UnevenEdge

New Code Geass to be announced dec 5th

Satou Kazuma

$5 says it’s a cheap mobile game.

Admittedly, I’ve been pondering how a live action Code Geass makes more sense than a LA Avatar, but something tells me I haven’t willed that into existence.  At least having Geass being full of hate sex would make sense.

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

I honestly found the school stuff in Geass much more engaging than the actual plot and associated action. Probably because it was the only way I could see anime fanservice on [as] at the time.

That was the dark ages, before On Demand and shows being made with the sex element in mind for Western audiences.

Although if you were going to keep the school stuff, there would be one of two ways to do it.  The first idea is make everyone over 18 and really lean into the sexual element by making subtext, plain text.  (AKA you know that Lelouch was probably having lots of hate sex with CC during the first season, go full Riverdale and just show it on screen).  That would help with reducing how much time really expensive Knightmare Frame mecha battles have on screen, so you can make those things pop more.

The second idea would just be to reduce the school setting to an absolute skeleton, eliminate all filler involving them (everyone chasing the cat with Zero's mask, the Season 2 cultural festival, etc), and expand all the other stuff.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that Sunrise has the original Season 2 pitch of Geass somewhere in their offices, and from what I remember, it was drastically different from what we got.

Yes, I've been thinking about this a bit more than I oughta.  Why do you ask?

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I honestly found the school stuff in Geass much more engaging than the actual plot and associated action. Probably because it was the only way I could see anime fanservice on [as] at the time.

If fanservice made shows great then both seasons of Freezing would be considered masterpieces. 

• Haha 3

Real talk though, I goddamn love those batshit crazy school episodes.  The equestrian club riding horses around chasing after a cat, a GIANT ROBOT MAKING A GIANT PIZZA, Milly Ashford hanging a lampshade on everything with the line, "Sometimes life just has these little filler moments"...give me an entire series of this and I could die happy.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Real talk though, I goddamn love those batshit crazy school episodes.  The equestrian club riding horses around chasing after a cat, a GIANT ROBOT MAKING A GIANT PIZZA, Milly Ashford hanging a lampshade on everything with the line, "Sometimes life just has these little filler moments"...give me an entire series of this and I could die happy.

I still use the “fabulous waste of money” line that Rivalz drops when he unveils the pizza. 

Yeah, the moments I enjoyed from Geass that weren’t absolutely ridiculous were the school-life scenes or episodes based around it like Kallen getting familiarized with the student council or the cat chase episode. 

The festival also had that great scene where Cecille was playing Whack-a-mole and enthusiastically singled out the one student that looked like Lloyd as her favorite one to keep hitting with the hammer. As time went on. I think Cecille and Lloyd really helped to keep me invested in R2.

• Like 1

Ok, so that’s three votes to keep the school stuff in, although again, I feel like if they did make it a LA show and kept the school element (presumably to keep a familiar set and not spend metric fucktons of cash on Knightmare Frame battles every single episode), the sexual element would be ramped up.

Why am I even thinking about this?  We’re gonna get a mobile game.  Even if I did finish a pitch for an adaptation (not that I’m working on one, I have a 9-5), I’m pretty sure every single streaming service would laugh it out of their offices.

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jman said:

Well at least there's an anime coming out of it.

Can't say I'm terribly excited for it, since I thought R2 wrapped the series up well enough (unstable world government aside), but it might be worth it.  I'd want to check out the movies first.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jiro_Dreams said:

Within the next ten years, there will be an anime adaptation of the phone game, and good luck finding someone who can make sense of that game’s story. 

Nah I do not know what you mean the lore is not that complicated. Not even close to being more ridiculous than Kingdom Hearts lore at least.

Admittedly though, Kingdom Hearts basically has a special level for itself in terms of lore at this point.  When it gets to the point that you have to search Youtube videos to watch cutscenes from a mobile phone game to get world building, I think your series has a problem.  Code Geass, let alone almost anything else, isn't there just yet.

• Like 2