UnevenEdge

Bleach one-shot hits Japan (spoilers)

Jman

36 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

Don't worry, it will die again once the anime only's learn how shitty the ending is.

I somewhat agree.

I'm glad they're adapting the final arc, but the final arc is horribly written, and full of so many loose ends and plot holes. There were a lot of things Kubo was setting up that he never touched upon at all. One example being the quincies imprisoning Halibel, him even making a page showing her being held.

The thing I'm really hoping for is that they don't make this a direct adaptation, and instead make their own version that fills in as many gaps and fixes as much of the story as possible. I know in the past they've used the anime to add more detail and substance to the story, since if they were to directly adapt the manga they'd have maybe 5 minutes worth of shit on screen. Hopefully they can do that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jman said:

OK, ready?

Hide contents

It's also getting a new arc involving Hell.  Yes, Bleach is back.

I'm not a fan at all of the decision Kubo made regarding what was setup in this,

Spoiler

It's so nice to have all these characters that you know and love, just for the creator to decide every one of them will go to literal hell when they die cause why not. Every captain, as well as the higher end VCs, as well as many other characters. Ichigo, Rukia, even their kids most likely all get to go to hell when they die cause Kubo decided to continue milking the series instead of moving on to something new.

4 minutes ago, DBAss said:

I'm not a fan at all of the decision Kubo made regarding what was setup in this,

Reveal hidden contents

It's so nice to have all these characters that you know and love, just for the creator to decide every one of them will go to literal hell when they die cause why not. Every captain, as well as the higher end VCs, as well as many other characters. Ichigo, Rukia, even their kids most likely all get to go to hell when they die cause Kubo decided to continue milking the series instead of moving on to something new.

Spoiler

I think this might be his way of retconning some of the deaths from the previous arc. Some of them went out...unceremoniously...

I'd imagine that they'll get rid of the "Everybody goes to hell" rule and have a happy ending instead.

Edited by 3ngag3

15 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:
  Hide contents

I think this might be his way of retconning some of the deaths from the previous arc. Some of them went out...unceremoniously...

I'd imagine that they'll get rid of the "Everybody goes to hell" rule and have a happy ending instead.

Spoiler

Like, I get that it's a fictional series, but as someone that's been a big fan of it for 15+ years, and has followed it all this time, I just really find that decision of his unsettling. I also consider myself a really spiritual person, so I'm not fond of that decision on that account either.

We likely will see more of popular characters that were lost. Maybe even Gin or Ulquiorra. Although one thing I always thought of as a plot hole in the series back when the 4th movie came out was how if you end up in hell you're there forever. I feel like this would make the Quincy problem the least of their worries since people can wind up in hell without the input of a quincy. The whole problem with quincies being they'd cause an unbalance that would destroy both worlds. If souls that go to hell are stuck there, then I feel like that problem should have happened a very long time ago in the series.

Edited by DBAss

If I had to take a guess about how this arc will go down,

Spoiler

Ichigo and friends will go to hell to fight whoever the big baddy of the arc is. We'll likely see familiar faces like Ukitake, Unohana, Yamamoto, I feel like Ichigo or someone will probably have to fight them for some reason. We'll likely see Gin and Tousen as well, getting some form of closure with all those characters (or at least some of them). Perhaps Ichigo and friends find a way to free them from hell. I doubt they'll all get brought back, but if nothing else be able to find peace and move on like every other soul in the series. They do have Urahara and Mayuri both in the SS doing science, they'll probably come up with a solution to the reishi problem so they no longer have to doom their friends to hell, and potentially lead to a never ending loop of the problem popping back up every X amount of years. If the problem is those with a Reishi level 3 or higher being too dense to break down and return to Earth, they could probably just come up with something to be used as part of a funeral procedure that can do that, so they don't risk the same problem happening again.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:31 PM, DBAss said:

I somewhat agree.

I'm glad they're adapting the final arc, but the final arc is horribly written, and full of so many loose ends and plot holes. There were a lot of things Kubo was setting up that he never touched upon at all. One example being the quincies imprisoning Halibel, him even making a page showing her being held.

The thing I'm really hoping for is that they don't make this a direct adaptation, and instead make their own version that fills in as many gaps and fixes as much of the story as possible. I know in the past they've used the anime to add more detail and substance to the story, since if they were to directly adapt the manga they'd have maybe 5 minutes worth of shit on screen. Hopefully they can do that.

Yes there is definitely a lot of stuff about that last arc that needs fixing.  Things that happened off-screen or cut out entirely, things not wrapped up etc.  We don't even know the fates of some characters.  Probably due to Kubo's health issues, forcing him to end things sooner than he would've liked, but he could have budgeted his time better, since there were some things that dragged on and repetitive scenes etc.

Was there any update about the anime given with this chapter release?  I was hoping we'd get that too.

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Yes there is definitely a lot of stuff about that last arc that needs fixing.  Things that happened off-screen or cut out entirely, things not wrapped up etc.  We don't even know the fates of some characters.  Probably due to Kubo's health issues, forcing him to end things sooner than he would've liked, but he could have budgeted his time better, since there were some things that dragged on and repetitive scenes etc.

Was there any update about the anime given with this chapter release?  I was hoping we'd get that too.

Just that it's still coming along.

Also for now the new chapter is still considered just a one shot, the manga hasn't been picked back up again. Though I'd imagine if the show performs well then they'll most likely get Kubo to continue making the series.

I remember seeing some time back with Burn the Witch how Kubo was supposedly planning on doing the manga in a seasonal format, where he'll work on it for awhile and then take a break from it. If Bleach were to return, the way he could go about that is by shifting between the two series. Work on BtW for a few months, then switch to Bleach, maybe take a month or so off in between then go back to the other, and so on.

On 8/7/2021 at 12:38 PM, PokeNirvash said:

You do realize Bleach was on Toonami for the first two years it was back, right? 😒

Even so, never say never...

Yes, hence the term continuation. I am saying that the series stopped, then resumed production, and that this new continuation of the series will probably not air on Toonami. (Netflix)

I apologize for lacking precision in my original remark.

Given that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6 (and beyond, most likely) is indeed headed to Netflix, Bleach's continuation may indeed have the same destination.

But it's FAR too early to assume that. Toonami IS airing YashaHime, after all, and that's a fairly recent Viz show. But maybe not renewing Boruto came back to bite them in the ass after all, if having a 2020 lineup with few premieres in June and July wasn't bad enough.

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Given that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6 (and beyond, most likely) is indeed headed to Netflix, Bleach's continuation may indeed have the same destination.

But it's FAR too early to assume that. Toonami IS airing YashaHime, after all, and that's a fairly recent Viz show. But maybe not renewing Boruto came back to bite them in the ass after all, if having a 2020 lineup with few premieres in June and July wasn't bad enough.

Jojo was a Toonami staple and it was bought up, there is no reason to think the same might not happen with Bleach. After all Bleach is available to stream on Tubi and probably a few other sites/services. For Netflix to come along and try to get the continuation (for lack of a better term) given that the series is popular and has a built in audience makes sense.

Viz is a smaller company when it comes to anime, if it comes to a bidding war between Demarco's and Netflix....

Toonami will always have a smaller budget, the audience and growth do not warrant a larger budget. It does well enough to exist, but it isn't growing. Anime might be growing in popularity (it is still niche despite Taco Bell's best efforts), but Toonami as a brand is not. [as] has Rick and Morty and that's about it. Toonami is a smaller slice of that already narrow market. It is worth noting that there was enough in the budget to work on three original series, which is certainly impressive, but I'm not sure that the years Toonami has been on have been spent building the kind of audience that will support expensive endeavors like that.

I hope this answers your question Elfie.

Bleach will return to Toonami. I don't know if they'll re-air the original series (since they'd likely have to buy back the rights to do so), but they probably will at some point.

Bleach is a series that has done very well for AS anime in the past, so they'll definitely find a way to have the new anime air.

That said, whether the English version gets debuted on Toonami, or it's not until well after the anime is finished airing in Japan, couldn't say.

Edited by DBAss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1