UnevenEdge

AT&T looking to spin off Warner Media and sell it to Discovery

Jman

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-16/at-t-is-said-in-talks-to-combine-content-assets-with-discovery-kor6r2uj

Short version is AT&T figures its quickest way out of debt is to get out of entertainment and focus on its core telecom business.  To that end, they plan to spin off the Warner Media library and combine it with Discovery while still keeping a stake in the business.  Discovery meanwhile hopes to position the new entity as better able to take on Netflix. That includes Cartoon Network.

Well, considering that Disney+ has offerings from National Geographic, and the service pairs naturally with ESPN+ and Hulu, I'd say this move makes sense. I have no idea how being owned by Discovery would affect our part of the business, but I doubt it would change much.

[inb4 cn real 2]

I like the idea of a WarnerMedia without AT&T controlling everything and adding Discovery channels to WMs channels would be quite a media empire.

But maybe the new bosses won’t be any better.

This certainly is an interesting development at any rate.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

God I love the hell-cursed corporate speak in those press releases. Take a shot every time someone says "synergy" !

Remember when they made the word paradigm a thing?

I think you have to avoid saying anything. If you say anything... you might get in trouble.

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2021 at 1:44 AM, Sketch said:

I like the idea of a WarnerMedia without AT&T controlling everything and adding Discovery channels to WMs channels would be quite a media empire.

But maybe the new bosses won’t be any better.

This certainly is an interesting development at any rate.

So that's what's going on?  It's all so confusing.

AT&T shouldn't have been able to own entertainment companies in the first place anyway, since they already provide TV and internet access.  It's a conflict of interest.  We need to use the Namekian Dragon Balls to bring back Teddy Roosevelt to put a stop to this nonsense!

On 5/16/2021 at 7:22 PM, Chapinator_X said:

AT&T wanting to sell off Warner Bros to Discovery is like what happens in those edgy shows when a lecherous bandit kidnaps the main female lead and says “Heh, with your looks, you could fetch a high price if I sold you to a twisted noble!”

Sounds like you're talking about that edgelord show Akame ga Kill.  It's amazing because I have not thought about that show in forever.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:15 PM, elfie said:

WHAT'S WRONG WITH WARNER MEDIA NOW?!?!

...I HAD A LONG ENOUGH TIME JUST TRYING TO ACCEPT THE FORMATION OF WARNER MEDIA!

None of this corporate BS makes any sense.  These companies are able to do all these BS deals that shouldn't even be legal, then somehow able to operate with metric fucktons of debt.  And hell, with Jeff Bezos making $2000 a second on top of everything else, it makes you wonder if the concept of money even means anything anymore.

Edited by ben0119