UnevenEdge

Trying to find a house for rent

Swimmod_Luna

Our lease is up end of June and we're trying to get a house this time instead of an apartment.

Seems like it's a lot harder to find a house than an apartment though. Finding something in our price range that's suitable is tough enough, then you finally find one that looks good and it's a whole thing just trying to schedule a time to see the house.

We saw one last night that was pretty much perfect. Told the agent we wanted to put in an application and even came prepped with our paystubs because we knew from seeing it online we were gonna love the house. Gave him the paystubs and our e-mail addresses and he said he'd send us the application. Nothing.

It doesn't take 20k for a down payment unless you're trying to buy a  2+ story estate honestly. Buying a house was cheaper than renting for me, but location smocation vocation...or whatever they say. You'll need money for escrow, and at least a few grand put back for a down payment unless you can find a special offer or loan though so I get you. I can agree with Fuggs only enough to say don't rule out the option completely until you've viewed the real estate for sale.. I'm paying a lower amount for my mortgage than I could find any apartment studio or otherwise atm.

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

It doesn't take 20k for a down payment unless you're trying to buy a  2+ story estate honestly. Buying a house was cheaper than renting for me, but location smocation vocation...or whatever they say. You'll need money for escrow, and at least a few grand put back for a down payment unless you can find a special offer or loan though so I get you. I can agree with Fuggs only enough to say don't rule out the option completely until you've viewed the real estate for sale.. I'm paying a lower amount for my mortgage than I could find any apartment studio or otherwise atm.

I have no idea how much dawn payments are <_< But I mean the point still stands I don't exactly have enough for any down payment sitting around, at least not without wiping out 100% of our liquid assets which probably isn't a good idea when you first buy a house. I know a mortgage would be cheaper each month but the down payment is the only thing stopping us now. We're hoping this will be our last rental. Stay here for a few years while saving up for a down payment and then buy a nice lil house.

• Like 1

Just now, Naraku4656 said:

i bought a house three years ago with 5% down. it's a conventional loan and not an FHA. i do pay PMI on it but it's like 80 a month so if you can do it like me you'd pay PMI but not enough for it to really matter

We'll probably just save up for a year or two and then look into buying. Housing is pretty cheap here so I'm thinking around 150k would get us pretty much any house we would want since we don't really need anything too big or new/fancy. 5% of that is really doable. Like we could even do it now if we wanted to have absolutely no savings left (which of course we don't thus why we're gonna wait a bit).

1 minute ago, Athena 92 said:

We'll probably just save up for a year or two and then look into buying. Housing is pretty cheap here so I'm thinking around 150k would get us pretty much any house we would want since we don't really need anything too big or new/fancy. 5% of that is really doable. Like we could even do it now if we wanted to have absolutely no savings left (which of course we don't thus why we're gonna wait a bit).

i honestly forget how much cash i put down. i know how much it was all totally with the lender fees and whatnot and it certainly wasn't cheap. housing here is a bit more expensive though. i think you told me once you made around 40k so a house that's 150 is probably fine for debt/asset ratio if you put enough down.

1 minute ago, Naraku4656 said:

i honestly forget how much cash i put down. i know how much it was all totally with the lender fees and whatnot and it certainly wasn't cheap. housing here is a bit more expensive though. i think you told me once you made around 40k so a house that's 150 is probably fine for debt/asset ratio if you put enough down.

Combined we might make about that but I don't remember ever saying I alone make that much because I sure don't <_< By the time we're ready to buy Kidney will probably be working a real job so we should be good.

1 minute ago, Athena 92 said:

Combined we might make about that but I don't remember ever saying I alone make that much because I sure don't <_< By the time we're ready to buy Kidney will probably be working a real job so we should be good.

is the cost of living up there really cheap?

Buying a house sounds like a nightmare. I see myself living in apartments for the rest of my life.

I don't like the idea of committing to one location for most of my life. That shit scares me.

2 hours ago, Athena 92 said:

Our lease is up end of June and we're trying to get a house this time instead of an apartment.

Seems like it's a lot harder to find a house than an apartment though. Finding something in our price range that's suitable is tough enough, then you finally find one that looks good and it's a whole thing just trying to schedule a time to see the house.

We saw one last night that was pretty much perfect. Told the agent we wanted to put in an application and even came prepped with our paystubs because we knew from seeing it online we were gonna love the house. Gave him the paystubs and our e-mail addresses and he said he'd send us the application. Nothing.

I know that feeling. Real estate for houses is stupid. Houses for rent are hard to come by in this market. Even if you have perfect records and everything.

4 minutes ago, Athena 92 said:

Absolutely. NE Ohio is super affordable and also a great place to live if you know what areas to avoid.

ok cus i was going to say a combined of 40k is going to be rough to get approved on but i guess if it's normal for your area you might be ok

2 minutes ago, Gyaos said:

Buying a house sounds like a nightmare. I see myself living in apartments for the rest of my life.

I don't like the idea of committing to one location for most of my life. That shit scares me.

I'm tired of apartments so renting a house seemed like a good next step. I'm getting tired of moving every few years though I'm looking forward to buying someday and just staying in one place for awhile.

5 minutes ago, Gyaos said:

Packing up and moving every two years lowers your credit score.

• D'oh 1

3 minutes ago, lupin_bebop said:

I know that feeling. Real estate for houses is stupid. Houses for rent are hard to come by in this market. Even if you have perfect records and everything.

There are plenty available but it's hard to find one in decent shape in our budget. That's why we're really excited about this one we saw yesterday. It's an older house but in decent shape. The agent finally sent us the background check form so fingers crossed. One other couple came to look at it while we were there and then one more as we were leaving.

1 minute ago, 1938 Packard said:

Not really. Not all places do hard inquires and even if they do that only stays on your record for two years and the impact is so tiny it's barely worth mentioning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Naraku4656 said:

ok cus i was going to say a combined of 40k is going to be rough to get approved on but i guess if it's normal for your area you might be ok

Oh ya dude this area is super cheap. Only downside is u have to live in Cleveland.

4 minutes ago, Athena 92 said:

There are plenty available but it's hard to find one in decent shape in our budget. That's why we're really excited about this one we saw yesterday. It's an older house but in decent shape. The agent finally sent us the background check form so fingers crossed. One other couple came to look at it while we were there and then one more as we were leaving.

Like I said. It's stupid. Too fucking many hoops.

Try buying that house. A LOT fewer hoops.

2 minutes ago, Naraku4656 said:

it's a lot more expensive here than when i moved here because everyone like me moved from the north

The Flats now has apartments that start at like, $2000 a month. For a one bedroom. 10 years ago it was mostly just abandoned buildings.

20 minutes ago, 1938 Packard said:

Depends on the apartment. A lot of landlords I've dealt with certainly gave little thought to checking people's credit scores when I consider the neighbors I've had to deal with over the years.

Also, my previous post was a bit of an exaggeration, but I really, REALLY do not want to commit to anything--not even a relationship. A mortgage is a life sentence unless I put the house on the market. In this area, that would never fly, because the population is always declining and never growing.

i googled it out of curiosity and they're trying to charge almost A THOUSAND a month for those same shitty apartments and 1,100 for a renovated one. what the fuck. i didn't feel those were worth 770 which is why i moved out

Edited by Naraku4656

1 hour ago, Gyaos said:

Depends on the apartment. A lot of landlords I've dealt with certainly gave little thought to checking people's credit scores when I consider the neighbors I've had to deal with over the years.

Also, my previous post was a bit of an exaggeration, but I really, REALLY do not want to commit to anything--not even a relationship. A mortgage is a life sentence unless I put the house on the market. In this area, that would never fly, because the population is always declining and never growing.

There's another factor involved that most people don't consider.  The people who calculate scores think that when you relocate too often, you're likely to end up moving into place that you really can't afford and start skipping out on any debt payments.  They're not just looking at what you are actually doing with your credit, they are also taking guesses at you are likely to do, based on long term observations of people who behave similarly.

While handling your credit responsibly can win a high score for you, part of your score is also calculated based on perceived risk factors.

Edited by 1938 Packard
  • D'oh 2

15 minutes ago, 1938 Packard said:

There's another factor involved that most people don't consider.  The people who calculate scores think that when you relocate too often, you're likely to end up moving into place that you really can't afford and start skipping out on any debt payments.  They're not just looking at what you are actually doing with your credit, they are also taking guesses at you are likely to do, based on long term observations of people who behave similarly.

@Clu

8 hours ago, 1938 Packard said:

While handling your credit responsibly can win a high score for you, part of your score is also calculated based on perceived risk factors.

11 hours ago, 1938 Packard said:

"That's not how ANY of that works. Period."
Source: My mom, who has been in real estate and sold houses for over 30 years. Now in corporate real estate.

1 hour ago, Quackers said:

fuggs it is impossible to buy a house in 30 days wtf

Don't bother. She doesn't understand shit about being an adult. She's used to being a side piece for man-babies and her mom raises her and her child. Just ignore whatever she is about to say to you. No "grain of salt" taking.....just straight ignore it, man.
Giving you your fair warning now.

45 minutes ago, Athena 92 said:

That's when our lease is up.

I am so sorry I was unclear. I shall elaborate. Yes, do what you must when your lease is up but I would recommend focusing your energies in the far future into home ownership much much later in order to save money and earn equity and make your money work for you in the long run. I am sorry about my brash words for I do not have time to really go into deep deep detail often much. I only wish the best for your future endeavors.

29 minutes ago, lupin_bebop said:

I should clarify.....she worked with a BANK in real estate. A lender. So yeah......it does.

Was she at all affiliated with Transunion or another credit reporting agency?

Or, was she just reading the scores that were presented to her without bothering to check for risk factors?

• D'oh 1

16 minutes ago, 1938 Packard said:

Was she at all affiliated with Transunion or another credit reporting agency?

Or, was she just reading the scores that were presented to her without bothering to check for risk factors?

The BANK is, jackass. They get the full report.
You know what a "lender" is....right? You do know what they look for before they LEND, right?

7 minutes ago, lupin_bebop said:

The BANK is, jackass. They get the full report.
You know what a "lender" is....right? You do know what they look for before they LEND, right?

You're making a claim that credit reporting agencies don't calculate risk factors (high risk behavior) into credit scores.

The lenders only read the scores, income and debt to asset ratio.  They don't have access to risk behavior analysis.  Only the reporting agencies do. 

I have filed for AND RECEIVED three mortgages in my lifetime.  In no case did the LENDERS look at more than my score, income and debt to asset ratio.  The reporting agencies look deeper and won't share their entire formula with the lenders.

This is why two people who have identical patterns of paying bills in full and on schedule could have two radically different scores.

• D'oh 1

2 minutes ago, 1938 Packard said:

You're making a claim that credit reporting agencies don't calculate risk factors (high risk behavior) into credit scores.

The lenders only read the scores, income and debt to asset ratio.  They don't have access to risk behavior analysis.  Only the reporting agencies do. 

I have filed for AND RECEIVED three mortgages in my lifetime.  In no case did the LENDERS look at more than my score, income and debt to asset ratio.  The reporting agencies look deeper and won't share their entire formula with the lenders.

This is why two people who have identical patterns of paying bills in full and on schedule could have two radically different scores.

giphy.gif

Lenders have the same view of ris--......you know what.....it's just easier to say "Shut the fuck up, Packard. You're a fucking idiot" and move on.