UnevenEdge

hard to believe in a few months it'll be 3 years since black clover joined the block

CountFrylock

-_- I remember when Crunchyroll plugged this so much, I grew permanently tired of it. Thankfully, they only said it was greenlit for one season. Shonen anime is VERY hard to succeed in this highly competitive industry. I'm SURE it won't last just like Toriko.

Then a second season was greenlit.

Then a third season was greenlit...

7 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

and looking at the original promo video i can see the comments on it that kept comparing it to Naruto...Just Naruto Crossed With Harry Potter

I.........did not know it has been with us that long...it only feels like it's been one year

6 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Fairy Tail is what happens when someone really really wants to be Oda but then realizes he can't write for shit and just throws boobs all over the place.

You say that like Fairy Tail was Mashima's first try at shounen. Nobody remembers his real first stab with Rave Master?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Fairy Tail is what happens when someone really really wants to be Oda but then realizes he can't write for shit and just throws boobs all over the place.

Fairy Tail is what happens when you give Oda cart blanche to do what he wants and his editor DOESN'T restrain him.

I am severely upset that Eden's Zero so far looks not ONLY LIKE Fairy Tail, but is just an example of Hiro Mashima not even trying to differentiate it. Eden's Zero is just Mashima saying "I wanna draw a space blaster". No effort. It's like Seth MacFarlane's studio announcing it was making a second original FOX show, only to find out that American Dad is basically just Family Guy with the exact same art style, animation, timing, tone, jokes, and staff (at least initially)!

Ironically, due to the era it came out, Rave Master doesn't look at all like the same art style as Fairy Tail, because at the time it came out, all anime had a very different kind of art style, and it showed Mashima can indeed evolve his work.

Well Mashima's early work was very One Pieceish. 

The guy can draw hot ladies and he comes up with some good stuff... he just needs to hire someone to actually write the uhh... story... part of the anime. 

And he should learn that having a weird Tic is not the same as characters having a personality.

37 minutes ago, elfie said:

I am severely upset that Eden's Zero so far looks not ONLY LIKE Fairy Tail, but is just an example of Hiro Mashima not even trying to differentiate it. Eden's Zero is just Mashima saying "I wanna draw a space blaster". No effort. It's like Seth MacFarlane's studio announcing it was making a second original FOX show, only to find out that American Dad is basically just Family Guy with the exact same art style, animation, timing, tone, jokes, and staff (at least initially)!

Ironically, due to the era it came out, Rave Master doesn't look at all like the same art style as Fairy Tail, because at the time it came out, all anime had a very different kind of art style, and it showed Mashima can indeed evolve his work.

any manservice in it?

On 9/8/2020 at 4:01 PM, CountFrylock said:

Calling Black Clover  GXP is pretty stupid....i have no idea why so many of you here are offended by it's existence

I haven't seen enough of it to say why. But aside from the awful first episodes which really killed any interest I had in seeing more of it... I'd say it was because it just seems like a soulless amalgamation of every other Shonen lumped into one super Shonen. It just seems like every time the author sees something cool in another Shonen he says "OH MAN... that's goin in my anime."

People just didn't have any patience for a mediocre Shonen coming right after MHA.

Supposedly it's gotten better though?

• Like 1

it's gotten a lot better than it's early days

that's my opinion anyways....but it's the opinion of someone who still watches black clover

i think anyone who dropped the series super early and acts like it's some mediocre dumpster fire that's a plague on the toonami block

doesn't have much room to talk

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 2

I would say it's not a stretch that Black Clover singlehandedly CARRIED the block in Early June, when all it had otherwise was MHA reruns, a nostalgia trip, Shippuden, and MORE reruns! Now that JoJo, and AssClass have joined the party, the block is finally more new-to-[as] than reruns, at long last!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

it's gotten a lot better than it's early days

that's my opinion anyways....but it's the opinion of someone who still watches black clover

i think anyone who dropped the series super early and acts like it's some mediocre dumpster fire that's a plague on the toonami block

doesn't have much room to talk

I've forced myself through the whole thing so far and it's still utterly mediocre at best and a raging dumpster fire at worst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

makes me wonder what you consider great

Tell me one thing Black Clover does that hasn't been done much better by at least a dozen other past shounen series. Give me more than two or three characters who aren't solely defined by one single hideously-annoying personality quirk that's repeated ad nauseam every single time they're on-screen. (Any time the Black Bulls are gathered together I want to murder everything.)  Show me one example of the series trying to take itself seriously that hasn't been crippled by ham-fisted writing. About the only thing I'll give Black Clover is that its animation team has managed to produce some jaw-dropping set pieces during big climactic battles. But everything else is derivative paint-by-numbers mediocre shounen with an eminently-punchable cast. 

And what are you even on about Poke. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Top Gun said:

And what are you even on about Poke. 

Spoiler-marked so it isn't as out in the open as it would otherwise be.

Spoiler

Apparently I'm the only one here who's noticed that across all of Toonami's pickups since the start of 2015, your and Angel's opinions have generally aligned when it comes to reception towards the entirely new pickups, particularly the ones you dislike. Akame ga KILL, Dimension W, Tokyo Ghoul, Black Clover, Fire Force whenever Tamaki and/or Hibana are front and center... all of them, the both of you disliked. Reading Angel's weekly comments in the Trunks' thread and glancing over enough of your few-and-far-between comments towards them on here and ANN proved enough for me to come to that conclusion. Food Wars is an exception, since while she disliked it for perfectly understandable reasons, you appeared to like it for its ridiculousness from what little I've seen. I always found that kind of neat, especially with how often your opinions on disliked shows aligned, as mentioned above. That comparison, disagreement on Food Wars included, was what came to mind when I saw CountFrylock sarcastically respond to your "Black Clover sucks" comment, and I thought I'd put it out there before you replied with another "Black Clover sucks" comment. (I'm generally non-biased and laidback when it comes to these sorts of things.)

All in all, I just thought it was a neat little observation that I just wanted to put out there. If you don't want me to bring those sorts of shout-out comparisons up in the future, I'm more than happy to oblige. Just know that there's always a method to my madness, be it my hobby for content ratings or minor fare like this, no matter how incomprehensible that method still is even after a full explanation.

Good speaking with you again. Peace.

Poke, I know you didn't mean anything negative by it, but maybe try to avoid putting opinions into other people's mouths in the future.  My thoughts on series are my own, and I don't align them with anyone else's just for the sake of doing so.  If I've had a lot of the same opinions over the years as someone else, maybe it's because we've both seen enough anime to recognize the massive writing and character development issues that most of the series you mentioned share.  I don't think it's hard to see how multiple people would reach the same conclusions about them.

And I have never once said anything about Food Wars implying that it's "great." What I've said is that it is utterly hilarious, because it commits so hard to its over-the-top nature and never once lets up, and it's a blast to watch because of that.  It's a series that knows exactly what it wants to be and does it very well.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that in what I said, but I can understand how you could see that. I'll make sure not to overstep those boundaries in the future, lest I have another "new LoGH character designs" fiasco on my hands. As for the Food Wars thing, I didn't say with my own words you thought of it like that, but again, I can understand where you're coming from even moreso. Again, all a futile attempt at getting Count off your back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As rough as it is reading some of your posts, you're still a surprisingly considerate guy to talk to, TG. It's always good having you around, no matter how much we may disagree on things.

Edited by PokeNirvash

Has it really been 3 years?

I remember the reception the series initially had and the reaction to the Toonami acquisition.  And I was ready to sit there and make fun of the show with everyone else.  And I gotta say, Asta proclaiming his magic is never giving up was about one of the most corny and cheesiest things I have ever heard!  But the first episode wasn't that bad!  And I gotta say Black Clover only got better as it went on!  And I warmed up to it more and more as it went on and now it's one of the shows I look forward to the most every week!

We just had a wrap-up to that huge arc dealing with the elves and I'd say it was pretty satisfying after all was said and done.  And I really like the progression and growth of the various characters.  Noelle's arc has been especially satisfying to watch.  I like how Asta and Yuno come off as believable and genuine best friends and brothers, unlike Naruto and Sasuke.

There's also the thing that some people seem to miss, this show is a sort of semi-parody of the shonen genre and anime in general.  So all those over-the-top gimmicks the characters have?  It's intentional. 

Asta is the epitome of the happy go lucky determined protagonist with a handicap.  He had no magic so he literally had to constantly work out and train physically to get strong.  I do like that he is apparently not as oblivious as some other protagonists, as he recently seemed somewhat aware of Noelle's feelings for him, whereas Yami was totally clueless about Charlotte.

Noelle is more ridiculous than any tsundere I've ever come across.  She has arguments with herself inside her own head and even got jealous of a little girl spending time with Asta.  But I think it's hilarious and adorable.  And again, I've really enjoyed her growth and development over the course of the series.  When she whipped Solid's ass it was so satisfying.

Grey is the most exaggerated and over the top shy and embarrassed anime girl ever, which is just hilarious to me.  If Grey doesn't prove the parody concept, I don't know what would.

Yami.  He gives no fucks and does he what he wants.  Moreover, he makes fun of literally everyone and everything in the show, almost to a fourth wall level.  There was one episode where the captains met and Yami sat there and basically made fun of everyone the whole time.  Then he flat out asked Vangeance if he uses Light Magic.  You'd never see that in other shows.  Yami definitely proves the parody concept.

As well, I think the anti-racist, anti-classist, general anti-discrimination message Black Clover puts forward, as well as how the women are handled in the series, is commendable.

Edited by ben0119

On 9/7/2020 at 6:47 AM, PokeNirvash said:

You say that like Fairy Tail was Mashima's first try at shounen. Nobody remembers his real first stab with Rave Master?

I actually prefer Rave Master to Fairy Tail.  It got really great past the anime cut off and had a great ending.  I love Fairy Tail too but not as much as Rave Master.

13 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Has it really been 3 years?

I remember the reception the series initially had and the reaction to the Toonami acquisition.  And I was ready to sit there and make fun of the show with everyone else.  And I gotta say, Asta proclaiming his magic is never giving up was about one of the most corny and cheesiest things I have ever heard!  But the first episode wasn't that bad!  And I gotta say Black Clover only got better as it went on!  And I warmed up to it more and more as it went on and now it's one of the shows I look forward to the most every week!

We just had a wrap-up to that huge arc dealing with the elves and I'd say it was pretty satisfying after all was said and done.  And I really like the progression and growth of the various characters.  Noelle's arc has been especially satisfying to watch.  I like how Asta and Yuno come off as believable and genuine best friends and brothers, unlike Naruto and Sasuke.

There's also the thing that some people seem to miss, this show is a sort of semi-parody of the shonen genre and anime in general.  So all those over-the-top gimmicks the characters have?  It's intentional. 

Asta is the epitome of the happy go lucky determined protagonist with a handicap.  He had no magic so he literally had to constantly work out and train physically to get strong.  I do like that he is apparently not as oblivious as some other protagonists, as he recently seemed somewhat aware of Noelle's feelings for him, whereas Yami was totally clueless about Charlotte.

Noelle is more ridiculous than any tsundere I've ever come across.  She has arguments with herself inside her own head and even got jealous of a little girl spending time with Asta.  But I think it's hilarious and adorable.  And again, I've really enjoyed her growth and development over the course of the series.  When she whipped Solid's ass it was so satisfying.

Grey is the most exaggerated and over the top shy and embarrassed anime girl ever, which is just hilarious to me.  If Grey doesn't prove the parody concept, I don't know what would.

Yami.  He gives no fucks and does he what he wants.  Moreover, he makes fun of literally everyone and everything in the show, almost to a fourth wall level.  There was one episode where the captains met and Yami sat there and basically made fun of everyone the whole time.  Then he flat out asked Vangeance if he uses Light Magic.  You'd never see that in other shows.  Yami definitely proves the parody concept.

As well, I think the anti-racist, anti-classist, general anti-discrimination message Black Clover puts forward, as well as how the women are handled in the series, is commendable.

all of this is why I'm surprised there are people here who think black clover is some mediocre series that's comparable to tenchi gxp

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1