UnevenEdge

Winter Anime 2017

BUU8800

Well we're in the sixth week of our Fall series. And having just turned the clocks back and finished a grueling election we look ahead to a new year with winter's cold and dark embrace. And what better way to enter the harshest months of the year than with some anime? The Lists:

MAL

AniChart

LiveChart

So, what looks good all? Here's what I'm planning on watching along with brief thoughts:

NEW:

1.) BanG Dream! - I'm really liking the character designs for this. That said, it's a music series so I'm hoping for a mixture of some slice of life elements.

2.) elDLIVE - Not really sure what to expect here, but it's a Shonen Jump Plus series so hopefully something good and actiony.

3.) Gabriel DropOut - The premise sounds fun and art looks good. Should be a fun time.

4.) Granblue Fantasy The Animation - I'm unfamiliar with the source game, but hoping for a good fantasy/action-esque series.

5.) Idol Jihen - I tend to lump this together with BanG Dream! in my mind so similar expectations. I don't watch too many idol shows, but it could be fun.

6.) Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon - I'm current with the manga and I love it. Character designs are a bit different, and I worry some of the ecchi may be toned down, but this should be good.

7.) KONOSUBA, Season 2 - Season 1 was surprisingly excellent and I hope/look forward eagerly for more.

8.) Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club - Expecting a more polished Long Riders! from this season. Hopefully without the production delays.

9.) Piace: Watashi no Italian - A restaurant themed slice of life? What's not to like?

10.) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Season 2 - I made a discussion thread on the ASMB for Season 1 as it aired, I intend to for this season 2. Assuming no one else does. Season 1 was top notch stuff. This will likely vie with KONOSUBA for best series of the season.

11.) Urara Meirochou - Standard cgdct slice of life expected here.

ON-GOING:

1.) 3-gatsu no Lion - A very good series so far, both artistically and emotionally. Very glad it's sticking around a bit longer.

2.) Dragon Ball Super - Classic, nuff said.

3.) One Piece - It's One Piece, it'll never end!

4.) Twin Star Exorcists - This anime-only arc has been really lackluster, but I'll see this final cour through to the end...probably.

15 series total, down just a bit from the fall. There are some other shows on my radar, but I'll check those out sporadically, if at all.

Definitely watch:  Yowamushi Pedal S3

Will check out:

1. Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu - Sounds similar to Long Riders!

2. Gabriel DropOut

3. BanG Dream!

4. Place: Watashi no Italian

5. Blue Exorcist S2

6. Masamune-kun no Revenge

Maybe:

Seiren

Fuuka

Looks like a pretty underwhelming season.  Not a good start to 2017.

Edit:  I voted for Yowamushi S3 in the poll.

Definitely will check out:

Gabriel Dropout - Dogakobo comedy headed by Masahiko Ohta, my favorite comedy director.

Kobayashi-san - KyoAni and from what I've heard of manga readers is this is rather yuri-tinged.

ACCA - Seems like it'll be drooped in political/bureaucratic commentary in a 1984-esque police-state. That setting alone pulls me in.

Little Witch Academy - I've enjoyed the two movies put out by Trigger, so I'll be watching this.

Rewrite 2 - Hell, I put up with the anime-only route, might as well watch what the VN-readers have raved about. It'll be another terrible adaptation I'm sure.

Urara Meirochou - Cute girls divining cute things. Lovely promo art.

So...I know this is for Winter, but seeing as there was no Fall thread due to the move I'll ask this here:

Best op/ed of the Fall Season anyone?

For my money Poco's Udon World's got the best ed. Full Version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE5BHIOu42U

The op ain't bad either mind you, but that ed! 8 times now I've heard the tv version and all 8 times made me tear up. So damn emotional!

Flip Flappers has a good ed too:

The animation itself stands out the most. The girls holding hands skipping at the 50 second mark's my favorite part.

3-gatsu's ending is quite emotional too:

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x4wobb7" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="

target="_blank">Sangatsu no Lion ED</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/udacsere589

Not quite on Poco's level for me, but having both back2back on Saturdays makes for quite the punch.

There are other good ones, Keijo!!!!!!!! comes to mind, but I've posted enough. Ditto op. Feels like in general we have a larger amount of good ones than the Summer had. So...anyone else?

Top 3 OP of Fall 2016 Shows that I'm watching

(I had to upload it to Youtube myself as private link, impossible to find otherwise)

3. Stella no Mahou

Top 3 ED of Fall 2016 Shows that I'm watching

1. Sangatsu no Lion

2. Stella no Mahou

EDIT: Looks like videos are getting eaten. here's the text version:

OP: 1. The Great Passage  2. Scorching Ping Pong Girls  3. Stella no Mahou

ED: 1. 3-gatsu no Lion  2. Stella no Mahou  3. Flip Flappers

• 4 weeks later...

I don't normally go this in-depth, but here's what I'll definitely be watching:

- Gintama

- Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 2

- Ai Mai Mii 3

The full shows I'll check out are:

- ACCA

- Akiba's Trip: The Animation

- BanG Dream!

- Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga

- Chain Chronicle TV

- Chaos;Child

- Demi-chan

- ēlDLIVE

- Fuuka

- Gabriel Dropout

- Hand Shakers

- Idol Incidents

- Kemono Friends

- MaiDragon

- Masamune-kun's Revenge

- Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitenshabu (biking)

- Onihei

- Schoolgirl Strikers: Animation Channel

- Seiren

- Spiritpact

- Urara Meirochou

- Youjo Senki

I'll check out the other shorts, too, but no idea what to expect there. I guess that list is most everything, but I did leave off sequels to shows I didn't care about, and the male idol show, so I did do a little research.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't normally go this in-depth, but here's what I'll definitely be watching:

- Gintama

- Ai Mai Mii 3

The full shows I'll check out are:

- ACCA

- BanG Dream!

- Chain Chronicle TV

- Chaos;Child

- Demi-chan

- ēlDLIVE

- Fuuka

- Gabriel Dropout

- Hand Shakers

- Idol Incidents

- Kemono Friends

- MaiDragon

- Masamune-kun's Revenge

- Onihei

- Seiren

- Spiritpact

- Urara Meirochou

- Youjo Senki

I'll check out the other shorts, too, but no idea what to expect there. I guess that list is most everything, but I did leave off sequels to shows I didn't care about, and the male idol show, so I did do a little research.

So, I'm updating my list for this season after some stuff has aired.

Still watching:

- Gintama

- Ai Mai Mii 3

- ACCA

- Demi-chan

- Gabriel Dropout

- Youjo Senki

Dropped:

- Chain Chronicle TV (only watched the first movie)

- ēlDLIVE

- Fuuka

- Hand Shakers

- Idol Incidents

- Kemono Friends

- Masamune-kun's Revenge

- Seiren

- Spiritpact

Haven't watched yet:

- BanG Dream!

- Chaos;Child

- MaiDragon

- Onihei

- Urara Meirochou

I watched the first episode of Spirit Pact, read the comments which said it was first released as Soul Contract, and then watched all of that. I enjoyed parts of it, but it was the part of my brain that will like even the most mediocre of BL shows. The jokes feel outdated, but I actually thought the ghost dude was cute in a hyper way and he didn't end up useless like I thought he would. As a writer, I got a lot of plot bunnies of how to make a better version of this, but regular viewers probably won't be into it long enough to finish it.

The only shows I've watched so far are Demi-chan and Urara Meirochou. I've been meaning go watch Gabriel Dropout and Little Witch Academia. Saw 5 minutes of Hand Shakers cause the crappy art was hilarious, but I got bored quickly.

Gabriel Dropout is extremely good.  I haven't watched much this season yet but it's my favorite out of all the new shows.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm updating my list for this season after some stuff has aired.

Still watching:

- Gintama

- Ai Mai Mii 3

- ACCA

- Demi-chan

- Gabriel Dropout

- Youjo Senki

Dropped:

- ēlDLIVE

- Fuuka

- Hand Shakers

- Idol Incidents

- Kemono Friends

- Masamune-kun's Revenge

- Seiren

- Spiritpact

Haven't watched yet:

- BanG Dream!

- Chaos;Child

- MaiDragon

- Onihei

- Urara Meirochou

Feel like updating:

Still watching:

- Gintama.

- Ai Mai Mii 3

- ACCA

- Demi-chan

- Gabriel Dropout

- Minami Kamakura High School Girls Bicycling Club

- Youjo Senki

- MaiDragon

- BanG Dream!

Dropped:

- ēlDLIVE

- Fuuka

- Hand Shakers

- Idol Incidents

- Kemono Friends

- Masamune-kun's Revenge

- Seiren

- Spiritpact

- Chaos;Child

Anime Strike/Netflix, so not watching (weekly):

- Onihei

- Urara Meirochou

- Little Witch Academia

ACCA still the best new show, but MaiDragon is a close second.

Rakugo

Kobayashi

KonoSuba

Remain my Top 3. BanG Dream's second episode was far cuter than the first, but I was exhaustedly tired when I was watching the first so maybe it was better than I remember. MAL has it at 25 episodes, which if true surprises me greatly. Of all the shows airing this season I never woulda guessed it would get 2 cours. Urara, Minami, and Idol are very cute and enjoyably relaxing too. Overall not a bad season. Only Rewrite kinda sucks huge ass so far. So confusing I've already given up trying to figure it out. Not bad enough to drop, but I've been tempted to.

Rakugo

Kobayashi

KonoSuba

Remain my Top 3. BanG Dream's second episode was far cuter than the first, but I was exhaustedly tired when I was watching the first so maybe it was better than I remember. MAL has it at 25 episodes, which if true surprises me greatly. Of all the shows airing this season I never woulda guessed it would get 2 cours. Urara, Minami, and Idol are very cute and enjoyably relaxing too. Overall not a bad season. Only Rewrite kinda sucks huge ass so far. So confusing I've already given up trying to figure it out. Not bad enough to drop, but I've been tempted to.

Putting Rakugo in the same category of other anime just doesn't seem fair.

It feels like Key haven't had a good story since Clannad, since I don't really count Angel Beats in the same category. Little Busters was too boring to stick with it, and Rewrite was far too confusing for me to even try.

I think it's fair. Rakugo season 1 wasn't the best anime of winter 2016 for me and only ranked 6 on my yearly top 10 list so it's not like I consider it unbeatable or anything. Admittedly I already love season 2 more than 1, but we still have 2/3 of the way to go so anything can happen.

Clannad's tragic ending was spoiled for me so I refused to ever watch it, and I could only get through one episode of Angel Beats due to boredom funnily enough. Rewrite's not good, but it's easier for me to watch than either of them. I had no idea they were all made by the same people. Or maybe I did but forgot.

So...how we liking this season's openings and endings? Any favorites? Perhaps it'll come as no surprise, but my favorites come from the shows I consider the best of the season.

First, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Season 2, for perfectly conveying the brooding, melancholic atmosphere/world weariness that seems to surround Yakumo. It gets me perfectly in the mood for every episode and gives off vibes unlike anything else I'm really watching this season:

And on the complete opposite end of the spectrum we've got the goofy, random upbeat bubbliness of Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon's op:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyGBqeSUDPw

God I love those dragons dancing/wiggling. :D

If I had a 3rd place it'd go to KonoSuba Season 2's op:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRkHCaLK6x0

Some great dancing here too, and those facial expressions! :D

Get 'em before youtube inevitably takes 'em down! :D Not as sure on the best endings for this season. None seem to really stick out in my mind atm...

The wiggling dance is good, but I think my favorite part is when the leviathan's (dragon we haven't met yet) face is singing along while something is being chopped at a factory [@1:15], but there are so many great, creative visual moments in that OP.

My favorite opening that hasn't been mentioned yet is ACCA's:

The tune keeps getting stuck in my head, and again, great visuals. But it looks like it was storyboarded by Natsume Shingo (Space Dandy director), so I shouldn't really be surprised.

It's their deadpan expressions while wiggling that get me every time. Kanna and our yet to appear dragon's especially. :D

That ACCA op started off with a Lupin tinge to me before morphing near immediately into E7's second op, the rapping one. :D Visuals even reminded me of Fujiko Mine just a bit.

It's their deadpan expressions while wiggling that get me every time. Kanna and our yet to appear dragon's especially. :D

That ACCA op started off with a Lupin tinge to me before morphing near immediately into E7's second op, the rapping one. :D Visuals even reminded me of Fujiko Mine just a bit.

For some reason, it reminded me a bit of Samurai Champloo's OP, but I think that was the more rap-like song. But I can definitely feel some Lupin vibes.

• 1 month later...

I'm kind of bored and have been mulling about this idea for a while.

Plus, I thought I'd just post it here rather than make a new thread.

I remember when we'd do the occasional mid-season ratings/rankings in the old forum. I thought it'd be nice to do it here (even if we're closer to the end of the season than anything) but hey! I can just do this myself if no one else is interested. I'll be sure to update this again when the season ends.

For me, personally, I'd rank everything I'm watching as such:

1. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2

3. ACCA

4. Little Witch Academia

5. March Comes in Like a Lion

6. Kuzu no Honkai (by no means is this highly rated imo, but it's certainly held my interest every week to make me want to see what happens next)

7.Minami Kamamura Cycling Club

8. Gabriel Dropout

9. Demi-chan

10. Yowapeda S3

11. Seiren

Dragon Maid and Rakugo are most likely to swap depending on the outcome of both. Maybe ACCA as well, but I feel like it'll stay in its #3 ranking.

I really wish LWA were actually simulcast than being delayed on Netflix but I'm sure it'll gain a wider audience when that time comes.

Kuzu no Honkai is a roller coaster and lately there have been things about it I've really liked and things about it I've really hated.

Minami Kamakura is a surprise for me. I tend to zone out during the cycling and racing terms since I already know them, but it's much more enjoyable when they're visiting different places and just having fun!

Gabriel Dropout was at least in the top 5 in the beginning but my enjoyment has waned since then. It's really nothing special.

Demi-chan is just ok. The characters don't really appeal to me that much, except for best girl Yuki. But it's still enough to give me some enjoyment on a weekend.

I zone out a lot during Yowapeda for someone who was really into the first season.

Seiren is hot garbage and I'm kind of hate watching it but it has its moments. The whole first arc with that one girl was awful. Second arc was better. Third arc? We'll see.

Tired so I'll be brief. Top 3 for me are still Kobayashi/Rakugo tied as #1 and Konosuba a solid #3. After that? Dunno. Maybe Urara. It's unassuming so it's very easy to overlook, but it does the cgdct stuff very well and is always good for a pickmeup. 3-gatsu's second cour is interesting. I got insulted on MAL for saying I preferred the first cour last week, but I do. I've sorely missed the sisters these last several episodes and Shimada's arc didn't do much for me. Still a solid show though absolutely.

Twin Star and Rewrite are both grueling to watch/can't end fast enough. :D

I was thinking about watching Urara for a while and I might just do that if Gabriel and Demi-chan don't pull their weight.

As for 3-gatsu, I agree about the lack of sister time. I'm a couple of episodes behind actually and intend to catch up this weekend, so I hope they'll get more screentime very soon. (1st cour had a better OP and ED anyway)