UnevenEdge

Gemusetto Death Beat(s) Discussion

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

The ratings are going to crater for this.

how about we accept that most people who are counted in the ratings are clueless old people and families who don't really make much use of the fact they were randomly selected for some stupid ass survey that tries to treat the tastes of the minority as the tastes of the majority

• Like 1

Just now, CountFrylock said:

how about we accept that most people who are counted in the ratings are clueless old people and families who don't really make much use of the fact they were randomly selected for some stupid ass survey that tries to treat the tastes of the minority as the tastes of the majority

Well yeah the Nielsen system is an archaic and bullshit one.  Definitely need something different.  Then again traditional TV is on the way out anyway, I guess Nielsen can go down with it.

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

Well yeah the Nielsen system is an archaic and bullshit one.  Definitely need something different.  Then again traditional TV is on the way out anyway, I guess Nielsen can go down with it.

when tv goes down....there comes the problem of thousands of streaming services and nobody having the money to watch all the shows they used to

because suddenly all those services jacked the prices up

2 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

when tv goes down....there comes the problem of thousands of streaming services and nobody having the money to watch all the shows they used to

because suddenly all those services jacked the prices up

More the issue is literally every studio and network having their own streaming service.  The whole point of Netflix and Hulu was their giant libraries made it worth it.  Everyone else making one defeats the purpose.  I definitely won't subscribe to services just to watch one show, either.

Just now, ben0119 said:

More the issue is literally every studio and network having their own streaming service.  The whole point of Netflix and Hulu was their giant libraries made it worth it.  Everyone else making one defeats the purpose.  I definitely won't subscribe to services just to watch one show, either.

same here...like who the fuck wants to subscribe to Paramount +?

all these companies wanted to have a slice of the pie and didn't want to share any so they made a service for themselves

one reason i love toonami is i don't have to jump between different services to watch different shows

which is what I'd be doing if i was watching them via streaming services

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

same here...like who the fuck wants to subscribe to Paramount +?

all these companies wanted to have a slice of the pie and didn't want to share any so they made a service for themselves

one reason i love toonami is i don't have to jump between different services to watch different shows

which is what I'd be doing if i was watching them via streaming services

Yep, getting shortsighted with their greed.  It will be interesting to see how things go when the traditional TV truly dies.  No way are all of these services going to last.  Some are going to be forced to band together or license their stuff out to the successful platforms.

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Is that Demarco doing the next episode preview voice over?  Either way, fuck him.

seriously....he hyped this up on twitter because covid-19 left them with little else to air and black clover ran out of dubbed episodes on the block

yet he keeps acting like this was a perfect fit for the block

• Like 1

I love the word play of Anubass and CerberBASS.

Keith being a jerk to Makasu reminds me of how Pikachu was initially a jerk to Ash in Pokemon.

So far this still has the comedic sensibilities of the Machu PIcchu arc but with better art and more animation.

And no guys that's not Jason as the episode preview announcer.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 2

I've watched and laughed at a lot of the absurdist stuff [as] has aired over the years. I thought OzMo was genius and Perfect Hair Forever was hilarious.  I got a kick out of Ballmastrz, which oozed style. 

This...what the fuck was this?  It was painful. I struggled through the first few minutes and had to bail. It looks horrendous, and the voicework was atrocious. 

Edited by Top Gun
  • Thanks 1
  • D'oh 1

4 hours ago, Top Gun said:

I've watched and laughed at a lot of the absurdist stuff [as] has aired over the years. I thought OzMo was genius and Perfect Hair Forever was hilarious.  I got a kick out of Ballmastrz, which oozed style. 

This...what the fuck was this?  It was painful. I struggled through the first few minutes and had to bail. It looks horrendous, and the voicework was atrocious. 

Ouch.

As someone who thought Pop Team could be really funny in small doses and significantly softened on Tim and Eric (Moonbase 8 looks hilarious), this...this ain’t it.  The closest comparison I can think of is Magical Girl Friendship Squad, a horrifically unfunny parody of magical girls written by people who hate anime and have very little knowledge of it. 

5 hours ago, Jman said:

Ouch.

As someone who thought Pop Team could be really funny in small doses and significantly softened on Tim and Eric (Moonbase 8 looks hilarious), this...this ain’t it.  The closest comparison I can think of is Magical Girl Friendship Squad, a horrifically unfunny parody of magical girls written by people who hate anime and have very little knowledge of it. 

Funny, that show actually did fairly well on Syfy opposite the first half of Dragon Ball Super reruns on Toonami. Its season finale, which aired on October 24th at Midnight, actually got 344K total viewers, and a 0.12 in Adults 18-49, checking in at #61. Not bad!

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-10-24-2020.html

Western animators and fans of animation (not necessarily weebs, just people who recognize animation as a medium) need to have a very long talk about what is expected of them.

The Liberator ended up looking a lot better and that’s rotoscoping.

Edited by Jman

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

They played the melodrama about Josie very straight and while it's a fine lesson about empathy it mostly felt preachy.

There were a handful of good gags and word play but I didn't like these two episodes as much as the first two.

Freindship Squad, hell, a LOT of Western animated shows have this problems.  Both the preachiness and the general conceit about asking us to feel empathy for characters that have none of it themselves.  Sorry, but if your characters are obnoxious jackasses that laugh at a guy getting mugged, I don’t give a flying fuck about their image problems.  

Edited by Jman

23 hours ago, ben0119 said:

God damn this is so fucking annoying.

It's just straight-up weird nonsense most of the time!

But it isn't completely without redeeming qualities. Still, it's definitely the worst show on Toonami! That said, it may actually be the best show on Sunday nights, because Dream Corp LLC is complete garbage!

The Death Beat(s) marches on, with 2 more episodes of absurd musical nonsense!

2 AM - Episode 5: Db6

(Is that supposed to be the letter "b" or a flat sign? Does anyone even know, or care?)

To reach the Center of All Death, our heroes board a ferry that's attempting to navigate multiple mythological rivers. Who is more dangerous--some of the dead passengers, or the enigmatic Finnish psychopomp boat captain, Tytti?

2:15 AM - Episode 6: D7#9

The ferry has crashed into the Inuit frozen underworld of Adlivun--but the Hindu death god Yama is waiting for them! Can Makasu escape the religious entities trying to judge his soul?

These episode descriptions sound more interesting than we all know the episodes will be, right? Well, turn your brain off and watch this trainwreck with us!

ONLY TOONAMI...and tomorrow night's 1 AM encore!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mochi said:

y'know if Toonami's that desparate for a stupid comedy anime Excel Saga's just sitting in Funimations catalogue collecting dust

I heard about this show for years but never watched it.  Is that a gag dub or is that how the show actually is? xD

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

I heard about this show for years but never watched it.  Is that a gag dub or is that how the show actually is? xD

just how the show actually is

it's equally as much an anime parody as Perfect hair forever and this show....just....an actual anime