some nobody in the music industry pretty is telling of a man with a fragile ego desperate for any form of validation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may say this as one of the few people who actually liked Dimension W, but I believe the main reason Toonami got it was not because Demarco liked it too, but because FUNimation wanted to make back as much money on it as they could, being a key player on the production committee and everything. Ditto for Fire Force.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 2

We do shit on DeMarco here a lot, probably a bit too much sometimes, so I’ll say something nice.

If he is genuine about what he wants to do, and I see no reason why he wouldn’t be, we could potentially see the end of “action cartoons” that boil down to “JESUS CHRIST SEE A THERAPIST, NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH A SHOW WHERE YOU RELIEVE YOUR TRAUMA OVER NOT GOING TO PROM”.  (The fact that multiple shows fit that description shows how utterly sad the Western animation industry can be).  In their place, we could see more genuine action cartoons, which in the West tend to be either DC comics stuff, (although Marvel threw their hat into the ring with What If?) or desperately trying to prove they’re anime.  Going beyond that would be quite welcome.

The problem is stemming from where are the ideas going to come from?  Original ideas from Western writers is…yeah, and there’s only so many properties Warner has access to that actually fit the bill.  What is he going to remake, Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers?

Still, given his long career, I see no reason DeMarco won’t be able to produce something with at the very least, a quality premise.  It’s all the other intangibles that worry me, stuff that he wouldn’t have direct influence over.

Edited by Jman
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Daos said:

I barely know anything about Demarco, other than a few tweets that people have posted on here from him. 

All I know, is that he kinda failed at getting a lot of the big anime that everyone in the anime world was talking about. RE Zero, Future Diary, Angel Beats etc. When he did get the big hits, a lot of time it was years after they aired. Now how much of this was because he wasn't able to get them, or because he focused on getting horrible Gundam series that most people in the West don't give a damn about we'll never really know. But given the crap that he did choose to air... Tokyo Ghoul.... Casshern Sins... Dimension W... it kinda seems like the man just has shit taste and doesn't understand the difference between good and bad.

Half this guys career comes from massive overreliance on DBZ to keep the lights on around here.

And yes, he does come off as a gigantic condescending arrogant douche that should be kept far far away from any interactions with fans. The fact that he posts things like "Bad news for my haters" screams of a man with a very fragile ego. That random "tastemaker" quote that he posted from some nobody in the music industry pretty is telling of a man with a fragile ego desperate for any form of validation.

MHA Could have been A Major Hit on toonami but due to Hulu....It Just wasn't able to air on the block until 2018

that's hard to believe isn't it?  that MHA's only been with toonami for three years

the fact it was tied up in crap with Hulu meant by the time it did air on toonami it wouldn't have as much of an impact as it would have

if it had aired sooner

Edited by CountFrylock

13 hours ago, Daos said:

Because his team is small and he is the lead of the block, the block becomes this odd mismash of constantly-evolving samplers of his very very narrow anime tastes, as well as shows he was forced to get on the block because the upper bosses told him to do it. It is BARELY host to any isekai anime despite isekai anime becoming the absolute hottest anime genre in existence. A ton of shonen and action cartoons simply cannot be shown on the block because big boy Netflix's contract grants themselves exclusive distribution, which only makes DeMarco even more defensive.

Edited by elfie

56 minutes ago, elfie said:

Because his team is small and he is the lead of the block, the block becomes this odd mismash of constantly-evolving samplers of his very very narrow anime tastes, as well as shows he was forced to get on the block because the upper bosses told him to do it. It is BARELY host to any isekai anime despite isekai anime becoming the absolute hottest anime genre in existence. A ton of shonen and action cartoons simply cannot be shown on the block because big boy Netflix's contract grants themselves exclusive distribution, which only makes DeMarco even more defensive.

Just because isekai anime is a dime a dozen and probably the easiest premise to make for an anime, doesn't make it the hottest genre in existence, unless you're being sarcastic.

It's just like with shows like AoT and SAO. A major hit comes out which leads to dozens of other folks making something in a similar scenario to cash in on the big thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DBAss said:

Just because isekai anime is a dime a dozen and probably the easiest premise to make for an anime, doesn't make it the hottest genre in existence, unless you're being sarcastic.

It's just like with shows like AoT and SAO. A major hit comes out which leads to dozens of other folks making something in a similar scenario to cash in on the big thing.

If it's not the hottest genre in anime right now, how come like 30% of all seasonal anime is isekai?

13 minutes ago, elfie said:

If it's not the hottest genre in anime right now, how come like 30% of all seasonal anime is isekai?

Because it's easy to make.

Give me the ability to draw and a couple of weeks off work to focus on making one, and I could crank out one with a decent enough story for some people to get behind.

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

MHA Could have been A Major Hit on toonami but due to Hulu....It Just wasn't able to air on the block until 2018

that's hard to believe isn't it?  that MHA's only been with toonami for three years

the fact it was tied up in crap with Hulu meant by the time it did air on toonami it wouldn't have as much of an impact as it would have

if it had aired sooner

There was a time when I was sure that MHA would have been bigger for Toonami if they got it back in 2016 or even 2017. It most likely would have done One-Punch Man season 1 level ratings back then but I am not so sure if MHA would be any more popular for it. And I’m pretty sure it would not be doing better on Toonami right now than it already is due to a number of factors.

Demon Slayer is a huge hit but that didn’t translate to significant success on Toonami.

Attack on Titan is still very successful on streaming but the Toonami audience clearly decreased over the years.

JoJo and One Piece did okay on Toonami but they are much more popular outside of Toonami. Just about every shounen is more successful outside of Toonami.

But truthfully we have no idea what kind of reach Toonami still has. It’s probably wider than traditional ratings indicate. And as much as I’d like Toonami to be a bigger deal, it’s more than good enough that it stays on the air and it plays some good shows.

What excites me most about DeMarco’s new gig is that there will be more action animation and anime produced that probably would not have been made otherwise. Everything else that’s on Toonami was already going to exist and find an audience somewhere. It’s just nice that Toonami could also show them and maybe expand the visibility of the lesser known ones.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DBAss said:

Because it's easy to make.

Give me the ability to draw and a couple of weeks off work to focus on making one, and I could crank out one with a decent enough story for some people to get behind.

Most of those started as light novels without a lot of illustrations. Some even as web novels. And the illustrations are often done by people who aren’t the author. Those stories feed into the desire to escape every day life so the readers can insert themselves into that other world. It’s basically a writing cheat and boy does it sell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DBAss said:

Isekai is easily the hottest genre. Its not even close. The success of SAO spawned a legion of new Isekai's that air every season. Even bottom of the barrel trash like "trapped in another world with my smartphone" is somehow able to be made into an anime.

In a way, we owe the success of SAO for spawning much bettter Isekai like Konosuba, Re Zero, Overlord, Shield Hero, Cautious Hero, Reincarnated as a Slime, No Game no Life,  Gate, Tanya the Evil and a bunch of others.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Most of those started as light novels without a lot of illustrations. Some even as web novels. And the illustrations are often done by people who aren’t the author. Those stories feed into the desire to escape every day life so the readers can insert themselves into that other world. It’s basically a writing cheat and boy does it sell.

I can't find a title for my isekai novel! Wait! I can just use that phrase I texted to someone that I forgot about 5 minutes later.

2 minutes ago, Sketch said:

WarnerMedia is paying. We’ll see about who writes them.

It’s the latter that worries me, particularly the aforementioned genre of “JESUS CHRIST SEE A THERAPIST, STOP TRYING TO PROJECT YOUR TRAUMA ABOUT NOT GOING TO PROM ON A KIDS SHOW” cartoons masquerading as action cartoons.  DeMarco is old school as hell, but actually finding writers out there who will write the premises he wants and not stuff that either he disagrees with or he knows won’t sell a single dollar of merch (Oh hai Infinity Train) is a tougher task.

The alternative is to pull yet more franchises out of mothballs and there’s only so many left.  Would anyone be down for DeMarco heading a remake of Centurions?

And yeah, I’m posting a lot of stuff Warner has the rights to just to poke around at what could be remade that hasn’t already.

Apparently DeMarco is a big Steven Universe fan.

DeMarco’s shit taste remains shit and I was delusional to think Western animators would do anything unique.  Maybe the Europeans, but not the US.  My fault for smoking the Hopium.

Edited by Jman

I just want to see Megas XLR be continued. Though with the whole rights issue it'd probably have to be a "spiritual successor" if anything, but if he can bring back that show I'd be down.

Maybe even a continuation of the 2011 Thundercats.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jman said:

DeMarco’s shit taste remains shit and I was delusional to think Western animators would do anything unique.  Maybe the Europeans, but not the US.  My fault for smoking the Hopium.

Yeah man how dare he like something good!

Steven Universe merchandise was such a spectacular failure most of it was marked at clearance by Season 2.

Even if you like the show, which is fine if you do, the idea of something different would have been fun to see.  Besides, I don’t have the vitriol for Steven that I do for Infinity Train or…The Owl House (not CN, but really the worst example of modern “action” cartoons.)

Edited by Jman

18 hours ago, Sketch said:

There was a time when I was sure that MHA would have been bigger for Toonami if they got it back in 2016 or even 2017. It most likely would have done One-Punch Man season 1 level ratings back then but I am not so sure if MHA would be any more popular for it. And I’m pretty sure it would not be doing better on Toonami right now than it already is due to a number of factors.

Demon Slayer is a huge hit but that didn’t translate to significant success on Toonami.

Attack on Titan is still very successful on streaming but the Toonami audience clearly decreased over the years.

JoJo and One Piece did okay on Toonami but they are much more popular outside of Toonami. Just about every shounen is more successful outside of Toonami.

But truthfully we have no idea what kind of reach Toonami still has. It’s probably wider than traditional ratings indicate. And as much as I’d like Toonami to be a bigger deal, it’s more than good enough that it stays on the air and it plays some good shows.

What excites me most about DeMarco’s new gig is that there will be more action animation and anime produced that probably would not have been made otherwise. Everything else that’s on Toonami was already going to exist and find an audience somewhere. It’s just nice that Toonami could also show them and maybe expand the visibility of the lesser known ones.

I'm guessing Jojo And One Piece were just too weird for the average american viewer counted in Nielsen Ratings

As For Attack On Titan...the wait between seasons probably made a lot of those casual viewers forget all about it

Demon Slayer....No Clue maybe it  Seemed too Foreign to them

i agree though we have no real idea what kind of reach toonami still has because Nielsen Ratings aren't a good indicator of Popularity knowing how they work

and how most of us aren't even counted in them(It's a sample size platter sort of thing)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jman said:

The box office results clearly show that the Nielsen’s don’t work.

I still remember once upon a time when it was rumored FX wanted to put AOT after Archer.

speaking of box office results...it's always annoyed me that even the biggest anime movies in recent hisory(Such as Demon Slayer Mugen Train)can only muster a few thousand theaters showing it

13 hours ago, Jman said:

... oh fuck we're gonna see High Guardian Spice on here won't we???

3 hours ago, elfie said:

... oh fuck we're gonna see High Guardian Spice on here won't we???

..No.

We're more likely to get live-action movies back on Toonami.  Of course, given that anime is the next frontier for live-action films now that all the good comics have been adapted, (case in point, Saint Seiya is apparently being filmed in Budapest as we speak), who knows?

9 hours ago, Jman said:

Steven Universe merchandise was such a spectacular failure most of it was marked at clearance by Season 2.

Serious question: why do you give a single shit about its merchandise? Why does anyone give a shit about a show's merchandise other than some boomer exec who's stuck in 1985 and thinks the only purpose of a cartoon is to sell action figures?

• Thanks 1