UnevenEdge

Gen:LOCK Episode 1 kinda abridged discussion

Lupin and Gundam have never drawn. Gen is going to get spanked. Food Wars loses to every show on the lineup in the key demo.

Their second best ratings show is dead last on the block.

This is pretty bad.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jman said:

Most of the shows aren’t bad, just old.  MHA is out of date thanks to streaming, same with The Origin.  It’s only Food Wars and this that are missteps on the content front.

That's only true with the OVA version of The Origin, NOT the TV series.

But it does disqualify it from being a dub premiere since it's the same show.

7 hours ago, Daos said:

Lupin and Gundam have never drawn. Gen is going to get spanked. Food Wars loses to every show on the lineup in the key demo.

Their second best ratings show is dead last on the block.

This is pretty bad.

That’s because the last few Gundam shows they’ve aired were Netflix staples, frequently listed as among the top watched.  They just released a mobile game that easily beat all its pre-registration goals.  And of course, these reruns still beat a few shows before them.

Lupin...unfortunately yeah, that is true.

Agreed, I actually liked this more than I was expecting myself to, based on the expectations of others from you-know-where. Them disliking it wasn't a surprise, but Reddit too? Man, can't people just look past decent animation they're clearly not used to already, regardless of story quality?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Top Gun said:

The character animation is...not great.  But the action choreography was just superb.  And those were literal BattleMechs walking around.  On my Toonami.  C'mon.

The character animation is passable. They look less like the usual "superdeformed" anime characters we're used to seeing on Toonami and a lot more live-action-esque, if that makes any sense at all. But damn right the fight choreography is superb! I'd say that gets an "A+," while the character design is a solid "B-"

Oh, and if you wanna see the whole episode, here it is, courtesy of Rooster Teeth and YouTube! See if you can figure out what got cut!

Also, why couldn't Toonami have just shown THIS version of the ED/future OP, or perhaps cut it entirely and showed it in the future? It's more helpful since it shows which actors and actresses play which characters!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 12:59 PM, Top Gun said:

In any case that kicked major ass and I absolutely want more of it. Battletech meets Top Gun meets Super Sentai Gundam with great action direction? Right in my veins please. 

The Battletech/Mechwarrior mechs and planes and stuff were cool but the animation was horrible.

On 8/5/2019 at 6:37 PM, Top Gun said:

The character animation is...not great.  But the action choreography was just superb.  And those were literal BattleMechs walking around.  On my Toonami.  C'mon.

I mean it's pretty much fine if robots look stiff and janky with their movements, but not people.

On 8/6/2019 at 1:02 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

The character animation is passable. They look less like the usual "superdeformed" anime characters we're used to seeing on Toonami and a lot more live-action-esque, if that makes any sense at all. But damn right the fight choreography is superb! I'd say that gets an "A+," while the character design is a solid "B-"

Super-deformed would be chibi, etc.  The character designs aren't the issue.  It's the fact that old Rankin Bass Christmas specials have more lifelike movements.

Edited by ben0119

On 8/5/2019 at 12:55 PM, Top Gun said:

ITT people still give a shit about ratings numbers in 2019. 

I don't care about ratings unless they get bad enough for the show or block I'm following to potentially get canceled.  Granted, higher ratings means more people to share and discuss it with, which is nice, but I'm fine with being a fan of a niche property too.

• Like 2