UnevenEdge

Studying for the GRE

RedemptionZeni

I know I'm 30, but I figure it's time that I get a master's in English and get a real job for once.

The regular GRE isn't too bad, except for the quantitative section because I'm not great at math, but wow I forgot how hard the actual subject test in English is. I honestly might have to delay this for a year because I have a ton of reading to do. I forgot how much I struggled with poetry and confidently identifying all of its elements, so I really need to brush up on that and read a lot of Shakespeare especially.  It'll be fun... I really do need high GRE scores to make up for not doing anything significant for basically a decade and having a downward trend in grades the last time I took college courses. That'd be cool to get into NYU's MA program, but I would have to be nearly flawless with my 20-25 page writing sample, personal statement, "resume", test scores, and (the hardest part of the application) my letters of recommendation, if I can get even get any. Realistically, I'll be trying to get admitted to Seton Hall's MA program, but I'm not a fan of the limited course options and structure of the program with its "hubs" and "spokes". 

Back to work! 🤠

Let me ask before I donate a serious comment to this thread.

Did my eyes deceive me, or did you admit to the ''legal age teens'' thing to all be a shtick? 

The whole alpha thing. 

I mean, even if it was a shtick, that's a low road to take for a shtick.

Nevertheless, I ask in all seriousness.

29 minutes ago, resurrected said:

Let me ask before I donate a serious comment to this thread.

Did my eyes deceive me, or did you admit to the ''legal age teens'' thing to all be a shtick? 

The whole alpha thing. 

I mean, even if it was a shtick, that's a low road to take for a shtick.

Nevertheless, I ask in all seriousness.

alpha et Omega

WIN_20201125_15_54_24_Pro (2).jpg

9 minutes ago, mthor said:

Because some of the areas of thinner skin on the face are almost as easy as the actual sclera to determine jaundice on - I have Gilbert's, and  when I get jaundiced, it's not just my eyes that get yellow.

I want to see you post a picture of yourself.

Never. 

You've seen more of @katt_goddess's face than you'll ever see of mine.

If it's the limitations of selfies that you're pointing out, I'm willing to concede to a point, but I've seen some impressive photos of injuries on here that were actually fairly detailed, and nicely colored.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedemptionZeni said:

I know I'm 30, but I figure it's time that I get a master's in English and get a real job for once.

The regular GRE isn't too bad, except for the quantitative section because I'm not great at math, but wow I forgot how hard the actual subject test in English is. I honestly might have to delay this for a year because I have a ton of reading to do. I forgot how much I struggled with poetry and confidently identifying all of its elements, so I really need to brush up on that and read a lot of Shakespeare especially.  It'll be fun... I really do need high GRE scores to make up for not doing anything significant for basically a decade and having a downward trend in grades the last time I took college courses. That'd be cool to get into NYU's MA program, but I would have to be nearly flawless with my 20-25 page writing sample, personal statement, "resume", test scores, and (the hardest part of the application) my letters of recommendation, if I can get even get any. Realistically, I'll be trying to get admitted to Seton Hall's MA program, but I'm not a fan of the limited course options and structure of the program with its "hubs" and "spokes". 

Back to work! 🤠

Being the insensitive bitch that I am, how do you plan to pay for this? Or were the defaulted student loans also part of the schtick?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, resurrected said:

If you're dying, why do you care about getting a master's degree?

I can actually answer this fairly seriously.

Sometimes when you are facing really heavy shit in your life, you either give up, curl up, and die or you set goals and try to do things just to have something to aim for. Big goals, little goals doesn't matter. The point is there's something other than the heavy shit to focus on. 

27 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

I can actually answer this fairly seriously.

Sometimes when you are facing really heavy shit in your life, you either give up, curl up, and die or you set goals and try to do things just to have something to aim for. Big goals, little goals doesn't matter. The point is there's something other than the heavy shit to focus on. 

I mean, if I knew I was on a set timer, I'd just walk around naked and shit. Maybe rob a bank or something. Be like, fuck it. 

2 hours ago, mthor said:

Never. 

You've seen more of @katt_goddess's face than you'll ever see of mine.

If it's the limitations of selfies that you're pointing out, I'm willing to concede to a point, but I've seen some impressive photos of injuries on here that were actually fairly detailed, and nicely colored.

Nah it wasn't the selfies, as in a put up or shut up kind of thing. 

It was a I'm curious kind of thing.

2 hours ago, mthor said:

Because some of the areas of thinner skin on the face are almost as easy as the actual sclera to determine jaundice on - I have Gilbert's, and  when I get jaundiced, it's not just my eyes that get yellow.

Probably not in a photograph, though.  At least with the sclera, the white while show discoloring on any screen.  The skin tone, on the other hand, might be altered by your monitor's color profile.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Probably not in a photograph, though.  At least with the sclera, the white while show discoloring on any screen.  The skin tone, on the other hand, might be altered by your monitor's color profile.

Quite possibly, but it's not like I'm going to get verifiable lab or scan reports. I suppose I could accept something showing upper body wasting and a swollen abdomen. (Yeah, it's sad to be this cynical, but it's the result of having been played like a Stradivarius one too many times.)

Edited by mthor
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mthor said:

Quite possibly, but it's not like I'm going to get verifiable lab or scan reports. I suppose I could accept something showing upper body wasting and a swollen abdomen. (Yeah, it's sad to be this cynical, but it's the result of having been played like a Stradivarius one too many times.)

Ok now. 

Did you get played while listening to your phonograph? 

(mthor goes and submits a report for my behavior.. on a typewriter...and sends it in by mail).

59 minutes ago, resurrected said:

Ok now. 

Did you get played while listening to your phonograph? 

(mthor goes and submits a report for my behavior.. on a typewriter...and sends it in by mail).

Pish tosh on your typewriter - I have a quill pen.

Edited by mthor
  • Haha 2