UnevenEdge

does no network care about halloween anymore?

CountFrylock

I understand what you mean, but it's not completely dead. AMC has FearFest beginning on October 12th.

While not "Halloween-y," TCM also has Godzilla movies showing every Friday night in October, since he's been declared as their featured monster this year.

On 10/6/2019 at 4:53 PM, CountFrylock said:

doesn't seem like it...even freeform's 31 nights of halloween is a dumpster fire that just spams hocus pocus(including an all day marathon on halloween)and sometimes plays movies unrelated to halloween like ironman...why?

Halloween died back post 9/11. Thankfully it has been coming back slowly the past decade. Though yeah I remember nearly every network in the 90s going full horror when october hit. Nick would have all their Halloween specials Rugrats, Rocko, Hey Arnold, Doug, Angry Beavers, are you afraid of the dark etc.  ABC would show halloween episodes of Home Improvements and Rosanne, Disney had cartoon halloween blocks and would pretty much play horror AMVs; and show the Mr. Boogedy movies and The headless horseman, Every night there were at least 6 horror movies to watch across the different major networks. The list goes on and on, but yeah it feels like networks care less about the season than in the past; or it's that TV is in that bad of a shape that they can't justify the big Halloween specials that we grew up with. In the 90s everyone watched TV, now it's divided among several mediums. 

Ive hear speculation that since most media is owned and operated by Chinese interests now it kina has to do with their opposition to supernatural programming like no ghosts and shit like that remember Ghostbusters 2016 they wouldnt let it play in China they said it was witchcraft or something like that gotta keep the investors happy

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 4:53 PM, CountFrylock said:

doesn't seem like it...even freeform's 31 nights of halloween is a dumpster fire that just spams hocus pocus(including an all day marathon on halloween)and sometimes plays movies unrelated to halloween like ironman...why?

Seconding TCM. I go through their monthly schedule when I can remember and mark a bunch of stuff to watch. I only checked this morning though, so I fucking missed Suspiria and Throne of Blood(maybe not horror but dammit I wanted to see this).

Do you have basic cable?

We have the Starz/Encore tier on our current Dish Network package with other channels like HD.Net Movies, EPIX, Sony, MoviePlex, Retroplex, etc.

Even though we have tons of channels, it is somewhat frustrating that more Halloween and Horror themed movies aren't airing.

However, I find it somewhat irksome that some of the premium channels are showing out of season movies.

Earlier this month, the original and remake versions of My Bloody Valentine aired. Like why?

Considering it's a Valentine's Day Slasher Horror film, save that movie for the first 2 months of the new year; Save it for January and February NOT October.

Early Saturday evening, HD.Net Movies aired Secret Window, which was based on Stephen King's novella Secret Window, Secret Garden.

I contacted STARZ via e-mail and social media requesting them to air Wolf. For the last 25 years, I haven't seen Wolf in its entirety.

Last year, The Sony Channel aired it only once and I missed the first 30 minutes of the movie. It aired early in the morning. Had I not been scrolling through the TV Guide, I would've missed the entire movie.

Rather than STARZ and Encore Suspense constantly re-airing the SCREAM trilogies throughout the year, the networks should be airing Wolf and some other Classic Horror films from the '90s and older.

James Spader, Jack Nicholson, and Michelle Pfeiffer were the stars of Wolf. Seeing those 3 in the same movie together is hard to come by.

Michelle and Jack have played in more than 1 movie together, especially in Horror.

Now, James Spader being in the same movie with them happened I believe only once within the last 3 decades. It's amazing that he hasn't been in more Horror.

This may sound like I'm fangirling over him, but James Spader has the ability to play quirky, creepy, evil, and sleazy roles to the extent that he can make someone's skin crawl. At least it seems that way to me.

You can get youtube TV. It has loads of horror films, pretty much everything that'll be airing that month on the channels and you can save movies to a DVR as well. You can watch movies that are playing live or just pick them netflix style. The main issue with it is that you're going to end up with edited TV versions of the movies. Friday the 13th through AMC is going to be a lot of off screen deaths. I re-watched night of the living dead 1990 tonight on it through the sundance channel, and all the gun shots and Johnny's head getting smacked off the tombstone were cut away, and swear words were edited. Hearing Ben tell Cooper that he's a pain in his butt instead of ass really takes you out of a scene.  Also I'm not the biggest fan of netflix style viewing movies if I want to binge. I've seen too many horror films, so everything of quality by this point. It's difficult to actually 100% commit to really selecting a movie anymore. Where with a live showing I can flick to another movie during dull parts of one movie and flick back. Really useful when you've seen a movie so many times that you know the exact dialogue, actors names, real location of the filming, the name of the damn camera guy and directors thought process while shooting the scene etc. I love horror films, but it does feel like 90% of the time when I watch them anymore unless I'm with other people that they're just background noise. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't have any premium channels like the Encore Starz packages, for example, you're not seeing much Horror. Several movies have aired within the last few hours to days, regarding the genre.

HD.Net Movies aired Ghoulies I and II the other night and morning. Friday The 13th, Halloween, Seed Of Chucky, etc. have been airing for the last week to month on different channels.

If you want to see Horror or anything that is Halloween oriented, you may want to invest in a different cable/satellite provider. Otherwise, you may want to add more premium channels to your package.

If you think that's annoying, imagine being someone who is a part of the Horror industry and having to deal with those in sales and marketing only wanting to promote Horror, during the month of October.

Follow that up with highly misinformed people, who have been conditioned to believe that Horror is only meant to be enjoyed during Halloween, when the genre is NOT a Halloween Only genre.

I Think what really sucks is that no company ever seems to give a crap about halloween and if they have to...they'll put in the bare minimum amount of work for it

but christmas? they'll go all out!

they all seem so eager to just push halloween off a cliff if it meant christmas took it's place in the spotlight

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:36 PM, PurgatoryGirl said:

Halloween, Veterans Day, and Thanksgiving are only 3 of the holidays before Christmas yet they always get the shaft, which is annoying.

I want to enjoy our other holidays before I have to drain my wallet to buy Christmas presents.

yeah it's like they wanna celebrate christmas earlier and earlier....most people don't even think about halloween until the very last minute because it's just seen as a kids holiday