UnevenEdge

Toonami has decided to stop airing promo's for boruto and MHA

CountFrylock

https://ask.fm/Clarknova

"

"We’ve announced all of those things except for the Tumblr slowly over the last month or two. The stream did well but the cost was getting too high to maintain it, and doing so many topical promos every week was too much of a drain on our small staff.
As for the tumblr, it was going fine but frankly after their ridiculous decisions of late we just felt like it wasn’t something we were interested in maintainin"

Edited by CountFrylock

30 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Why NOW though!? Maybe Boruto I get, but MHA?? When it's on the cusp of Season 3!?

this is what i can't understand...and it's something that worries me because if these promo's have started to become too much of a hassle for the staff then there's a good chance then eventually we won't see any toonami promo's at all

If you've never edited videos, yes it's a very time-consuming job, on the level of a minute for each second of screen time.

But yeah, I could see SAO: Alicization move up to 11:30 and Mob Psycho 100 return at Midnight with season 2.

Meanwhile MHA would follow that and Bo may fall all the way to 2:30 to lead-in to Shippuden...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

I Have my doubts that Boruto would fall that hard(Is SAO That Popular to really justify starting right after DB Super?)

i guess this bums me out because having no hype promo's for MHA And Boruto isn't exactly a good thing....and for first time viewers having to google the next episode description leaves you wide open to spoilers for that episode and ones after it

5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

https://ask.fm/Clarknova

"

"We’ve announced all of those things except for the Tumblr slowly over the last month or two. The stream did well but the cost was getting too high to maintain it, and doing so many topical promos every week was too much of a drain on our small staff.
As for the tumblr, it was going fine but frankly after their ridiculous decisions of late we just felt like it wasn’t something we were interested in maintainin"

Kinda mentioned this on the board yesterday but I suppose it doesn't have its own thread so okay.

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

this is what i can't understand...and it's something that worries me because if these promo's have started to become too much of a hassle for the staff then there's a good chance then eventually we won't see any toonami promo's at all

Because it's no longer their newest acquisition, and is no longer first in the block.  When they get another new show, SAO will stop getting topicals too.

57 minutes ago, elfie said:

More like they just wanted a lighter workload.

still kinda sucks because Boruto's not been on that long and already it's hype train's dead

although now i just imagine the toonami crew being ridiculously smaller than i imagined(like small enough to work from inside someone's garage)

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Sad 1

I thought MHA's topicals were flawed from the beginning when they said "on the next all-new episode..." when almost everyone knew the dub of that show was NOT new since it was a FUNimation broadcast dub/"simul-dub." But I question the timing of this. It seems it would have been better to finish out Season 2, do a long-form blowout promo for the Season 3 premiere, then relegate it to bumpers and schedule promos.

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

still kinda sucks because Boruto's not been on that long and already it's hype train's dead

although now i just imagine the toonami crew being ridiculously smaller than i imagined(like small enough to work from inside someone's garage)

Due

Dude they haven't been consistent with what they cover in topicals for YEARS.  Why are we just now getting annoyed by this?

Well if they're gonna cut down on topicals, some nice touches, such as acknowledging mid-season/season/series finales like they did with One-Punch Man and I believe with Attack On Titan Season 2. We didn't hear that with AOT Season 3A or Mob Psycho Season 1. Maybe we will with Megalobox and eventually AOT Season 3B?

Edited by OwlChemist81

1 hour ago, Ginguy said:

Guys, "advertising anime doesn't work"

-Lazzo

“Why are people watching Netflix?  No I’m not jealous!  FLCL sequels were a great idea!” - Jason DeMarco.

I have no opinion on the topicals, but is there sufficient shoe hype?

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 2:58 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Well, they seem to be showing the schedule promo more often, especially during The Boondocks at 1 AM weeknights Monday-Thursday. That ain't a bad tradeoff!!

I’d rather they regularly show the lineup promo than do topicals for several shows.

i don’t think Boruto and MHA are likely to shift down. Maybe MHA for Mob or new Titan but Boruto is holding Super better than MHA did.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

While I don't mind the lack of topicals, I'm kinda starting to grow tired of the lineup promos, mostly in how TOM and SARA try to force creative ways of saying [INSERT SHOW HERE] is on at [INSERT TIME HERE].

They just keep making similar lines about making magic whenever they get to Black Clover. It’s pretty uninspired.

if it's too much of a workload then just cut out the stuff that doesn't need to be promoted every single week

Boruto Is The Second Tier Show Right After Super and i think that needs all the promo work it can get if toonami wants it to be Recognized

nobody needs to be told DB Super exists every single week They'll sit down and watch it regardless

less can be said for Boruto And MHA However

On 3/7/2019 at 10:57 PM, CountFrylock said:

if it's too much of a workload then just cut out the stuff that doesn't need to be promoted every single week

Boruto Is The Second Tier Show Right After Super and i think that needs all the promo work it can get if toonami wants it to be Recognized

nobody needs to be told DB Super exists every single week They'll sit down and watch it regardless

less can be said for Boruto And MHA However

Every single week they don't run a topical for Super the Facebook is flooded with comments asking if DBS was still airing. They should probably keep doing those.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, Sketch said:

Every single week they don't run a topical for Super the Facebook is flooded with comments asking if DBS was still airing. They should probably keep doing those.

those comments are usually from trolls...anyone who'd actually think toonami would just up and stop airin DBS is a complete moron

just saying if you can only do a few topicals then maybe just focus on what needs the attention and hype fuel instead of what's been the Leader of the pack for ages now

dragon ball doesn't need a hype man it's building hype fuel without toonami's ads

the same cannot be said for boruto  people won't watch boruto just because it's naruto related to the extent that people watch DBS just cause it's dragon ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

those comments are usually from trolls...anyone who'd actually think toonami would just up and stop airin DBS is a complete moron

just saying if you can only do a few topicals then maybe just focus on what needs the attention and hype fuel instead of what's been the Leader of the pack for ages now

dragon ball doesn't need a hype man it's building hype fuel without toonami's ads

the same cannot be said for boruto  people won't watch boruto just because it's naruto related to the extent that people watch DBS just cause it's dragon ball

Not that SAO has much hype material right now but most of those Boruto topicals only made it more apparent that not a dang interesting thing happens in that show.

The OP has done nothing but shit up the joint for much of the time they've been here, so I wouldn't bother with a response even mildly pedantic.

I do still think getting rid of most topicals was a good idea. There was never a good reason to do them for every premiere. That we're now back to the standard for 2017 and such, where DB Super and the most recent/noteworthy new show gets promoted every week, is a lot better than flooding the airwaves with promos that won't attract much viewership. Plus, it's good to get the Toonami name out there in advertising anyway.

On 3/14/2019 at 12:35 PM, Blatch said:

The OP has done nothing but shit up the joint for much of the time they've been here, so I wouldn't bother with a response even mildly pedantic.

I do still think getting rid of most topicals was a good idea. There was never a good reason to do them for every premiere. That we're now back to the standard for 2017 and such, where DB Super and the most recent/noteworthy new show gets promoted every week, is a lot better than flooding the airwaves with promos that won't attract much viewership. Plus, it's good to get the Toonami name out there in advertising anyway.

i agree overloading probably wasn't the best idea but that's why it would have been best to just have A Few for what needs attention and popularity instead of doing them for what doesn't need the extra help

DBS is the new england patriots of toonami  You Don't need to really try hard to get people invested in it or talking about it

it's highly unlikely there will be a new DB Series ready by the time DBS Concludes on Toonami so wouldn't it best to be prepping either boruto or MHA as the new leader of the pack when super concludes?

get one of them ingrained in everyone's minds and promote it as a show you really need to see

if not then we'll just run into one of two situations...DB Super Ends and we have nothing comparable to lead the block so toonami falters or DB Super Ends and the block is led with A Rerun of Super which will do well enough but over time A Rerun leading the block has always ended poorly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1